Sully, Mike Wazowski, Boo Monsters Inc Costumes. Disney

nbehling

This year I am starting my halloween costume early, We have a fall Con and I want to be able to wear them there this year. I am a bit tired of the bar costume contest scene.

Anywho, I want to make a LARGE Sully costume. with internal structure and puppet features to really bring him to life.

I am also going to build a "Carry Costume" for my wife that will be Mike carrying Boo on his shoulders. That way they can be proportionately the right size compared to Sully.

Any advice would be helpful. This will be the first Puppet style build.

FullSizeRender 2.jpgFullSizeRender.jpg14547712_1822948297981074_5722182995725516800_n.jpg

Hey buddy, both of those are awesome ideas [emoji1][emoji106]

Looking at your wife's drawing, my only concern would be that her knees would be at the bottom of Mike's body.

So when your wife walks, mikey would twist each way as she stepped.

I would cut front to back slots instead of individual holes to keep Mikey straight as she walked [emoji106]

SummitTech Good point. I need to make sure she can walk. HAHA

SO i created some patterns from the sculpt and made a small scale foam mockup. I like the look. Next up will be to make Full Scale Foam mock up. Screen Shot 2017-04-11 at 11.34.18 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-04-11 at 11.34.24 AM.pngIMG_8122.JPGIMG_8124.JPGIMG_8127.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had a dream to build Sully myself but haven't gotten around to concept yet.

I was thinking I would either go with a foam base or possibly a pvc pipe sub structure with foam and cloth exterior.

The only thing that I am having a hard time with at this point is figuring out what to use for Sully's hair. What are you planning on using?

DruidsFlame . I Have been struggling to figure out what I am doing for his hair. I found long pile faux gorrila fur. It's a 3.5" pile and is the longest blue fur I can fine.

The other thought is to go the wookie route and hook and latch all the strands. I bought some Kanekalon Jumbo braiding hair to test. I know its time consuming but I would be willing if i ended up with a better result

Last edited by a moderator:
I spent the weekend scaling up my patterns and now I have the Foam framework to build on. I will have to make some small adjustments for fitting purposes but I couldn't resist just putting the pieces on and seeing how BIG this thing is going to be!

IMG_8294.JPGIMG_8287.JPGIMG_7977.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8294.JPG
    IMG_8294.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 438
That's some really impressive mobility, and the mike and boo costume is looking good too. Did you ever decide what you were gonna skin sully with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks gothic
I was always concerned with the scale of Boo and Mike compared to Sully. Stacking them seemed like the most logical answer!

Wimismith Thanks!! I found an awesome fabric with a 4" pile. It is long enough to sew on and give him a haircut
It is "Shannon Fabric Long Pile Gorilla Fur" from fabric.com

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back