New Project- Star Wars Millennium Falcon Boys Bedroom

Illgotten

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I am starting a new project. It has been in the mix since November but the rubber now has to hit the road. I am going to demo two bedrooms in my home and turn them into one bedroom for my 3 boys. I intend to create a Star Wars themed bedroom. Not just with posters, bedding, and crossed light sabers hanging on the wall but an open the door and walk onto the Millennium Falcon type of room. Walk from my carpeted hallway into another galaxy far, far away type of bedroom. I did this for my girls last year when they told me they wanted a Harry Potter themed room. I started a blog part way through making their Diagon Alley bedroom which you can check out here if you want- http://diagonallleybedroom.blogspot.com

So here are my design ideas/ considerations:

Goal- Recreate a believable "Star Wars" space within my boys bedroom.

-Millennium Falcon is the best know prop which carries through old and new generations.

-The cockpit is probably the most recognizable space.

-The room must still maintain some functionality. Namely the ability to sleep 3 people, hang/ store clothes, and have space for personal items such as toys, trophies, books, and other things the boys may deem as important to them.
I took measurements of the room and sketched out my first pass at what the room might contain. Here is what I came up with:
Flacon Room Blueprint Noted.jpg
I am not going to bother with reference photos of the movie here as most of you probably already know them.

Tools at my immediate disposal are:

- Approximately 2k sqft. of shop space
- Most all general construction tools including various saws (radial, table, jig etc.), drills, nail guns, painting, concrete, woodworking, electrical etc..
- standard printers, 24" full color paper plotter, & 48" full color vinyl printer/plotter
- (2) 3D printers
- Metal fab shop with common welding tools, grinders, benders, and a plasma laser cutting bed. (no CNC machining tools)
- all electronic wiring and circuitry gear such as soldering guns, bread boards etc..
- Adobe Creative suite. Some programs I am proficient with, others... not so much. I have Fusion360 as well but only a couple of hours of practice thus far.

Some elements of the room I have already figured out how to do. 3D printing the hall lights and some greeblies (Thank you thingiverse contributors!), fabbing the ladder out of steel, Creating the star field out of fiber optic lighting, Pneumatic pistons/controls for the doors, Kit blaster from Dark Energy Creations, & Plexi for the cockpit windows.

Some elements I am still stuck on. Build or buy C3PO? Which elements of the cockpit am I going to keep and which will I disregard or throw out? Part of that is how to recreate elements of the cockpit I can't easily print or fab myself? The level of authenticity of the cockpit is probably my biggest juggle and dilemma. It is going to be a balance between screen accurate components and making the cockpit serve some functional/ usable purpose. The Disney cruise ship gave allot of permission to deviate from screen accuracy when they created their cruise ship version pictured here:
7272776_visit-the-millennium-falcon-aboard-the-disney_f7a0563c_m.jpg
Having said that, I want to keep as many elements as possible to make sure that when someone walks though the blast doors there is no mistaking where you just walked into. Oh, and why double blast doors coming into the Falcon? 2 reasons. One was overhead/attic space is too shallow for a vertical raising entrance and second, I wanted a nice big opening to the room. This blast door will be seen walking down my hallway to the guest bathroom from outside of the bedroom. There will be no regular hinged door. If someone pushes the button to enter I will have a 40" opening to greet them into the space. I haven't drawn up the exact design of the doors yet but the inspiration comes from this among other photos:
Trade_Federation_Blast_Door_Episode_I.png
I plan on having an access panel on the right side with all of the bells, whistles, lights, and whooshing sounds to accompany its use.

