Ahsoka Tano Headpiece from silicone and foam

CommanderTano

I'm planning on making an Ahsoka Tano costume and I've been doing loads of research on materials and methods that I might use. In order to have the lekku move like I'd like them to, as well as having the montrals remain upright, I've narrowed my options down to casting silicone and expanding foam from a mold. I have sulfur-free clay for my sculpt and materials for making the mold, but I am a bit wary about buying the silicone and foam that I would need for the cast.

I've been extensively researching all the different silicones and foams on the Smooth-On website and I'm leaning towards using the Dragonskin 10 Medium for a sloshed layer in the cast and then using either expanding foam from the FlexFoam iT! series or Soam Foama 15. I've learned that silicone products tend to respond best to other silicone products, which is why I'm tentative to use the FlexFoam iT!, which is a urethane foam. The Soma Foama 15 is a silicone foam, but has a higher density (15lb/cubed foot) than some of the Flex Foam varieties (anwhere from 14lb/cubed foot to 3lb/cubed foot). I worry that using the higher density foam would make the lekku too stiff to move in a natural and comfortable way.

My questions are:
1. Would the FlexFoam iT! react in an undesirable way when used alongside the silicone layer of the headpiece?
2. Would the Soma Foama 15 be too dense in the lekku portion of the headpiece?

As I have never worked with these materials before, any input on which foam would work better for this particular project would be much appreciated!

Here is the version of Ahsoka that I plan on making. Clone Wars seasons 3-5.

Pad-Ahsoka-Lekku-1.jpeg

I see it's been over a month since you made your post and it doesn't look like anyone replied. Did you complete your Ahsoka lekku? If not, the first thing I would suggest is to contact Smooth-On with your questions. They are really good about responding. I am not an expert, but I believe if you want your expanding foam to bond to the outer layer of the headpiece you need to use a corresponding material (silicone with Soma Foma and Urecoat with Flex Foam-It.) I've worked with Smooth-On silicone products, but not the Flex Foam-It. However, I just ordered some Flex Foam-It and Urecoat that I am hoping will work for Twi'lek lekku. (Silicone looks nice for lekku, but I find it to be rather heavy.)

i too am curious how you have made out? i noticed so many ahsoka cosplays at this years celebration. i was really curious how they made the head piece. i was also wondering if anyone knows what its suppose to be in the show? is it suppose to be actual hair? or is it some kind of trunks?

Numydia, I contacted Smooth-On and requested samples of FlexFoam iT! in various densities so I can decide which would be best for the lekku. The employee that messaged me suggested that I use back pressure in order to have the foam form a skin as it cures (FlexFoam iT! does not self-skin without back pressure like some foams due to the lower densities it comes in). After this suggestion, I have decided to attempt casting the lekku out of FlexFoam without a urethane coating, using the back pressure method. If the foam does not form a skin that would be paintable, I will most likely coat it with brush-on urethane. I am still waiting on the samples of cured FlexFoam iT! after requesting them over a month ago. I will likely start an Ahsoka build thread once I decide on a foam density and have the rest of my materials ready. Thank you for your input!

Halliwax, as stated above, I haven't progessed much further as far as the actual build goes. I'm still doing a lot of research on materials for now. Many Ahsoka cosplayers that I've messaged about the headpiece in the past have used Jedimanda or Ninelivescosplay's youtube tutorials, which use upholstery foam, spandex, and liquid latex. I would like to have more range of motion than an upholstery foam headpiece would allow, so I'm going a different route. Ahsoka is a Togruta and they have montrals (the pointy tips on top of her head) and lekku (the two tail-like things on the sides of her head and the one on the back of her head). I'm not sure what the function of the montrals and lekku are, but I believe I read somewhere that they are blue and white striped to serve as camoflage in the blue and white grasses of the Togruta homeworld. :)

How did this project turn out Commander?
I'm getting ready to Build a Togruta headpiece of my own and have a very similar strategy in mind for the Montrals and Lekku.
Dragon skin would work great for your Top Layers and they have their Psycho Paint for Platinum Silicone, tough to paint already.
FlexFoam-It IV or V are probably your best choice, wiggles a little but still stiff for Lekku and Montrals and yes don't forget to back pressure.
I've used it for Horns and with a little wire inside this stuff works like a charm.
In the Star Wars Universe the Lekku and Montrals are Force Sensitive Organs that also act like a form of echo location for the Togruta people.
Would love to see the progress and results!! Good Luck!

If anyone is interested I have reworked my Ahsoka Tano Pepekura file to make it smoother to build, link can be found in my Pepakura thread :D

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back