'Major's Thermoptic Pistol' (2017) Ghost in the Shell (COMPLETE! pg 4) **PIC HEAVY**

Re: 'Major's Thermoptic Pistol' (2017) Ghost in the Shell (W.I.P.)

man, I've been looking for one! Can't wait to see the finished product!

Haha, I can't wait either to be honest. I've been stuck with a handy injury for 2 weeks so could only really get into this now, should hopefully be at a point where I can start building the mold for this by the end of the week, early next.

Looking great so far! Keep up the good work.

Also, I got some images from the rooftop scene..see if they can help you ID some more details on the gun.

I posted them here.
http://imgur.com/a/Wij4f

edit: I also noticed that the Gun on display is the stunt hero. The Real hero you can do the pull back on the slide. Also on the Real hero, there are 2 black markings or something on the back. On the Stunt hero there are none. It's all in the pictures. :)

Last edited:

Looks bloody fantastic mate, any chance of getting the 3d model for others that might want to print it?

edit: I also noticed that the Gun on display is the stunt hero. The Real hero you can do the pull back on the slide. Also on the Real hero, there are 2 black markings or something on the back. On the Stunt hero there are none. It's all in the pictures. :)

Doubtful. The clear one might not be "The" hero prop but, it don't think it's a stunt prop either. The one you see with a functioning slide is clearly flat black in color and painted with white accents. There is a cover pinned to the rear of the slide and the barrel is visibly black as well. It's probably a modified airsoft gun to stand in for when they need it to "work". I'd be surprised if any of the functioning guns were actually transparent.

Doubtful. The clear one might not be "The" hero prop but, it don't think it's a stunt prop either. The one you see with a functioning slide is clearly flat black in color and painted with white accents. There is a cover pinned to the rear of the slide and the barrel is visibly black as well. It's probably a modified airsoft gun to stand in for when they need it to "work". I'd be surprised if any of the functioning guns were actually transparent.

So which one would you say is the hero version that we want then? As it stands right now, there's only 3 variations. The closeup shot (in holster/one on display I believe it's the same one), one with a functioning slide, and one that actually fires blanks. Or maybe that one is the same as the functioning slide?

Also, just a theory, but all of them are actually transparent. It's because of the lighting the shot used + colour correction that we see it's dark black. If we were going with the flat black, why make the display prop one transparent? We never actually see the transparency in the movie from the gun. It was always dark/black.

These pictures have certainly come in handy, I've already spotted a slight alteration I need to make. But as for the black spots on the side, my guess they are hex nuts of some description, but until I can find better pictures or close ups of that version of the gun I think I will stick with the features shown in the gun at the top of the board, mostly because at this point this is the clearest version of the gun available so it's best at this point to work from that.

But, that also means that when new pictures come out I will do an alternate version to cover both bases.

These pictures have certainly come in handy, I've already spotted a slight alteration I need to make. But as for the black spots on the side, my guess they are hex nuts of some description, but until I can find better pictures or close ups of that version of the gun I think I will stick with the features shown in the gun at the top of the board, mostly because at this point this is the clearest version of the gun available so it's best at this point to work from that.

But, that also means that when new pictures come out I will do an alternate version to cover both bases.

Too bad that I don't think we will get a better shot of the gun till it comes out on Bluray. Hope we get a 4K res of GITS stat! lol.

Too bad that I don't think we will get a better shot of the gun till it comes out on Bluray. Hope we get a 4K res of GITS stat! lol.

Indeed! but at least in the mean time there's some great pictures to work from. That image showing the back side of the gun in the cabinet is one I've not seen before so that was very helpful.

Sanding.... something something Sanding!!! *crys* it's all good, I'm actually having a lot of fun with this. I've the internal area for the clip all smooth so was finally able to join the 2 halves together and begin the process of gap filling and... you guessed it, more sanding!!!!

14.jpg

Last edited:

So which one would you say is the hero version that we want then? As it stands right now, there's only 3 variations. The closeup shot (in holster/one on display I believe it's the same one), one with a functioning slide, and one that actually fires blanks. Or maybe that one is the same as the functioning slide?

The clear one, IMO, is the hero prop. The amount of detail put into it is far beyond what would be in a stunt prop. It's obviously intended to pass scrutiny. It appears to have a real translucent glock magazine in it, and it appears to have springs and other internal parts that it would have if it were functional. Just way too much attention to detail for a throw away piece.

I think they have several additional pistols for stunts, or for when it needs to be manipulated, or fired. I don't think the rooftop gun and the blank firing version would be the same. From a safety aspect, I don't think they like to bring out real guns until they need to be fired in a scene.

Also, just a theory, but all of them are actually transparent. It's because of the lighting the shot used + colour correction that we see it's dark black. If we were going with the flat black, why make the display prop one transparent? We never actually see the transparency in the movie from the gun. It was always dark/black.

