My 1/72nd Bandai X-wing build

bcds

Hi all and glad i found this forum i am planing to build a 1/72nd x-wing but instead of building it like all the others my plan is to build it has seen on the Yavin Base not in flight mode or battle mode my reason because of the big differences seen in a new hope from when Luke leaves Yavin to when hes in space and fighting. Also this Iconic image that lots of modelers have used is not Red 5 it is Red 6 Luke never fly's next to another X-wing in the trench on the Deathstar. So my Question is which Paint should i use to do the stripes and what color would you call the Grey used on the X-wing?

Attachments

• x-wing-fighters.jpg
    x-wing-fighters.jpg
    725.2 KB · Views: 172
Base grey: Tamiya insignia White is a pretty good starting point. Thus is a rattle can however. I mix my own with Tamiya bottle white + a few drops of deck tan.

Turbolaser Stripes I use Tamiya blue-gray again out of the bottle like X-66, don't quote me on the right bottle #.

Red I use Tamiya again but darken it with some Red-brown.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The pic is definitely the studio model for Red 5. That's not to say they didn't have plenty of continuity errors in the film (one shot for example has two Red 5's in it)

As far as the color for X-wings, there are lots of different preferences. Some use a mix of white and a little bit of tan over a black base, others have gone with colors like Tamiya AS-20

For the Red, I use P3 Skorne Red straight from the bottle (simply because I have it on hand) It's a nice dark red. A mix of hull red and red from the Tamiya line is probably what I would use if using Tamiya paints

Cool all colors i have but was thinking maybe add a little black to the base greyView attachment 722442

Based on the spade like marking near the torpedo tube and the continuous unbroken red stripe, I would say you might try painting it more along the lines of the Red 2 studio model. I believe that was the only one that had those marking near the torpedo tubes. It sure looks like it was possibly used as the basis for the full size props color scheme

http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=2199

For a red i was thinking of Hull red from Tamiya possibly even using Gundam 07 red has for the gray was thinking something along the lines of Humbrol Matt 64

That is the studio model for Red 5.

Red 6 is completely different. For one, the canopy is a dark red, not the light blue on Red 1, 2, 3, and 5.

Some good reference for Red 6 is here: http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=40137

That is the reference I am using for my studio scale Red 6 I am in process of painting.

I painted the entire model with a undercoat of Tamiya German Grey, then airbrushed on a coat of Tamiya Flat white. Made a nice base to work off of.
I don't remember what red I used for the squadron stripes, but I can get it for you when I get home.

Edited to add: I used Tamiya Flat Red with a bit of white mixed in for the squadron stripe. I think it's a little bright, but should be ok once it's weathered.

Last edited:
I used Humbrol 64 thinned with white it gave a pretty good light grey look and the Hull red was a bit dull but the Gundam red matched the red pieces almost perfect

- - - Updated - - -

Also building the A-wing and the hull red is almost a perfect match for the precolor plastic has well

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back