Overwatch Reaper - My First RPF post

pazscall

Hi,

So I've been debating if what I'm building is good enough to post to this forum, 'cause most of the things I see is simply mind blowing. Also It's been done before (most of my inspiration comes from this post http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=262889&highlight=overwatch+reaper).

But I figured why not. I'm building a this Reaper costume for the Calgary Comic Expo at the end of April. I started this build back in June 2016 so most of my progress was slow and steady because I didn't have much time to focus on it for long periods of time.

Most of the files I used come from these pepakura files https://www.pepakura.eu/overwatch-reaper-armor/

I started with the mask:
- build from pepakura file
- Resin, Bondo, Sanding, Patching and priming
- Rebound 25 mold with plaster bandages mother mold ( FIRST TIME DOING THIS!!!)
- Smooth Cast 65D Pull
1.jpg3.jpg6.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg

It came out pretty well, made a few copies to test painting and padding installation.

Worked on the boots next.

Made the chin guard from the same pepakura files that I modified to use EVA foam.
14.jpg

The white piece comes from an attempt to vacuum form an EVA model that I build. It didn't go so well but I'm still happy with the results. I decided to vacuum form it to make it sturdier and have both pieces be identical.

15.jpg

For the boot heel and front, I wanted to get the look in the shape of reapers boot. That meant converting a round front to a more flat front. To do this I wrapped the boot in plastic wrap, then covered it with duct tape and traces the pattern on. Once I had the patterns, I transferred them to to foam and just glued them onto the boot.

- Sanded, kwik seal and plati dip
- Added a latch buckle in the back of the chin guard

Really happy with the results
13.jpg

If I have time I'll try to add LED light for the red eye parts

Armor:

Had the pepakura file for the armor but I couldn't get it to scale properly, so I decided to take this dress form, wrap it in plastic wrap, covered it in duct tape and free hand the pattern on.
11.jpg

This came out very nice and clean.

For painting I found a tutorial on youtube on how to simulate carbon fiber.
The results where pretty amazing
12.jpg

Coat:

That coat was a pain..... :cry

Got a really nice deal on the pleather material, couldn't get it in black but was able to get 10m for 32$ TOTAL!!!!!

18.jpg

Picked up a nice trench coat pattern from McCalls Yaya han collection. Had to add a hood, cut the sleeves and collar and modify the shoulders.
M7374-2.jpg

It was the first time that I worked with this type of material. It is very sticky and fragile.
Here are some lessons learned from this adventure.
- Get a roller foot and a teflon foot to prevent sticking
- Get some fusible interfacing
- Put petroleum jelly on pieces to be sown (just touch your finger in the petroleum jelly.... nothing more )

Hood was easy to do, already had built a Kylo Ren costume so I reused that pattern with minor alterations.
I wanted the hood tip to stand out in the back, I knew I needed some sort of boning to get it to stay. Tried craft foam but it was too soft, then I remembered hearing Core Geek say that you can sew worbla. That's what I ended up doing

16.jpg

Took a while to get the shoulder pattern just right. Had to test a few different puffy sleeve patterns with scrap material.

Here is the final version with armor, mask and bullets

20.jpg

Worked on the back spinal plates tonight.

Layered some EVA then traced out the pattern from a pep file.

Had fun cutting out all the different angles on the bandsaw

I'll go over them tomorrow with a dremel to refine the edges.

38d464f7c9048bb2fefadc01e9a347bc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I think it's awesome to see your progress and I appreciate that you took photos of the whole process! That's really cool. How long did it take you to make the whole thing? Looks great btw hopefully everything goes well at the con!

I think it's awesome to see your progress and I appreciate that you took photos of the whole process! That's really cool. How long did it take you to make the whole thing? Looks great btw hopefully everything goes well at the con!

Thank you!

I started working on this on and off back in June spending 1 ~ 2hr on weekends.

- Mask took about a week with Pepakura and learning how to make Molds and cast it

- Boots where fairly simple took about 16hrs

- Coat took me 24hrs to build and was the most challenging

Working on the belts, fairly simple.

Wrapping craft foam with fabric and sewing it together.

Attaching the elastic band was a little challenging cause the foam and fabric wasn't strong enough to hold the stitching. I had to add a stronger interfacing material in the back to get it to stay

ef50f074b6d07bf81f74ada92c538840.jpg

Buckles where easy easy to do
1691be096e81ff26ffce227445099769.jpg

Now to get the belts to sit properly on the body will be a challenge. I'm think magnets or Velcro but I'm not sure yet. Ideas anyone?

pazscall I was trying to quote you but it seems like I can't do it so I'll have to reply that way.

Anyway, thanks for the information! Wow, this really does take extremely long to make. How long do you think it'll take you until you're finished with the whole costume?

Last edited by a moderator:
@pazscall I was trying to quote you but it seems like I can't do it so I'll have to reply that way.

Anyway, thanks for the information! Wow, this really does take extremely long to make. How long do you think it'll take you until you're finished with the whole costume?

I'm very advanced with everything, I mainly have painting to do and the reaper medallion to sculpt. I should be done this weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's how I did the gauntlets:

Used a duct tape cast of my forearm as a guide. I then created the shape that I wanted using bubble wrap, plastic wrap and duct tape.
a317fbfb5c9891dd87113a3bd0c1c2f3.jpg

From that I created patterns to cut the foam.

Molded the knives using rebound 25 and smooth-cast 65d.

I shaped the right gauntlet triangle guard out of apoxy sculpt.

Added Eva foam as straps.
77aa61048eaf98f9c01e2691f14b120e.jpg

Still need to weather the straps and left gauntlet, but I really like the size and feel...(since I have puny arms)

Keep up the great work. I'm working on my son's reaper off and on at the moment..draggin my heals as the deadline approaches as usual :) .. you're keeping me inspired.

Got the spine plates installed

Primed
585da23a1214f7758679e9b3f7c60f2e.jpg

Painted: used plasti dip gun medal and plasti dip pearliser gives this great finish
1c41534af2296c2c1087de7ec7b412d3.jpg

Weathered with a black wash and installed using rare earth 3/4 magnets
9c5a415ea9b4b9ef70082aac6d498131.jpg

Completed the work on the gloves

Used a lathe to make the spike, that I then molded and cast.

e883c7fbb1484d8910f84f416cc9de97.jpg

Created the claws from the pep file, coated it with resin and refined it using apoxy sculpt. Created a 2 part mold (my first one!!!) and cast the rest.

f0948de6165fd4687daec035b9a2ca11.jpg

Installed Velcro in the claws and on the gloves to prevent them from falling.

Here is the final result.
18c9d5a0505f1fc0100210467556572c.jpg

348e59f2fb8f54cb65c251d6677d22ad.jpg

The claws are really awkward but look really good.

Next step, parade and Con!!!!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back