Well, it's just a matter of simplicity. It's far easier to make a non-functional gun transparent than it is a to make a real one. You have your idealized hero prop, then you have a dolled up an airsoft glock as a stand in when you need an action shot that doesn't involve shooting. Most of the film seems dark so, it would probably go unnoticed in most scenes. Heck, it's supposed to change color to blend in so, they could just paint it to match the scene really. If they need it to shoot, they just apply the same mods to a blank firing gun. If they need either to actually be transparent while functioning, they just touch it up with some CG.

The clear one, IMO, is the hero prop. The amount of detail put into it is far beyond what would be in a stunt prop. It's obviously intended to pass scrutiny. It appears to have a real translucent glock magazine in it, and it appears to have springs and other internal parts that it would have if it were functional. Just way too much attention to detail for a throw away piece.

I think they have several additional pistols for stunts, or for when it needs to be manipulated, or fired. I don't think the rooftop gun and the blank firing version would be the same. From a safety aspect, I don't think they like to bring out real guns until they need to be fired in a scene.

Well, it's just a matter of simplicity. It's far easier to make a non-functional gun transparent than it is a to make a real one. You have your idealized hero prop, then you have a dolled up an airsoft glock as a stand in when you need an action shot that doesn't involve shooting. Most of the film seems dark so, it would probably go unnoticed in most scenes. Heck, it's supposed to change color to blend in so, they could just paint it to match the scene really. If they need it to shoot, they just apply the same mods to a blank firing gun. If they need either to actually be transparent while functioning, they just touch it up with some CG.

Yeah I agree when you put it that way. I would think they made multiples of the clear versions into the firing one and the one with the movable slide. It makes sense for the stunt for just a black. However, the closeups that we only see is only painted black. Which is where I am getting at. There's absolutely no see through ones at all except for this one.

XMzS3oQ.png

Which is the only one we see the bullets in. So THIS one would be the one we are looking for?

Clearly this one is painted flat black, or else light should be showing through. Also, this one is the one with the moving slide.

Vm876Sp.png

So thats a no to the 3d model then?

Sorry, this got lost in the shuffle, but no, I won't be putting out the 3D model for this, but i will be releasing the plans for those who wish to make their own in whichever software they are proficient at.

Last edited:

Spent today getting the clip well all smooth so I'm able to slide the clip in and out with no sticking or jamming. Works perfectly, the clip tension fits in fantastically, and easily removed with no difficulty. I'm going to fir a small magnet to the inner facing area of the clip bases so when they do slot in they will stick into place without any risk of them falling out while being handled.

15.jpg

Last edited:

Spent today getting the clip well all smooth so I'm able to slide the clip in and out with no sticking or jamming. Works perfectly, the clip tension fits in fantastically, and easily removed with no difficulty. I'm going to fir a small magnet to the inner facing area of the clip bases so when they do slot in they will stick into place without any risk of them falling out while being handled.

View attachment 720969

Are you gonna do a clip release + moving slide as well? Just curious. lol

Are you gonna do a clip release + moving slide as well? Just curious. lol

Not on this one no. XD later down the road I can imagine I will revisit this and add those, but for now I'm going to make this purely a static piece, the clip will be removable at least, but no button release.

Which is the only one we see the bullets in. So THIS one would be the one we are looking for?

Yes.

I'd like to get better pics to make sure, because I have a sneaking suspicion that that one is CG but, it's still the representation we're going for.

Anything else, IMO, is a stunt or action piece. IE: an airsoft, or live fire pistol, painted to match the hero.

Re: 'Major's Thermoptic Pistol' (2017) Ghost in the Shell (W.I.P.) **PIC HEAVY**

So after spending yesterday sorting out the clip well on the gun, there was something bugging me about it. As it turns out after looking again at the reference images, the base of the clip is too long in the back area... I've no idea how i missed this while modeling it but there we are. So i marked out the approximate correct position and decided to get to work.

16.jpg
With this marked out i used my digital calipers to measure how muse material needed to be removed, which in this instance was 5.1mm.

17.jpg
In the end, i figured it would be much faster to actually reprint the base part then try to do it by hand. So I booted up 3DS Max, created a box with the width of 5.1mm as a guide, selected the points on the base section and moved them to their correct position. easy as that!

18.jpg
Once this was done, I exported the file as an STL and loaded this new file in Cura and set it up for 3D printing. I used the standard setting for Silver PLA with a 20% infill and a 6mm base raft. Print time was around 2 hours so I could easily work on other parts of the gun while this was printing.

19.jpg
With this set up, I saved the g.code to an SD card and fired it over to the Ultimaker 2+. It was printed with a 0.40 nozzel 60 oC build plate temp.

20.jpg
While this was printed i corrected the whole size to accommodate the new clip base... I'm still kicking myself i missed this...

21.jpg
Once the print was finished, i did the usual sanding and cleaning, replaced the clip base with the new printed part and the slid the clip in place to test it out, and what do you know, it fit perfectly first time. I love 3D printers. so, that's the base corrected, time to get back to the main body!

22.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back