Lucius Malfoy - Death eater WIP

Cosmoustache

Greetings, peeps.

I would like to share work in progress on my Lucius Malfoy death eater build.
I’ve set myself tougher challenges for 2017; to improve detail finish as well as to work with materials and techniques that I find intimidating. There’s a lot on the list, however… if you aim for the stars and miss, you may just land on the moon?

For my death eater, I am making the tunic, robes, the Malfoy wand and Lucius’ mask, all using references kindly sourced by your good selves on other threads. Overall, I’m aiming for a respectable movie likeness, whilst mindful of my available budget, time and skill level.

Snitchseeker-dh2promos.jpg

Tunic. I used this guide for measuring and bodice drafting, adapting the pattern for my needs. I did away with the darts, and transferred the curve to the back, to minimise excess fabric. http://www.emmakespatterns.com/draftabasicbodice/
I typically draft a basic pattern first, then redraft based on plain fabric tests. Knowing that the embroidery and faux leather would prevent the garment from stretching, I used a stiff, plain, zero stretch fabric to test my various iterations. I also took care to test the pattern whilst wearing a jumper, keeping in mind the thickness added by wadding.

EDIT_tunicwip2.jpgTMP_fb3.jpg

Fabrics used; faux leather from Goldhawk Road in London, comfy stretch cotton lining from Tia Knight online retailer and 4oz polyester wadding from amazon.

I created a PS blueprint of the snaking chest embroidery from high-resolution photographs of the Harry Potter costume exhibit. Sleeve patterns were adapted by skewing and adjusting the aforementioned. I then copied each printout onto Burda tracing paper for embroidery.
My grandmother’s soviet era sewing machine mostly stood up to the big ask. The three intricate pieces had to be hand cranked through some of the tighter swirls.
Judging from the movie references, the detail panels were attached to the sleeves and chest panel using a tight zigzag, perhaps. However, due to the limits of the equipment available (and due to the high friction of the faux leather), I carefully stitched those on by hand.

EDIT_tunicWIP00.jpgEDIT_tunicWIP01.jpgEDIT_tunicWIP02.jpgEDIT_sleeveWIP00.jpgEDIT_tunicwip05.jpgEDIT_tunicFIN01.jpg

Discounting the patterning and blueprinting phase, the sewing and assembly on the tunic took two solid weeks of finger-blistering work. I am very pleased with how it has turned out; there is a zipper at the back that I can open and close with only minor contortion efforts.
I’ve learned a lot so far and have made streamlining notes for any similar future garments.

Currently finishing the sculpt on the mask. Looking to try rotocasting it this month.
EDIT_maskwip02.jpg

Hopefully, more updates soon. :)
Tah!

Lovely work. Well done!

Met a real Death Eater yesterday - Jon Campling - at Sci Fi Scarborough. He did an amazing wand-fighting workshop. Made me think about doing a Death Eater Costume myself, so I'll be following your work keenly.

Thank you kindly, I really appreciate that.
I'm discovering and learning a lot of this myself, so will share anything that turns out to work. :)

Greetings again. Regular hours have been added onto my Lucius build and I’ve made significant progress.
Pattern for the robes is finished, Malfoy wand is painted and awaiting weathering and death eater mask is sitting under its first silicone gelcoat as I write this!

EDIT_maskmold01.jpg

Here’s a closer look at the belt buckle and my mold making/resin casting activities.
Knowing that the death eater mask will be a huge, scary task, I decided on a smaller project to get any potential mistakes & troubleshooting out of the way first.
Lucius’ death eater costume features small, etched metal buckles that I decided to replicate in clay for the purposes of practice and testing.

EDIT_buckle_wip01.jpg

I used oil-based chavant clay for the sculpt and ‘Polycraft GP-3481-F silicone’ from MBFibreglass. Very pleased with the rubber; great reproduction of even the finest details and no bubbles!

EDIT_bucklewip00.jpg

For the resin, I went with untinted ‘Polycraft SG2000 Polyurethane casting resin’.I lightly dusted the molds with talc, as per general advice.

Let me just say, for a green newbie, watching the resin clouding over was like magic. :D An hour later, the piece was ready to demold. I’m totally turning into cast plastic bit hoarder, because this is fun!

EDIT_castingwip00.jpgEDIT_cast5.jpg
EDIT_cast4.jpg

The pieces aren’t as geometrically precise as I’d like, but it’s a great first test. Besides, I plan to spruce them up with a fine grit wet sand in the coming week.

I feel much more confident regarding rotocasting on the mask now!

Thank you kindly for watching, peeps. I appreciate it. :D
Here's a wordy run-down on my mold-making activities.

