'Major's Thermoptic Pistol' (2017) Ghost in the Shell (COMPLETE! pg 4) **PIC HEAVY**

Re: 'Major's Thermoptic Pistol' (2017) Ghost in the Shell (W.I.P.) **PIC HEAVY**

First pulls came out well, I've a sneaking feeling i may have to remake the molds out of a better silicone but that's easy enough to fix, plus I didn't use a pressure chamber since mine still hasn't arrived but I wasn't about to wait to try this mold out. I simply relied on the vacuum chamber this time to remove the bubbles from the resin, i degassed parts A & B separately before then mixing them together and doing it quickly one last time, this really kept any bubbling to a minimum.

48.jpg
49.jpg

Last edited:
Re: 'Major's Thermoptic Pistol' (2017) Ghost in the Shell (W.I.P.) **PIC HEAVY**

okay, time to stop and back up. In my excitement i was working too quickly, not allowing the paint to fully cure between coats and ended up with paint breaks from drying inconstantly. So, I've sanded everything back down to get it smooth and take another stab at this by taking my time and not rushing. Slowly Jay!!!

50.jpg

Last edited:

Right, once more with feeling! Slowly Jay!

51.jpg

Last edited:

After hearing about this on the RPF i thought i would give it a go and see just how good this stuff is. This is 'Liquid Chrome' by Molotow, its an ink used for their paint pens but as it turns out that when you feed it through an airbrush you get an actually really good chrome finish. It sets somewhat similar to an acrylic paint with a plastic like coating, so for small accent pieces like this gun has its a perfect excuse to test it out.

53.jpg
Using a standard process of laying down a base primer, i used a matte black finish rather than a glossy black. Since this is ink based I've an idea that a gloss undercoat will make it harder for it to stick and set, so the matte gives it something to bite into, plus the chrome is slightly thicker and as it seems self leveling so you get a good gloss finish regardless. Even though this is an experiment I'm highly impressed, the level of chrome finish is beautiful ( the photos really don't do it justice.) I've read you should leave it for 24 hours at least to let it set properly, at least enough to be handled, so these will be the last parts added to the gun once the painting is complete.

View attachment 54.jpg

Last edited:

Looking good! I have been following that thread too.
Just remember that it takes ~3 weeks to full cure and a clear coat apparently kills the chrome finish

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Oh, very nice, that's a lot of stuff done!
looking forward to see the final pictures but it looks very promising. congrats :thumbsup

So, here it is, finished and complete, this thing has been a massive learning experience but a worthy challenge. I love to make things that help my push myself out of my comfort zone and gain new experience and skills. So proud of how this came out, massive thank you to my wonderful fiancee for taking the photos for my with her brand new lens ^_^

For those who are looking into getting one from me when I do a run, I will be sticking up an interest thread very soon (the next day or two) so stay posted here for more info.

Also, a huge thank you to those who have already expressed their interest, i cant wait to make these beautiful things for you. Anyway, here are the photos, enjoy.

55.jpg
56.jpg
57.jpg
58.jpg
60.jpg
61.jpg
62.jpg
63.jpg

Last edited:
Re: 'Major's Thermoptic Pistol' (2017) Ghost in the Shell (COMPLETE! pg 4) **PIC HEAV

Nice work Jay!
will you be posting pictures with a more neutral background? It's a bit hard to really see how the materials are behaving without all those reflections and refractions.
I'm glad you finished that project and learned a lot from it!
cheers:)

Re: 'Major's Thermoptic Pistol' (2017) Ghost in the Shell (COMPLETE! pg 4) **PIC HEAV

Great Job! What type of Glock is the base gun in real life?

There are some features reminiscent to the Glock 19 but the general consensus seems to be that its a Glock 17.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice work Jay!
will you be posting pictures with a more neutral background? It's a bit hard to really see how the materials are behaving without all those reflections and refractions.
I'm glad you finished that project and learned a lot from it!
cheers:)

I haven't yet but probably will in the next few days.

Outstanding! Clear resin is always challenging, you seem to have mastered it. :D

M

WANT! Will you also be selling finished versions (please say yes!)?

I will be indeed, i'm just waiting for a new piece of equipment to arrive that will make my life easier, should hopefully only be a week, give me time to get it and test then i'll stick up the post for officially starting orders for a run.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back