Help with Bondo finish work.

Good evening. I am working on a Darth Revan pep mask, I have it fiberglassed on the inside and did 2 coats of just resin on the outside. I put on the Bondo and I am now smoothing it out. My question is on a few of the corners I have sanded into the paper (I guess it didn't soak in enough resin) do I need to apply a thin layer of Bondo to seal the paper, or will the primer seal it enough to wet sand before paint?

You can just barely see one of the spots I am talking about in the picture.
Thanks in advance
e6bd2a0795b24b9083510aac9a8cdf7f.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I usually use glazing/spot putty on the small spots. As long as the structure on the inside is fine then you are good. If it is weak, you are better to add some resin to the inside. That way it does not create a lump on the outside.

The inside is good. About 3 to 4 layers of fiberglass. So your saying I need to to hit it with a thin layer of glazing putty before I can move on to paint? Sorry, I just wanted to make sure am doing this correctly the 1st time.

You can't fill those spots with primer. If you use a 2 component automotive primer,maybe. I always apply a really thin layer of bondo and then some mild sanding.
Spot putty will always shrink a little.

I did some thin coats and lightly sanded it. That's where I was messing up, I was sanding too hard on the previous high spots.

Thanks again for the help.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back