New idea for chroming.

I'm building a LifeSize endo at the moment so please tell me more about this Alumaluster. How durable is it?

That's awesome Ben! Scratch building or a kit? I can't even find a good Endoskull kit anywhere. Seems like even the Thai recasts are off the market.

From what I understand, Alumaluster has a resin base added to promote durability. You really have to go at it pretty vigorously to rub any off. It is a chrome paint, so unsealed it will eventually come off, it's not some miracle paint, but it does last through a lot of abuse.

For sealing? You can go waterbased with Future or Aquagloss.. A trick I've found that helps keep dulling to a minimum with water based clears is adding the tiniest drop of violet pigment to the clear. It should tint the liquid just enough for the eye to perceive the shift, but go on clear. This Kylo Ren helmet I painted had the Alumaluster lightly sealed using Aquagloss and it retained a very nice shine. (The upper bands, the cheeks are supposed to be more dull and scorched.)
IMG_1332.JPG

If you're set up to run catalyzed paints, Sam sells a 2K specifically for sealing his chrome. I haven't tried this, so I don't know how well it works but it is an option.. You can also use a 4:1 speed clear -- a 2:1 is too solvent heavy and can eat the chrome. Thin the 4:1 clear with two parts IPA, spray, and then force cure the clear.

Silver nitrate system. Been around for years.
Angel Gilding sells a good home hobby kit, but it's around $400. It takes some trial and error to get it right, and it has to be clear coated.
There is a Captain Phasma group on Facebook and a lot of folks use Nitrate. It's a good place to check out if you can.

Does anyone know more about this new spray on chrome system, price and durability?
I first heard about it a couple of years ago.
https://youtu.be/Jt2Z4Esi-CU

@ kontherun
| From what I can tell it's a product called "Spectra Chrome". The product appears to be legit considering that a multitude of college football teams are utilizing this tech, and some NFL teams use it for their face masks. The demand is so high, Riddell utilizes the Spectra Chrome tech in their manufacturing process.

http://www.sprayonchrome.com/index.html

addendum:: As I was writing this, Mr Mold Maker already posted info about it. Respectfully I defer to his judgement.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's awesome Ben! Scratch building or a kit? I can't even find a good Endoskull kit anywhere. Seems like even the Thai recasts are off the market.

Its a kit.The guy doesn't really sell them but I managed to get one.

that Kylo helmet looks killer too. I will have to look into it.

Ben

The T-1000 pieces and bullet hits that were vac metalized were rubber. You can't plate rubber, as it would crack and fall right off.. and back then they didn't have Imperiflex. ;) It's no surprise that they would plate the T-800s and vac metalized other pieces.

Imperiflex sounds awesome... would love to buy some but, there's almost no photos and I haven't found a single video show casing it :wacko
Really disappointing

You don't really find videos and pictures of the stuff because not many people know about it.. and those that do tend to act as if it's some secret information... This is the RPF.. it's all about sharing. I'm waiting on a urethane piece to arrive that I will be painting for a client and when I do I'll be posting a full tutorial using Imperiflex. Keep an eye out for that in the coming months and I'll run through the basics of it all.

As far as it in use, you've seen it, you just didn't know it. It gets used a lot on urethane or foam costumes, and is used heavily for stunt suits and flexible metallic or chrome pieces.
Just a few quick examples I had on my phone, though the easiest to point to is any Marvel movie. Iron Man suits, Thor's costumes and weapons, Captain America's shield, etc. If you ever chat with Sam, he can point out a thousand things done using his products.

IMG_1787.JPGIMG_1788.JPG

In this video around 9:30 when they start showing the flexible helmets and gloves, that was all painted with Imperiflex too.
Also.. at 5:58 what's sitting on the table? Alumaluster. :lol

Imperiflex sounds awesome... would love to buy some but, there's almost no photos and I haven't found a single video show casing it :wacko
Really disappointing

Last edited:
You don't really find videos and pictures of the stuff because not many people know about it.. and those that do tend to act as if it's some secret information... This is the RPF.. it's all about sharing. I'm waiting on a urethane piece to arrive that I will be painting for a client and when I do I'll be posting a full tutorial using Imperiflex. Keep an eye out for that in the coming months and I'll run through the basics of it all.

