'Major's Thermoptic Pistol' (2017) Ghost in the Shell (COMPLETE! pg 4) **PIC HEAVY**

RebelCityProps

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm currently working on 'Major's Thermoptic Pistol' from the new live action version of Ghost in the Shell. I will be building the gun based on a collection of gathered reference and building the "shell" of the gun in Autodesk 3DS Max ready for 3D Printing on an Ultimaker 2+. after all of this it will be sanded and detailed ready for molding and casting in clear resin and finally painted and weathered. I want to try and preserve as much of the original detail as possible and also add elements like a removable clip with cold cast brass resin bullets within the clip.

For those interested, I'm doing a RUN! Click HERE to head on over to the Run Thread

Final images of finished prop can be found on page 4

O3ywWHc.jpg
Original Reference Image of the screen used Prop

Last edited:
Re: 'Major's Thermoptic Pistol' (2017) Ghost in the Shell

Okay, the first step was to obviously create a set of plans from which I could model the gun in 3DSMax. i used the image shown above from the main details of the side of the gun and i used a 1:1 scale image of a Glock 19 from which to mack sure the gun itself would be correct to scale. There are elements of the gun that certainly differ in size from the Glock 19 but thankfully the trigger well are both the same size so I used this to make sure the rest of the gun would work and not be too large or too small.

01.jpg
Once this was done I imported these plans into my 3D software and began work on the model. I made sure from the beginning to set my units to the correct scale so that every measurement I would enter for height/width etc for things such as the clip would translate to the model and be the correct size.

02.jpg
During this time i procured a Glock 17 replica and some digital calipers, I cant tell you how invaluable this turned out being, just having something physical i could use for measurement reference really helped with this project.

03.jpg

Last edited:

After a good deal of time (And pulling my hair out trying to find reference for the exit chamber side of the gun) I finally have a 3d model ready for printing!

03a.jpg
With this done I went through a process that I always do before printing a model, doing some final renders. This is good for 2 main reasons, 1) it's pretty, 2) Using natural light-box setups it helps highlight to me if there any dents or out of place pixel I might have missed and the show cast helps show me if there any parts of a model that may be too shallow that i would not have noticed until it was printed, this would waste time and materials so its a hand thing to do before sending your model to a slicer.

04.jpg
Texture-less render

05.jpg
Final Render

Last edited:

So, with the model done it was time to slice up the gun ready for 3D printing. Within 3DSMax I broke the gun down into 4 files. 2 for each side main grip and trigger sections, the top rail and then all other parts like clip/bullets/trigger etc were put into the last file. I imported these into Cura and used standard settings for Ultimaker Silver/Metallic PLA with a 15% infill setting and 1mm wall/top/bottom thickness.

06.jpg

Last edited:

Here's some beauty shots of the gun being printed out on the Ultimaker 2+. again the settings are standard settings (within Cura) for Ultimaker Silver/Metallic PLA with a 15% infill setting and 1mm wall/top/bottom thickness.

07.jpg08.jpg

Last edited:
Re: 'Major's Thermoptic Pistol' (2017) Ghost in the Shell (W.I.P.)

Thank you @Sundowner, @dmpsk8, @Elven Doorstop, @KojiroVance and @Razorwing. Price is estimated at around $200-250, I'll have a better idea once I've the first prototype cast ��

Last edited:

Nice, I have one printed too, planning on recasting it in clear resin, never done that before. Probably going to be a mess.

If mine doesn't turn out maybe I shall buy one off of you :)

Looks very nice. I'm in the market for a good replica of the Major's pistol.

So, all the parts are printed off, I got a bit excited and started sanding before I took a shot of all of the individual pieces that will go into making the framework of the gun.

09.jpg
Here's a shot of the main complainants temporarily hot glued together so you can get an idea of the whole thing assembled. It's certainly rough but a lot of finishing work is about to go into these to make it as clean and crisp as you'd expect from a futuristic firearm.

10.jpg
And just so you can get an idea of scale compared to 1:1 sized pistol, hers another picture. The gun on top is a Glock 17 replica (one of the guns this prop was based on)

11.jpg

Last edited:

Since I had the gun temporarily tacked together I thought I'd do a quick video just showing how the pistol looks while being held. It's actually a very conformable prop to hold, it sits very well in the hand, i cant wait to see this thing cast in clear resin. Right, not to take this thing apart again and get back to the sanding!

Last edited by a moderator:

Just a quick update, I'm currently in the loop of laying primer/filler-primer, filler putty, sanding and repeat to get all blemishes corrected and any dips filled in. Making your own custom sanding sticks really comes in handy at this stage for those difficult/tight areas.

12.jpg
13.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back