Alternative Molding/Casting Products

Kaptainkirk

Does anyone have any experience with any other products that arent smooth-on?
I'm very familiar with it and have a lot of good uses with them. But, I'm jsut curious if theres something else out there that people use
that may be a little bit cheaper. Smooth-ons gallons are roughly 150-180.
Does anyone know about the RTV-22 mold making products?
I'm casting a bunch of helmets and parts, and just trying to save some bucks where I can.​

I'm not familiar with other products because whenever I hear or see results of them, I tend to shy away. I'd rather have something that costs more but works each and everytime.

That said, there are ways to get the most out of your material with mother molds, etc. or completely different materials lie casting latex based on your needs or project.

Also keep in mind, Smooth-On has a weird way of labeling their stuff. You have to go by weight and specific gravity. Water weighs roughly 8 pounds per gallon, a one gallon kit of Smooth Cast is 16 lbs at a specific gravity close to water. When you get the box, the gallon kit of Smoothcast is actually 2 gallons.

Does anyone have any experience with any other products that arent smooth-on?
I'm very familiar with it and have a lot of good uses with them. But, I'm jsut curious if theres something else out there that people use
that may be a little bit cheaper. Smooth-ons gallons are roughly 150-180.
Does anyone know about the RTV-22 mold making products?
I'm casting a bunch of helmets and parts, and just trying to save some bucks where I can.​
RTV22 should be Room Temperature Valcanizing with a shore of A22. If it is additive silicone, it should be the same as any other brand of additive silicone that has a shore of A22. The only thing that might be different is the potlife.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back