So, last Sunday, I took an uncharacteristically adventurous plunge into my first ever brush-up mold. May’s comic convention is fast approaching, and I’m all too aware that even the most lenient estimates end up being doubled for any build.
I started with silicone, and have been building layers throughout this week. Certainly learning about patience here!

EDIT_maskmold02.jpgEDIT_maskmold04.jpg

Feeling confident after the first gelcoat (~60g), I went ahead with the butter coat (~100g, not counting catalyst & thickener). Although the gel had set, areas of it ended up being too thin to protect the clay sculpt underneath. In a future brush up mold, I will double the gelcoat pass.
This should also help fill the deeper crevices and eliminate air bubbles. For the first attempt though, this is no big catastrophe; just a bit more sanding/filling time prior to paint.

I added another two butter coats (~100g & ~70g) and keys. Fun fact: I pre-poured those using an advent calendar tray, because I’m a plastic hoarder. To my best estimation, the crucial areas on the nose, eyesockets and mask edges, should have solid silicone coverage. Lastly, I added one final gelcoat pass (~60g) to smooth the surface and lock everything in.

This morning, I finished the second half of the plaster bandage pass of the jacket. When it’s completely solid tomorrow, I’ll add a final pass with jute ribbon and herculite 2 plaster. Very much hoping to give the rotocast resin a go by this Sunday! Wish me good fortune.

EDIT_maskmold06.jpg

Chemically important things I've learned so far;
It never hurts to check if the silicone and resin are compatible. My supplier has helpfully confirmed that the ‘Polycraft GP-3481-F silicone rubber’ and ‘Polytek EasyFlo 120 rotocast resin’ are indeed so (some of their stock isn't). They also confirmed that the resin is inert once cured and should be skin-safe, provided the prerequisite soapy water scrub (I had to ask, as the data/safety sheet mentioned 'prolonged skin contact' issues).

Be mindful that storing raw material in a warmer environment may reduce its shelflife (for some silicones it's 32C and above). I'd raised the temperature in my molding space for a faster cure (25-30C), but took to deeper reading when a tiny area of silicone wouldn't cure.
Two days later, a tiny spot is still tacky. Not sure of the cause; it's warm enough, I mixed the silicone carefully in the right ratio and there shouldn't be any contamination (the silicone cured, even touching a bit of worbla at the base of my head form). Thankfully, the area is on the bottom rim edge that I planned to trim away.

Updates later.
Thank you for reading,
~Yel

Great news, persons. I popped the plaster jacket apart on Sunday without a single problem.
Silicone peeled off without a hitch. Again, very pleased with this rubber (Polycraft GP-3481-F RTV silicone); it reproduces hairline undercuts without tearing. Even that one tacky spot seems to have cured. The scent of the catalyst lingers, but the cure appears to be thorough.

C-qGJpIXUAA4qLf.jpg large.jpgC-qnv06XkAAe-Kk.jpg large.jpg

My mistake was not adding enough keys on the edges, so the left side is left flapping. I added a reinforcing plastic loop to push the rubber up against the jacket.
For the next piece, I will be switching to Plastipaste, or UK equivalent, for the jacket. I suspect the plaster may have shrunk a little when drying. The plaster jacket (~3 modroc bandage rolls and ~300g Herculite 2/scrim) wasn't heavy at all to rotocast.

Rotocasting turned out to be great fun and less stress than I anticipated! Measuring volume by eye didn’t seem very exact, but I’m delighted to report that the resin cured within 30-40 minutes without a hint of oiliness or residue. The visual feedback of gelling helped greatly to time the mix of the subsequent batches.
I ended up using perhaps 2/5ths of my 500g kit on the first casting. The resulting thickness seems sturdy enough, with just a touch of plastic flex, so I'll need to be careful not to crack the paint coats.

EDIT_maskpull.jpg

My plan for the coming week is to progress the sanding to achieve more of a glossy finish on the raised patterns. My plastic primer, gloss black and chrome spraypaints have arrived too!

Progress is being made!

Finding progress where I can. Yet to source black cotton for my robes; 150cm wide fabric is surprisingly elusive, especially at my modest budget!
I’m calling it version 1.0 pattern test sans embroidery, so any thinner poplin should do. My go-to online source is out as is the fabric market street in London.

Exercising some patience on the sanding; the rotocast resin is taking very well to the 120 grit.
Chewed through the eye, nose and mouth holes with effort using newly-acquired needle-files.
EDIT_maskcast03.jpg

I’m also testing strap-attachment materials and glue combinations; would like to avoid drilling holes, if possible.
Tested the following;
Superglue against plastic, Velcro, webbing, elastic.
Contact adhesive against plastic, Velcro, webbing.
Soudal Crystal FixAll against Velcro, webbing, elastic.

