Dyeing Doctor Who Series 5 Houndstooth Jeans

RagleGumm

Hello all,

I've recently acquired these awesome grey and black houndstooth jeans which really put me in mind of the jeans worn by the eleventh Doctor in series 5 of Doctor Who. I don't necessarily want to use these for cosplay, but may just wear them as everyday jeans with a geeky twist - but it'd be great to make them look a bit more SA.

IMG_20170403_103637_653.jpgIMG_20170403_103637_647.jpg

Unfortunately, the grey is too light so that the jeans read as mid to light grey at a distance as opposed to nearly black as the screen worn jeans do.

Is there a way I could over-dye these so that the grey is much darker and if so how would I best go about doing so? I'd rather not use my washing machine to dye these as my wife wouldn't be best pleased, so any soaking dye methods would be appreciated! Obviously, I want to still be able to see the black houndstooth through the grey, so I don't just want to dye them flat black.

The jeans are 99% cotton and 1% elastic.

Any help you folks could offer would be amazing!

RG

As they're basically pure cotton they'll dye easily. The best bet is something like grey Dylon hand dye, it'll only really overdye the lighter colour so should look pretty authentic. You can dye it in a metal or plastic pot so no need for a washing machine, the packet's instructions are pretty self explanatory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Morthwyl,

Many thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it! I think I'll give this a go - I'll go to the shops tomorrow and pick up some dye. I'll post some pics when I have some results to share!

Thanks again.

RG

Success! I used Dylon Pewter Grey hand dye and managed to darken the jeans by several shades without losing any of the pattern.

They're still maybe a shade or two too light but for now I'm really thrilled with the result. Seeing as the jeans only cost me £10 on eBay, then an extra £3.50 for the dye, I'm pretty dang thrilled with the result. I had to turn the trousers legs up inside and then hem them with hemming tape before turning them up as Smith wears them in order to have the pattern on the turn ups too - the inside of the jeans are just plain grey and looked much lighter in comparison.

The jeans are pictured here with my braces and close enough Mackenzie tweed. The next step is to upgrade my shirt - I'm currently in talks with a couple of seamstresses about making me one up from Spoonflower fabric.

IMAG0633.jpgC80jH8mXcAAdEZe.jpg

Thanks!

RG

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back