BTTF Time Circuits

CJ2319

I had forgotten that I made this like 2 years ago but I never got around to building the enclosure and I'd like to. As I recall, at the time I found conflicting information about the sizing of the project boxes, including information from a guy claiming to have worked on restoring the DeLorean who gave mathematically impossible dimensions. Anyways... I don't know almost anything about metal work. Can anyone suggest the best, or most practical method for building the enclosure? Laser cutting sounds great but ridiculously expensive for metal. Anyone make one that can advise? Thanks.

20170302_194406.jpg

I had forgotten that I made this like 2 years ago but I never got around to building the enclosure and I'd like to. As I recall, at the time I found conflicting information about the sizing of the project boxes, including information from a guy claiming to have worked on restoring the DeLorean who gave mathematically impossible dimensions. Anyways... I don't know almost anything about metal work. Can anyone suggest the best, or most practical method for building the enclosure? Laser cutting sounds great but ridiculously expensive for metal. Anyone make one that can advise? Thanks.

View attachment 722180

shapeways prints metal, but it's rediculously epxensive.

i'd love to make something like that... but no idea how.

Maybe do it in thin wood for the structure, then buy the thin sheets of metal that you can cut with tin shears and bend over edges. If you wrap the wood strategically, and then assemble it to hide all the seams, it should convincingly look like solid metal.

Nice! I was gonna try sealed foamboard and use hot glue as the weld parts, glad to see other ways of recreating it without being exactly as the original :)

I thought about foam board too. I might go that route but I hate to cheap out after putting so much time into the electronics.

If you've got time, I've found one can do some basic metal work with a simple jig-saw and a metal blade. You will likely be surprised by what you can manage with about ~$50 for a saw and a set of metal blades and cutting oil. (and rather than paying for a one-off project you'll have tools for later projects). For bends I've been using a cheap metal break from Harbor Freight, after picking up some small clamps all of that set me back ~$30. It does require a bit of planning to layout, and some creativity to overcome the limitations of the break for inside bends, however givewn the saw and the break well under $100 total will have you set for a variety of options working with sheet metal, provided it's not too thick. Even the thickness limit can be fudged with a bit more cuttiong oil, patience, and dremel work to overcome the gauge limit of the break.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back