Fixing sags and texture in Plasti Dip

Zinger

Have you ever sprayed Plasti Dip on foam armor and got sags and "orange peel" texture instead of the smooth surface you wanted?

That happened to me today. I Plasti Dipped my daughter's Code Geass Zero helmet. I ended up with a few spots of orange peel and a couple of sags.

I found this video from Fonzie at Dip Your Car. It shows how he repairs flaws in Plasti Dip using paint thinner. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T0jEvxxTzE

I tried the technique with mineral spirits. It worked great. It smoothed out the sags and texture with just a little rubbing.

The technique is easy. Put a small amount of mineral spirits in a shallow container. Put on a blue nitrile glove and dip your finger into the spirits. Rub the area you want to smooth out gently with your finger. The surface of the Plasti Dip will re-liquefy and flow under your finger to get rid of your texture problems. When the Plasti Dip starts to feel tacky, dip your finger again and keep going.

The spirits evaporate quickly. They don't seem to leave any lasting effect on the Plasti Dip. They just make the Dip smoother and shinier.

IMG_20170409_181022.jpgIMG_20170409_181026.jpg

This technique even started to smooth over some of my rougher seams. Tomorrow I'm going to put on another coat and try to hide those seams better.

Naphtha is the best thinner for PD that I've found. When I used brush-on, especially in hot weather, it was a must for keeping the PD from kicking too soon.

I'll give that a try. I used mineral spirits because that's what Plasti Dip recommends for cleaning nozzles.

I've only used the PD spray, working in light coats. Never had any orange peel happen, but at the same time it seems no matter how many coats I give it, the stuff just will not stand up to any handling, even casual handling.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back