Another hardware store build: Millennium Falcon (WIP)

Considering what you are building this from and how you are making it up as you go along, this is looking like a pretty dam good hunk of junk, quite literally!
Your ingenuity, creativity and eye for detail are right up there.
Good luck in the competition with your colleague, I think he may have his work cut out for him. But that would be cheating if he's also building it from scratch!

Cable ties are the best! Textured on one side, variety of sizes, consistently manufactured, easy to glue, and one end has a weird looking square thing that could be used as anything! (And as an added bonus, there are about a squillion parts of the Falcon that resemble something you can make from cable ties, one way or another.)

Lets hear it for cable ties! :D

Aaaaand here we go:

IMG_9230.JPG

It's a dish! It's a dish made from the bottom of a plastic champagne glass (much like the dish on the Enterprise) and some of my favourite cable ties. Again, they seem to replicate the appropriate parts within a reasonable tolerance of accuracy. (One can only expect so much accuracy when one's satellite dish is a wine glass.)

IMG_9231.JPG

Support structure for the wine glass -- legs and arms cut from acrylic, a felt tip pen lid (red) and an antique cable clamp.

IMG_9246.JPG

A bit of a beauty shot in the sun. It shows up all the flaw..uh..features!

I still haven't built up the greeblie detail on top of the docking corridor and the gun turret. I'll do all of those bits and pieces once I no longer need to turn the ship upside down!

IMG_9247.JPG

Rear view of same.

IMG_9248.JPG

Added window frames to the cockpit.

IMG_9251.JPG

Now with cockpit window frames, airlocks and a few unpainted greeblies here and there.

I've also further assaulted the ship with the soldering iron, as I wasn't happy with the level of "damage" I'd inflicted on it the first time around. Now the battle scars are nice and pronounced, hence the sanded areas.

IMG_9252.JPG

Airlock. Violently inaccurate, but fun nonetheless.

IMG_9264.JPG

And most importantly, my styrene sheet has arrived, so I've begun paneling the underside. This is not going to be as tidy as the top of the ship, mostly because the leg construction and "dome" are not very consistent. I'm not planning to fully detail the bottom -- just hull panels and a few major greeblies. There will be some little blocks to represent landing gear.

This thing is HEAVY and horribly awkward, so I don't anticipate it'll be flipped over very often once it's finished!

Thanks for looking. Comments and criticism always appreciated.

Your work is fantastic. It strikes me as what the prototypes would look like before final shapes and details are nailed down. A true piece of art.

ALLLLLLLrighty.

Much has happened.

Starting with...

IMG_9268.JPG

Plating on the bottom. I'm really really really starting to hate panels.

So the bottom is just "cursory" -- I don't intend it to be detailed, it's just there so it has a bottom. I had originally planned to not even build the bottom of the ship at all, it would just be blank with the only the very edge built. But I was convinced otherwise. So, here we have some slightly oversized hull plates because I just want this thing DONE.

Also brightly coloured binder clips for engine flaps.

IMG_9276.JPG

Some semi-accurate detail on the top of the docking corridor. The green and white bits are reasonably somewhat kind of sort of what they're supposed to be. The brass thing is actually an earring -- found two of them (earrings often come in pairs, who knew?) and thought they'd make some nice greebs. The round gizmo is a large washer with some cable ties (of course) behind.

IMG_9287.JPG

That, my friends, is a quad laser cannon. It's a quad laser cannon made from junk, but regardless, it's a quad laser cannon. Styrene, lollipop sticks, tile spacing wedges, a USB flash drive lid, a gear and some plastic goodies from an old SLR camera, washers and of course.......some zip tie bits and bobs.

IMG_9288.JPG

General overview of the ship. I've added some warts (green) made from cable tie bits, and the two red greebs on the back are the safety mechanisms from Rustoleum trigger-style spray paint cans.

IMG_9293.JPGIMG_9295.JPG

Underside "detail", or lack thereof. The lower jaw box is...smoke and mirrors. As I've said before, I have NO intention of turning this thing upside down, so no one is ever going to scrutinise the fact that the lower jaw box is made from a CF card case, two clothes pegs, a screen door catch, the side wall of a cable modem casing and some other bits of plastic junk. It's our little secret. ;)

The "landing gear" are little blocks of wood covered with styrene. Spared no expense.

