Lining foam cutouts with fabric?

gregday

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have a case with a foam insert that has custom cutout shapes for some props. I would like to cover the foam with a thin fabric while retaining the shape of the foam, such that the shape is still visible when the prop is removed, and it doesn't wrinkle and bunch up when the prop is present.

Anyone know how to permanently line a cutout shape like this?

I'm assuming this is a helmet, even though you are vague with your description of your project. Go to a fabric store and pick out either a mesh type material or perhaps a thin cotton T-shirt material. I think the best type of fabric is an athletic mesh. It has to be easily stretched with very little elasticity so that it doesn't deform your foam after you stretch it over. With harder foams this will not be as critical. Use an adhesive spray such as Super 77 by 3M on the hidden side. You will not be able to get a perfect stretch, so allow enough fabric to fold over the edges and make "hospital corners". Depending on the shape you may have to make several folds. Since the mesh material is covered in "holes", try and pick out a foam and mesh material in the same colour in order to provide the best look. If your project is a helmet, more than likely a dark fabric and foam will be needed.

TazMan2000

fd5mqoB.jpg

It's a pair of Batarangs. The foam is a custom cut for them to fit perfectly. I wanted to add a black cloth around the foam though. I think a stretch fabric and adhesive spray probably will work best. I just wanted to avoid wrinkles and bunching as much as possible.

It will be more difficult to hide the wrinkles on this kind of display. Even the mesh fabric will only stretch so much and you will be left with having to make the folds on the parts that are on the main face. There is another technique suggested by davidJurassic on another thread. He mentioned it was called "flocking". I looked it up on YT and it looked to be fairly easy to do. However, for your display you probably will need to create a new support enclosure for your Batarangs. Perhaps High density foam?

TazMan2000

Last edited by a moderator:
The foam is inside an aluminum case, so support should be fine. I think flocking will actually achieve the look I am trying to do with fabric. I will look into that, thank you.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back