In need of some ideas

Undead48178

I've decided to challenge myself for my first head to toe full costume. I'm creating a gunslinger spawn costume. My plan is to sculpt the upper body forms out of Eva foam and wear a black morph suit over that. Where I need ideas is, I don't want the costume to look like a painted morph suit. I was thinking I could cover it with latex and paint over that to give it the proper texture. Not sure how this would work out. So any ideas or input would be amazing.

Made some progress. Also have hat and belts started. One belt needs to be redone because I learned a new technique. More pictures if anyone is interested. 18053.jpeg

I did something similar for a short film a couple years back. I had to do an alien body for a little person. I think EVA is a little rigid for what you are trying to do. I would recommend using a high density open cell foam; i used firm upholstry foam. It gives you the shape you want but still compresses allowing for full range of motion. It you go this route shape your musculature slightly larger than you think it ought to be as the morph suit will compress it a bit when you put it on over the foam.

The face is looking great, btw. Hope this helps.

I did something similar for a short film a couple years back. I had to do an alien body for a little person. I think EVA is a little rigid for what you are trying to do. I would recommend using a high density open cell foam; i used firm upholstry foam. It gives you the shape you want but still compresses allowing for full range of motion. It you go this route shape your musculature slightly larger than you think it ought to be as the morph suit will compress it a bit when you put it on over the foam.

The face is looking great, btw. Hope this helps.

This was a great idea! However, I now have another question. How did you attach the foam to the morph suit? I have more forms that i need to show through the suit more then a generic muscle tone. I hope that you are willing to share, I know some people dont like to share so that they have a leg up haha.

This was a great idea! However, I now have another question. How did you attach the foam to the morph suit? I have more forms that i need to show through the suit more then a generic muscle tone. I hope that you are willing to share, I know some people dont like to share so that they have a leg up haha.

I'd recommend using Upholstery foam too. You'll be able to get a lot more movement and i imagine it would feel a lot more comfortable. I used a similar technique in my Hulk build. (http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=241149&highlight=cormac+hulk) It's a bigger form but a similar technique should work.

You'll need two layers of fabric. Firstly a base layer that fits to your body. on top of this you build your muscle (or whatever forms you need) from foam and attach it with spray adhesive. Hot glue works too but is more rigid. Then you cover the whole lot with another layer of stretchy fabric. I mostly attached this with the same spray glue. I used some hot glue for the deeper grooves. Then you can paint with latex and acrylic paints.

I don't know much about the character. does he wear the red jacket the entire time?
do the arms need to be muscular?
Sorry if i'm telling you things you already know. I don't claim to be an expert but i can go into more detail if you like.

I will be wearing the jacket the entire time so it's just the torso that I need to build up. Possibly the neck as well. I think I figured out a good way to do it. If it works I'll post it up. Thanks for the info.

Well what i would say in that case is to keep the back and arms free from latex. The suits get very sweaty quickly. And it means you can use something sleeveless for the inner layer. Best of luck with it.
Cormac

Well, i didnt attach the foam to the morph suit at all.

I did it will a body suit and cemented the foam to the body suit then the morph suit was simply worn over that. It allow the foam under the suit to shift slightly (as real muscles would) under the morph suit.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back