IMG_9301.JPGIMG_9299.JPGIMG_9296.JPG

And now...............paint.

The above three photos are in reverse order because I'm tremendously lazy and can't be bothered correcting it.

The plan, such as it is, is to paint the maintenance hatches and the entire equatorial greebly section matte black. The main reason I'm doing it this way is that this thing is made from so many different materials that I can't be super confident that the glue on the greebs will hold together once I try to cram black paint and black wash and dry brushing and weathering powder and who-knows-what else in there. So...starting with black makes that a WHOLE lot easier.

(Besides, it looks awfully sexy with the equatorial 'trench' painted black. Who knew?)

IMG_9303.JPG

Base colour -- Rustoleum "Heirloom White".

IMG_9307.JPGIMG_9306.JPG

Reverse order again. On the right, masking for the red parts of the ship.

On the left, masking for the red parts of the ship, plus total mummification in paper.

I got lazier as the colours went on and on, but I really wanted to make sure there was no possibility of the RED paint overspraying. Grey overspray I can pass off as "weathering". Red overspray....not so much.

IMG_9309.JPG

We have red! The colour is "Hot Lips", with a random overspraying of metallic red as well, just for...variation. And because shiny is awesome.

IMG_9311.JPG

Light grey panels. Can't remember the name of the colour, but it's the same colour as the lighter grey on the Enterprise.

IMG_9312.JPG

Medium and medium-dark grey panels. First colour is "Windspray", which is actually a Colorbond fencing colour. I was delighted to find the can at the back of my spray paint shelf, as I didn't think I actually had four shades of grey to achieve the "correct" effect on the panels. Second colour is "Ito". Aren't you glad I'm telling you all of this?

IMG_9314.JPGIMG_9320.JPGIMG_9319.JPGIMG_9317.JPGIMG_9316.JPG

Dark grey. Colour is called "Namadji", and verges on brown. I'm really happy that the "Windspray" is kind of a cool grey and "Namadji" is a warm grey. Gives it some variation and interest.

I've taken the masking off the maintenance wells, so this is about as "pristine" as the Falcon will ever be.

Because it's time to get dirty.

IMG_9321.JPGIMG_9322.JPG

First, the exhaust vents need to be BLAAAACK. Masking took ages, but was worth it -- as masking often is.

IMG_9324.JPG

And there's our initial black wash. Now, it won't surprise you to know that I'm doing all of this 'wrong', and I'm not using expensive oils for my washes. All of the weathering is going to be done using acrylic paints (the kind that comes in tubes for a couple of bucks, school paint), some sidewalk chalk and the most outrageously expensive part of the whole weathering process will be a pack of artist's pastels. So...this should be interesting.

The first point of failure (sort of) has been the initial black wash. I forgot to include soap in the recipe, so there were some spectacular issues with surface tension and my wash retracting away from some of the greebs/edges/features. Oh well. We live and learn.

IMG_9331.JPG

Second pass at a black wash, and some weathering here and there. I accidentally discovered a remarkably easy way of applying the streaks of rust/water/grease that trickle down the hull panels. I struggled trying to make them work with a brush, and with a rag, and with my finger, and with a bit of rag on the end of a skewer, and none of these methods seemed to work. What DOES work, though, is to use the edge of a piece of EVA foam. It's soft but relatively rigid, doesn't damage the surface, and because the pieces have straight edges, it makes creating straight streaks quite simple. Obviously this trick would be dependent on scale. I wouldn't use EVA foam to apply weathering to a 1:1000 model kit.

(EDIT: I just re-read this and realised I didn't actually explain a thing, here. The rust/water/grease run-off marks are soft artist's pastel. You scrape off some, (lets say) black and orange pastel with a blade, wet it a bit, let it dry, then rub the EVA foam edge on the dried pastel mix, then rub that on the ship. I'm very tired and am clearly failing at communication right now.)