Back to the cockpit- I debated making the cockpit a fancy desk space for doing homework but decided against that as the yokes and buttons that litter the dash would have to be sacrificed. I cannot fit all of the cockpit into the space I have to work with so I cut out the back wall and am not sure if I should keep the back pair of seats or nix them like the cruise ship did. How screen accurate can I make the seats? Keep in mind everything in the cockpit will get played with by little kids very regularly so if an element is delicate or dangerous it won't work. I also intend my buttons and switches to do something. I have purchased several Ardiuno's to help make this happen which means that some of the screen accurate lights, sliders, and switches wont be right for my build. I have already purchased several boxes full of new and used arcade buttons joysticks and misc. parts but am not certain how much of it I want to use. For the moment my idea for the cockpit is to have it double as a gaming station. I thought about making it a retro-arcade at first. That is what is drawn on the plans. But I am leaning more towards standard gaming consoles tucked away under the dashboard with a 60" TV that would raise up from behind the control console when the "hypespace" lever is pulled. Wireless controllers could be kept in pouches on the sides of the seats or in the center console somewhere. Disney Cruise ship built the TV into the cockpit window but that isn't practical for making a usable screen for movie watching or game playing. I also wanted the star-scape to surround you in the cockpit which the Cruise ship does not do.

So why post this here? Because this is the ultimate community for this kind of stuff. I am hoping for suggestions, input, "Danger Will Robinson", any advice that will help me in this. Or just follow along as I go about this over the following months. I'm just glad I ran into the RPF. Yay, internet!

Hey Illgotten ! That's a very ambitious project! Good Luck with it! I know I wouldn't be able to finish something of that scale before they were all grown up. You should definitely have them help you along the way... it's their room after all. And if they're old enough, they'll never forget the time spent building the Millenium Falcon with their dad!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey @Illgotten ! That's a very ambitious project! Good Luck with it! I know I wouldn't be able to finish something of that scale before they were all grown up. You should definitely have them help you along the way... it's their room after all. And if they're old enough, they'll never forget the time spent building the Millenium Falcon with their dad!

They are pretty excited about the idea of getting to punch holes in their wall for demolition and not get in trouble for it.

I would say if you are going to keep the back seats maybe go along the route of having there control panel to be the fancy desk and have the main dashboard have all the fancy buttons and lights since then you still have functionality as well as looks.

Overall super interested in this going to look amazing wanna come do my apartment to look like a falcon :D lol best of luck any way man

Hey IG,

VERY COOL project! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with! Let me know if I can be of any help! :)

A falcon project that would have to move when you do..... now that would be a challenge!
@ OdiWan72- Thanks For checkin' it out. I am honestly much more excited about this one though!
@ SofaKing01- You have your hands full! Thanks for being willing but it is I who should be offering. There are certainly things I could use your advice/expertise on but I'm not going to pester you about it. I'll post updates and you (or anyone) feel free to chime in whenever you can. I appreciate the input.

Last edited:
Not meaning to leave anyone in the dark here but demolition is not very exciting. I spent the last couple of weeks demolishing the two old rooms and creating the blank canvas to start building. I am close to complete with the demolition but decided to forgo some of it so I could get up into the attic and do the work up there before the summer heat sets in.

I am putting a loft style bed in the attic space which required some re-engineering of the rafters and will take a week or more to get the space framed, wired, re-insulated, and sheet rocked. Temperatures in my state are steadily climbing so I wanted to get this done before the attic heat becomes unbearable. I intend on having the gunner ladder lead to this loft space. Here are some progress... or do you call it retrogression pics if you are tearing out perfectly good rooms?.... Hmmmm

The first few pics are 'before' shots just to give an idea of my existing space. The last few are both spaces opened up with the ceiling torn out out and the platform for the loft built except for the loft entrance (This weeks to-do).

IMG_3880.JPGIMG_3881.JPGView attachment IMG_3890.JPGView attachment IMG_3891.JPGIMG_3999.JPGIMG_4003.JPGIMG_4019.JPG

Like I said, not much to look at but the demo work takes lots of time and is very labor intensive. Knocking down the ceilings and having 50 years worth of dusty insulation come crashing into the room is YUCKY stuff. My two boys were determined not to sit on the sidelines though so I suited them up and they stuck with me all day long hauling debris out.

This next week or two will be devoted to getting the attic space sealed back up. Then I can take more time to enjoy the next step which will be installing the closet and blast door. See ya next update.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back