Connecting a foam core part to a wooden part.

DetroMental

So I'm building the Burial Blade from bloodborne. I plan on making the handle for the blade out of wood, and the blade out of multiple layers of foam core. Any tips as to how I could adhese a wooden and a foam core part together? The contact point between the wood and foam is only going to be about 4 x 1 1/2 inches, and I'm not sure what would be strong enough to hold the pieces together.

Will it be a butt joint? Butt joints are never going to be very strong, no matter what glue you use.

I'd suggest using dowels or biscuits to strengthen the butt joint. Or you could extend some of the foam core out past the blade and sandwich that between layers of wood in the handle. Essentially, you'd make a tang out of the foam core to strengthen the connection between the blade and the handle.

Also, how big will this prop be? If the blade is 4" x 1 1/2", that sounds large. You might have to reinforce the foam core so it doesn't bend or snap.along its length.

You could run a dowel or wire armature up the inside of the blade to strengthen it, then use that to connect to the handle.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back