More to come. Stand by.

Last edited:
IMG_9334.JPGIMG_9338.JPGIMG_9332.JPG

Panel detail. Weathered inside with artist's pastel and acrylic paint and water and whatever other stuff I could find to grunge it up in there.

IMG_9340.JPGIMG_9341.JPG

Rear detail. I still need to drag the airbrush out and get the 'exhaust stains' going behind the vents, but that's a project for another day!

I'm quite happy that most of the recognisable bits and pieces aren't so recognisable with a unifying paint job and smatterings of grot.

IMG_9343.JPG

The cockpit has turned out quite adequate. I need to get inside and paint the interior of the toilet vent..uh..cockpit..with some black paint to hide the fact that there's no glass. I'll get around to that at some point. :)

IMG_9345.JPG

And that's where this particular YT-1300 sits as of right now. There's still some distance to go. Although from reading pretty much every Millennium Falcon thread on here, I'm now painfully, painfully aware that no Falcon is everfinished.

Thanks for looking. More soon.

Thoughts, comments, criticism, psychiatric help all appreciated.

Words don't do this thing justice. Luckily, YOURS do. :) I'm so looking forward to your future work not just because of the amazing modeling, but the fun narrative that you write alongside it. What a great thread!

ok........time for the colleague to weigh in ;-)

This was never gonna be an excerise in virtual accuracy. In fact there are things I've found (bit and pieces) that are TOOOO good not to use, but not even close to being exact, and habing said that, I'm wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy slower than Datazoid, but here's what I've got so far....
18470814_1587613477918552_161941858_n.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I too went the circuit board and assorted crap for the vents etc, but also kit bashed a LOT of old frames from models as well18136144_1571421826204384_1909071699_n.jpg..18253940_1580675485279018_215422562_n.jpg

Mr. Bish!

I still can't picture what that blue stuff on top of the docking corridor is, but whatever it is, I LIKE IT. It's got an awesome texture.

I can see that you're going to end up with a Clone Wars/Rebels looking ship, and I like that, too.

--

Meanwhile, in Docking Bay 94 (or a garage in suburbia):

IMG_9350.JPG

That's an engine, believe it or not. It's a row of salvaged USB thumbdrive lids in clear and blue, with a bit of styrene structure behind it to give it a vague "grid", two black USB thumbdrive lids on the ends. Trust me, this is going to work. (I've said that before.)

IMG_9353.JPG

Okay. Lined the inside of a very awkward and narrow space with aluminium foil tape for reflectivity. The LED Christmas lights are shoved through holes made in a strip of EVA foam, which is cut a little too big, so it squishes in quite tightly and holds position inside. The EVA foam has also been crudely covered with aluminium tape, because reflected light is awesome.

Also, my Christmas lights are warm white. I've used all of my cool white ones, and evidently all of my blue ones as well. I had a choice of red (not ideal), purple (honestly tempting, but probably a bit too far over the "no, that's just WRONG" line) or colour changing (perfect if I want to emulate 'going to plaid').

So, uh, warm white it is. Mostly because I'm tremendously lazy. And it's not Christmas, so I'm hard pressed to re-stock my LED Christmas lights tub. (What, you don't have a tub of LED Christmas lights?)

It needs to be more blue, and less warm white.

SO.

I spend 45 minutes hunting through the garage trying to find something blue and transparent.

Plan A: I should have some cellophane in the 'cellophane' box -- nope, no blue. Yellow, red and green, but no blue. Nuts.

Plan B: I have some translucent glass frosting paint. Again, yellow......red.........and green. Fantastic if I want to make a traffic light, craptacular if I want to make an engine for a spaceship.

Plan C: Spend a further 45 minutes just staring at things, trying to make something blue and transparent materialise out of thin air.

Plan D: Notice the lid from a can of Bondo sittting on the bench in front of you --

IMG_9355.JPG

-- (seriously, go back over the photos in this thread, it's been there the whole time.)

Hack it to bits. Make a thing. Stuff it in the engine. Attach USB lid strip.

TADA.

IMG_9358.JPG

Wookiees and droids, we have an engine!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back