As far as it in use, you've seen it, you just didn't know it. It gets used a lot on urethane or foam costumes, and is used heavily for stunt suits and flexible metallic or chrome pieces.
Just a few quick examples I had on my phone, though the easiest to point to is any Marvel movie. Iron Man suits, Thor's costumes and weapons, Captain America's shield, etc. If you ever chat with Sam, he can point out a thousand things done using his products.

View attachment 718829View attachment 718830View attachment 718831

In this video around 9:30 when they start showing the flexible helmets and gloves, that was all painted with Imperiflex too.

Secrets sucks sometimes :(

I am curious if that is what they used on the rubber stunt sabers for Episode 3 :unsure hmm, because in the behind the scenes they talked about finally being able to chrome rubber props that bends without having the paint crack and get ruined.

It would be awesome for facial scars, Terminator style ;) :D

I will keep an eye out, and thanks for the info :)

Secrets sucks sometimes :(

I am curious if that is what they used on the rubber stunt sabers for Episode 3 :unsure hmm, because in the behind the scenes they talked about finally being able to chrome rubber props that bends without having the paint crack and get ruined.

It would be awesome for facial scars, Terminator style ;) :D

I will keep an eye out, and thanks for the info :)

Hmm... doesn't look like Imperial products are available here in Europe. Looks like Mouldlife in the UK used to have them, but not any longer. I've been using Alclad, and while it looks OK, it's not durable at all. The slightest rubbing will take it off, even if using their own aquaclear on top. (I have an airsoft Bren Ten that I need to paint soon, so I'm looking at options. Alclad will do it, but I'll have to never touch the thing again, haha.)

Hmm... doesn't look like Imperial products are available here in Europe. Looks like Mouldlife in the UK used to have them, but not any longer. I've been using Alclad, and while it looks OK, it's not durable at all. The slightest rubbing will take it off, even if using their own aquaclear on top. (I have an airsoft Bren Ten that I need to paint soon, so I'm looking at options. Alclad will do it, but I'll have to never touch the thing again, haha.)

The US always get to play with the fun toys :( :(

The link I posted earlier...
https://www.stanwinstonschool.com/t...utorial-metallic-painting-stan-winston-school

Rob Ramsdell mentions you can use alclad on bendy objects, like foam. But you have to first spray it with a base that allows it to bend: Rigid vs. Flexible - 01:59:03

"Bren Ten" is like a 1911-wannabe :lol :p

I think PS Composites stocks Imperial stuff. Not sure about the specifics over there but if you contact Sam Perea I'm sure you'll be able to sort it out.

If I recall correctly Rob suggests using Bulldog adhesion promoter, which does sort of work to an extent. I used that method on some BVS gauntlets and it worked pretty well because the paint layer was so thin. Get too thick and it wants to crack. Adhesion is only one half of the puzzle. You need flexibility as well.

If you want a good one component paint, Monster Makers sells Flex Gloss and BITY sells Flex Paint. They aren't quite as durable or flexible as Imperiflex but they are significantly cheaper and easier to apply if you don't have a good spray booth set up. You can shoot the chrome over that, but I'd expect you may have issues with it rubbing off. I've actually got a little stock of Flex Gloss as I use it on latex masks. When I do the write up on Imperiflex I'll do some tests with the Flex Gloss as well and post them up.

I think PS Composites stocks Imperial stuff. Not sure about the specifics over there but if you contact Sam Perea I'm sure you'll be able to sort it out.

If I recall correctly Rob suggests using Bulldog adhesion promoter, which does sort of work to an extent. I used that method on some BVS gauntlets and it worked pretty well because the paint layer was so thin. Get too thick and it wants to crack. Adhesion is only one half of the puzzle. You need flexibility as well.

If you want a good one component paint, Monster Makers sells Flex Gloss and BITY sells Flex Paint. They aren't quite as durable or flexible as Imperiflex but they are significantly cheaper and easier to apply if you don't have a good spray booth set up. You can shoot the chrome over that, but I'd expect you may have issues with it rubbing off. I've actually got a little stock of Flex Gloss as I use it on latex masks. When I do the write up on Imperiflex I'll do some tests with the Flex Gloss as well and post them up.

Bulldog sounds very familiar yes :) However as a European, it seems to be next to impossible to buy it though :(

I'm looking for a similar paint that would look like a chrome gold though. I have a nice gold but it is not really reflective at all. If anyone knows of something that can give that mirror effect in gold please share.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back