Iron man Mk42/43

HolyStark

Hi everyone,

New to the forum and I've decided to start building my very own iron man suit. Im going to be basing the suit on the mk42/43 (I haven't decided on which colour scheme to go for yet).

Ive never built a costume before so I'll be learning as I go. I'll keep the thread updated as often as possible.

I've made a little start and have been building the helmet to begin with (seems like everyone's favourite part). I've been sculpting it out of clay on a polystyrene head. I've got a couple of pics as soon as I figure out how to upload them. Any feedback or criticisms would be greatly appreciated.

Here's some pics. I think it still needs a little work but looking ok so far.

Last edited:
youre kidding right?
why start sculpting as your first way to build? its one of the most difficult methods. obviously.

Go on download pepakura and some of the files that are available.

I understand it's more diffcult. I did have a look at some of the pepakura files before starting sculpting, but the sizes were a lot bigger than body shape and to be honest I have no idea about scaling them down etc.

So I've decided to start things from scratch this way and see how it goes

i think this helmet can be used only for practice your sculpting skills - to fix all shapes and angles you need to spend too much time. Maybe you should try to make it with pepakura? We can help if you will have some questions.
Or you can do some thing like this
avengers_helmets_custom_mods_by_michaelloh-d4yrx7t.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty much what everybody else is saying here,I'd definitely go with pepakura on this one and simply scale it to fit your head,it's very easy to do.
If you still like the sculpting aspect of a build,you can go with resin and bondo or other coating methods which will end up requiring full sanding and slight modifications anyways so you'll still have a hand built method,so to speak.
youll spend way too much time if you sculpt it from scratch like this,we're here to help and encourage each other so I want to see my fellow iron man builders succeed

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back