Working on props for a short film

harrisonp

Sr Member
I've slowly (over the past 3-4 months) been working on some props for a short fan film my friends and I are making, and now they're in a "not terrible" state so I figured I could share them!

Designed some close enough/inspired by the franchise electrobinoculars, as well as a couple of A295 blaster rifles. Operating on a very low budget so most of it is a little rough and DIY with found parts or from scratch.

http://imgur.com/6ZD8qkh

http://imgur.com/1kbkxe3

Just wrapped this up yesterday, it's obviously in the vein of the Hoth/Endor trooper packs but ended up a little overscaled. It'll be a "communicator" pack in our short and overall I'm pretty happy with how it came out

CO1IGgw.jpgu5RGjPQ.jpgGdQCQ4Z.jpgAJvHKg3.jpg

Last edited:
very nice work, well done!
Hey thanks! I realize I never posted the link to the short so here it is if anyone is interested in seeing it in action.
The DH-17s, Bunker bomb and thermal detonator were made by another one of the guys in the short (Mr. “get to the woods”) and he was a great help as I was busy trying to dress everybody somewhat believably.

Thank you guys for watching! Effectively everyone who was onscreen was also the crew and I don’t think we ever had a day with 100% attendance so there was a lot of wearing multiple hats.

Well, let me know when you are! I’m working on an outfit now- goal is to be as cheap as possible yet still look good for the universe. Check out this jacket I got for under $20:

327C9FF5-4AED-4C63-B319-1A18773E0107.jpeg

Made in the UK; snaps, no zipper. No knit cuffs or waistband either. The angled pockets... I need to modify the collar, and that’s about it. By “I” I mean I need to bring it to a tailor to fix.

I did a search for size large jackets, starting with the lowest price first. I had picked a few others as well, but I just knew this one was the right one.

I also grabbed this cool-as-heck duty belt for $5 at the army-navy store. (They have lots of neat pouches etc. too) It is pre-weathered! Solid brass buckle with od green paint chipped on the edges. I may replace the stiff webbing with leather, or maybe not. No idea what era/country this is from but it’s great.

84BE5237-354A-4BB2-B6D4-1AAB5DF1C834.jpeg

I also grabbed this cool-as-heck duty belt for $5 at the army-navy store. (They have lots of neat pouches etc. too) It is pre-weathered! Solid brass buckle with od green paint chipped on the edges. I may replace the stiff webbing with leather, or maybe not. No idea what era/country this is from but it’s great.

View attachment 1438537
looks like you've got some great possibilities there. You've got me wondering now about my jacket, had this for years lol
JPEG_20210320_092341_4145546488924872498.jpg

on the shirt that Hodge (green shirt with Endor-esque helmet) is wearing in the short I took the normal collar like the ones on your jackets and folded them inward at about the halway point and then stitched a couple lines through at about 1/4 intervals. Made it into a nice stand collar with very little effort.

Edit: Looking at the short now though his collar is mostly all bent out of shape for the whole thing so maybe I spoke too soon :lol: I think I'm misremembering and actually did what I said above to a Dickies shirt that I was going to try to have most of us wear but ended up being too expensive, which lead to all of the regular crew neck shirts we ended up with. I don't have a picture at the moment but I can add one in the morning of that shirts collar.

Last edited:
that's a great tip, thanks!
on the shirt that Hodge (green shirt with Endor-esque helmet) is wearing in the short I took the normal collar like the ones on your jackets and folded them inward at about the halway point and then stitched a couple lines through at about 1/4 intervals. Made it into a nice stand collar with very little effort. Looking at the short now though his collar is mostly all bent out of shape for the whole thing so maybe I spoke too soon :lol:

you'll probably want to fold the pointed portion of the collar in on itself too and stitch it inside of the material folded down on top of it but I'm sure you could have figured that part out lol

The Mandarin collar is sort of a “thing” that translates well. That green jacket has a fancier collar design (mini lapel) that might be trickier.

OR, do a stand collar and wrap the front, maybe adding a leather strap. A bit of insignia or rank above the pocket(s) on the front would do a lot.

Maybe some color stripes on one sleeve.

At the army navy I saw a (small size!) lined duster. I thought about taking the lining out and cutting the sleeves off, to make a very long vest. Set up with a two-blaster rig and you are on your way... but not regular rebel garb. That’d be smuggler/fringe stuff.

Well, let me know when you are! I’m working on an outfit now- goal is to be as cheap as possible yet still look good for the universe. Check out this jacket I got for under $20:

View attachment 1438504
Made in the UK; snaps, no zipper. No knit cuffs or waistband either. The angled pockets... I need to modify the collar, and that’s about it. By “I” I mean I need to bring it to a tailor to fix.

I did a search for size large jackets, starting with the lowest price first. I had picked a few others as well, but I just knew this one was the right one.
4682C803-A034-4DAB-9FC1-D1B710751CE2.jpeg

You could add some interesting shoulder detail like I’ve pictured here, maybe something ribbed or pleated (kind of like the top of the Endor helmets?), add a greeblie along the breast.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back