EDIT_gluetest00.jpg

Superglue is an absolute fail. Best performing match appears to be webbing with contact adhesive or FixAll.
Good idea to sort out the attachments ahead of the delicate work of painting (which I'm testing too on my spare mask, weather permitting).

Thanks for reading. :)

Good news, peeps!

Goldhawk road was overflowing with gorgeous black fabrics at very attractive prices last weekend.
I found mix-cotton? with good crinkle resistance, grand drape and weight to it; just perfect for Lucius.
It's just drying from a gentle pre-wash. Pattern is ready to go for later this week.

The weather turned favourable briefly so I've tested my spray paints on the spare mask.

EDIT_paintwip1.jpgEDIT_paintwip2.jpg

So far, so good. The black gloss coat seems to have failed to stick to areas where plastic primer didn't reach. It's practically impossible to distinguish white on white, and I may have rushed the priming with the single pass. BUT, this is why I test for worst case scenarios.
The chrome seems to have settled well enough. My live mask needs a touch of wet sanding, gluing on of the strap loops. Come Wednesday, we should be good on a slower and more methodical painting procedure. I've done a lot of careful fine grit work on it, so it should shine.

EDIT_beltwip1.jpgEDIT_beltwip2.jpg

Lucius has an etched belt for which I did proof of concept last night. Used a fine ballpoint dremel bit to tattoo on the swirls. Then filled the etchings with teal acrylic.
The belt is quite narrow, so I traced out half of the pattern from the movie reference.

Not long to go and not much left to finish! :'D

~Thanks for reading

Amazing job. I'm also considering a LM Death eater build, but I've never tried to make anything like that before. Hope to see more of the finished product.

Greetings, peeps.

I would like to share work in progress on my Lucius Malfoy death eater build.
I’ve set myself tougher challenges for 2017; to improve detail finish as well as to work with materials and techniques that I find intimidating. There’s a lot on the list, however… if you aim for the stars and miss, you may just land on the moon?

For my death eater, I am making the tunic, robes, the Malfoy wand and Lucius’ mask, all using references kindly sourced by your good selves on other threads. Overall, I’m aiming for a respectable movie likeness, whilst mindful of my available budget, time and skill level.

View attachment 720424

Tunic. I used this guide for measuring and bodice drafting, adapting the pattern for my needs. I did away with the darts, and transferred the curve to the back, to minimise excess fabric. http://www.emmakespatterns.com/draftabasicbodice/
I typically draft a basic pattern first, then redraft based on plain fabric tests. Knowing that the embroidery and faux leather would prevent the garment from stretching, I used a stiff, plain, zero stretch fabric to test my various iterations. I also took care to test the pattern whilst wearing a jumper, keeping in mind the thickness added by wadding.

View attachment 720425View attachment 720426

Fabrics used; faux leather from Goldhawk Road in London, comfy stretch cotton lining from Tia Knight online retailer and 4oz polyester wadding from amazon.

I created a PS blueprint of the snaking chest embroidery from high-resolution photographs of the Harry Potter costume exhibit. Sleeve patterns were adapted by skewing and adjusting the aforementioned. I then copied each printout onto Burda tracing paper for embroidery.
My grandmother’s soviet era sewing machine mostly stood up to the big ask. The three intricate pieces had to be hand cranked through some of the tighter swirls.
Judging from the movie references, the detail panels were attached to the sleeves and chest panel using a tight zigzag, perhaps. However, due to the limits of the equipment available (and due to the high friction of the faux leather), I carefully stitched those on by hand.

View attachment 720427View attachment 720428View attachment 720429View attachment 720431View attachment 720434View attachment 720433

Discounting the patterning and blueprinting phase, the sewing and assembly on the tunic took two solid weeks of finger-blistering work. I am very pleased with how it has turned out; there is a zipper at the back that I can open and close with only minor contortion efforts.
I’ve learned a lot so far and have made streamlining notes for any similar future garments.

Currently finishing the sculpt on the mask. Looking to try rotocasting it this month.
View attachment 720435

Hopefully, more updates soon. :)
Tah!
Would you be willing sharing the embroidery patterns?

Would you be willing sharing the embroidery patterns?
Of course!
I reconstructed the patterns from available material online and screen caps, so they aren't 100% production accurate.
I'll attach my work tracings. They're scaled to me, so you'll need to rescale them to your needs.

Hope they help, :}
~Y

YZ_Luci_buckle1.jpg

YZ_Luci_chestL11.jpg
YZ_Luci_chestR1.jpg

YZ_Luci_bracerV2.jpg

Kind thanks to all who commented on my posts.
Very much appreciated.
The costume has long since been completed and enjoyed.
Life ran onwards, so I didn't revisit the cloak. Alas.

Please check out photos of the finished piece!
~Y

Carlos1.jpg
MattEleven_Lucius.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back