Rogue one death trooper helmet weathering and mods

Flyscriber

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi folks.
Here's another little job I've had on the bench recently.
Its an Anovos Deathtrooper helmet from Rogue one.
It is great helmet, but the details on the nose are a little rounded and look sqidgy, as if the mold has been designed for quick release, and it just doesn't look square.
andy preston death trooper repaint and mods 1.jpgIf we zoom in a bit, we can see the rounded feel of the edges. I have filed this as carefully as I can to try to bring everything into line, but it just doesn't look correct.
andy preston death trooper repaint and mods 2.jpgI have given it a preliminary shot of gunmetal over the original silver to make it a little less "black and white" but the grills below the louvres are all out of line. The filed areas just don't cut it. So I modelled a new version in cad to get some SLS prints done. I am going to remove all the front detail and replace it with new.
AP helmet faceplate details.jpgfinal print model 1.jpg

So once I had received he printed front details I removed the front grill and lower louvres ready for the printed parts to go onto.
faeplate 2.jpgprinted part shown next to the original. There is a little surface texture from the printing process, but with a little light sanding it came out great.
andy preston death trooper repaint and mods 5.jpgfront detail carefully removed and flattened off.
andy preston death trooper repaint and mods 6.jpgreplaced with the new printed version ready for filling and making good.
andy preston death trooper repaint and mods 7.jpglower grill louvres replaced with plasticard to give the correct saw tooth finish to the details as seen in this reference image.
louvres comparison.jpgalso note the weathering colours and surface scratches on this original used helmet. This will be replicated on the final finished repaint. Bear in mind that this is a full flash image and the pigments in the colours are luminous compared to natural light,

so next is the range finder. The client wanted it to be removable, so I carefully peeled back the internal lining and padding to make enough space for some strong magnets. The client supplied a range finder from a Deathtrooper Bluetooth speaker, which is a one to one scale piece. The mating surfaces were a little out of line so I had to remake the mating surfaces (where it fits to the helmet) and install magnets for attaching the range finder.
andy preston death trooper repaint and mods 8.jpgThe range finder fitted with a lot of sanding and filling to bring the surfaces into line, and remove the nasty orange peel paint effect.
andy preston death trooper repaint and mods 9.jpgSo now I have a much nicer front grill assembly and a removable range finder.
Next comes the weathering and final paint. More soon folks. Cheers :)

next stage is here, some weathering and tons of surface scratching.
andy preston death trooper repaint and mods 10.jpgThe silver areas are all repainted with two gun metal shades, the surface was individually scratched and made to have some kind of history.
andy preston death trooper repaint and mods 12.jpgThe range finder has been knocked back to a satin finish to match the ring around the helmet and weathered. also a small panel has been added to the front face of the range finder to match the references.
andy preston death trooper repaint and mods 13.jpgMasked and ready for the gun metal and silver, topped off with a few layers of weathering in greys and brown greys.
andy preston death trooper repaint and mods 14.jpgThis is a close up of the weathering, you can see how the pigments jump out from the black in bright light. In reality they are a lot more subtle, just like the reference images.
andy preston death trooper repaint and mods 16.jpgAlmost there in this image, the front is knocked back and detailed with the scratches and recesses enhanced with the lighter weathering colours.
andy preston death trooper repaint and mods 17.jpgSo here we have the surface scratched version, all weathered up and looking mean. Range finder is fitted with its new panel and airbrushing. Paint chips are all done now.

So here are a few shots of the finished thing.
andy preston death trooper repaint and mods 18.jpg
andy preston death trooper repaint and mods 19.jpgandy preston death trooper repaint and mods 20.jpg
and a video if your interested.

I have a few of these 3d printed face details available final print model 1.jpg
If anyone would like one please check out the junkyard or pm me.

Thanks everyone

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back