Mask Making Question From a Newbie

JonCrescent

Hey everyone, I was hoping for a little bit of help.

I'm working on a mask for a project. I bought a plastic mask which I intend to alter. It has a few holes around the eyes and mouth that I'd like to seal, but I'm not sure what material to use. I was thinking about using the Green Stuff they sell at Games Workshop, but I'd need quite a bit of it and it would be rather expensive to take that route.
I was hoping there was a newbie friendly material someone could recommend that I could use to layer on and cover up these holes.

Thanks for your time ^_^

Your best bet for a long term hold is bondo. It's not hard to mix, not hard to use, but hard to sand. I use bondo to fill holes in wood, metal, fiberglass, and Plastics. It's very versatile and work great. You can pick it up at body shops, Lowe's, home Depot's or other hardware stores for about $12 a quart. Remember a little goes a long way;)

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

Holes around the eyes and mouth you want to seal... Is it one of those cheap Jason masks? If it is, you'd be much better off picking up a good blank from JDF Studios.. but anyways, if it isn't a Jason hock Bondo would work. You could also use plumbers epoxy but it is more difficult to sand but it can be smoothed with water before it cures.

Without seeing the mask I can only guess, but I'd assume the main issue you'd probably run into if it is a cheaper plastic are adhesion problems. You'd want to really scuff up the hole and the inside of the mask, giving yourself about a quarter to a half inch of material (Bondo, plumbers epoxy, etc) on the inside. The next potential issue is if the plastic is too thin, the Bondo or epoxy could crack right out if the mask is flexed.

Your best bet for a long term hold is bondo. It's not hard to mix, not hard to use, but hard to sand. I use bondo to fill holes in wood, metal, fiberglass, and Plastics. It's very versatile and work great. You can pick it up at body shops, Lowe's, home Depot's or other hardware stores for about $12 a quart. Remember a little goes a long way;)

If your going to use bondo, and are trying to fill a hole the only way to make it stick, that i found is to place some window screen, or mesh in the hole. I would just superglue the screen material to the inside of the mask, behind the hole and bondo over that. Its the same basic principle as rebar in concrete; makes it stronger. It also allows the bondo to adhere to something while drying. You can even take it a step further and put some blue 3m tape on the back of the screen material. Am i making sense. Sometimes its hard to explain a process like this. using this process will also allow you to get a seamless look

http://3mauto.com/bondo-self-adhesive-patch-932.html

If your going to use bondo, and are trying to fill a hole the only way to make it stick, that i found is to place some window screen, or mesh in the hole. I would just superglue the screen material to the inside of the mask, behind the hole and bondo over that. Its the same basic principle as rebar in concrete; makes it stronger. It also allows the bondo to adhere to something while drying. You can even take it a step further and put some blue 3m tape on the back of the screen material. Am i making sense. Sometimes its hard to explain a process like this. using this process will also allow you to get a seamless look

http://3mauto.com/bondo-self-adhesive-patch-932.html
Screen and blue painter's tape. That way once the bondo is dry, you can remove the painters tape and have a cool looking section of bondo and screen pattern on the inside[emoji38]

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back