Virtual Reality - Occulus or Vive?

JediHomer

Sr Member
Gone but not forgotten.
didn't see a thread.. if there's one, mods please move/delete

doing research, i'm leaning towards Vive. anyone out here gots a system?

want to speak geek speak if you do, getting pretty excited to pull the trigger.

thanks!

Oculus owner here. Haven't tried the Vive, but from what I've read they're basically comparable at this point. Oculus has better screen quality, smaller/lighter/ergonomic, built in headphones, and I prefer their controllers. Vive has slightly larger FOV, easier tracking system to work with.

Not sure how Vives software side has been developing, but Oculus has assymetric time warp to help reduce judder and a while back they came out with assymetric space warp that lowered the PC requirements by a good bit. I also like the ease of use of Oculus app/storefront, SteamVR can be glitchy.

at first i was leaning to Rift but when i told my 18yr old, she corrected me and said to go Steam backed. from the specs, it seems Vive is more hardware intensive and definitely more costly.

setting up Oculus is like a 20min job vs. Vive being ~45min. Vive can play Oculus games with a hack and i hear nothing but good things about both systems but the one article i read did do a comparison that gave the victory to Vive.

wish there was a setup nearby that shows off both.... dropping ~2k down on a system, i want the best i can get for the money and have the ability to grow it for a few years.

it's either a VR system or a shuffleboard table, LOL, the room i have for this is too tight for a pool table but, perfect for both and given i don't entertain that much, shuffleboard isn't really a solo game, hence me thinking, it'd be cool to play with solo and when i entertain, peeps would get a kick out of it each taking turns.

are you able to watch game play on a monitor (see what they see)? how warm does your room get during a VR session? do you stand and move or sit and play?

i like the Rift's attached headphones vs. the buds that come with Vive but, i'd prob. plunk down a couple bux for a decent noise cancelling headset.

what's the best game or experience you've had? what do others say when they try it out?

i'd not be interested in it, it's cool but i don't want to be breaking out in a sweat playing games, i can workout and/or have sex for that ;)

Oculus with Oculus Touch.

The one advantage of HTC Vive is that it offers complete room VR out of the box and the front facing camera.
Oculus can reproduce room-scale VR but you might need one or more additional sensors in the circuit.
Oculus has better ergonomics. The headset is better balanced and more comfortable to wear for extended periods without fatigue.
Oculus Touch controllers are wonderful. They wrap around your hand and, in VR, you can act as if they're not there at all and simulate your hands in empty space. The Vive controllers are two giant batons.
Oculus cable management is cleaner and setup is much, much easier.

I believe HTC is working on an improved controller in the future but today the choice is Oculus. BTW Oculus also had a 25% price drop so it's really a no-brainer.

Oculus with Oculus Touch.

The one advantage of HTC Vive is that it offers complete room VR out of the box and the front facing camera.
Oculus can reproduce room-scale VR but you might need one or more additional sensors in the circuit.
Oculus has better ergonomics. The headset is better balanced and more comfortable to wear for extended periods without fatigue.
Oculus Touch controllers are wonderful. They wrap around your hand and, in VR, you can act as if they're not there at all and simulate your hands in empty space. The Vive controllers are two giant batons.
Oculus cable management is cleaner and setup is much, much easier.

I believe HTC is working on an improved controller in the future but today the choice is Oculus. BTW Oculus also had a 25% price drop so it's really a no-brainer.

hence my post... i saw the price drop for Oculus, along with games at 60% off.... Vive is countering with free offers but these are mostly developer games, not fine polished. i do like the look of the Touch controllers vs. the batons and as i said, the attached headphones are much 'cleaner' than ear buds and it'd be an added cost for a headset.

keep the discussions going! i'm soaking it all up like a sponge! i do like the full room VR, but i think i read that you can set up the Oculus system for it as well

hence my post... i saw the price drop for Oculus, along with games at 60% off.... Vive is countering with free offers but these are mostly developer games, not fine polished. i do like the look of the Touch controllers vs. the batons and as i said, the attached headphones are much 'cleaner' than ear buds and it'd be an added cost for a headset.

keep the discussions going! i'm soaking it all up like a sponge! i do like the full room VR, but i think i read that you can set up the Oculus system for it as well
I'm going to go full room once I have the space probably after my house is remodeled. That being said, I do like the headset camera that Vive has where I think you can enable a "ghost" of reality so you don't have to step on real objects.

Roomscale does work completely fine with the Oculus. On Vive centric messageboards you'll hear a lot to the contrary though. Oculus+Touch comes with 2 cameras and that worked fine for 95% of the stuff I did, with poor camera placement (like 3 feet off the ground, 3 feet in front of me). I've since mounted them on security camera mounts to the ceiling, and got the 3rd sensor for behind and I have trouble occluding the controllers on purpose to test it out. The stock HDMI/USB cord on the Rift is a little short, but they do sell extensions. Just do your research. The Oculus subreddit has a list of which cables work well and which do not.

I do both seated VR stuff when I'm lazy, or full stand up move around stuff sometimes. My room doesnt have a ton of space, so I have to move stuff around when I want to do roomscale. And yea, the Touch controllers are extremely awesome.

The Rift came in super handy this past week too. My tv I use for my monitor died on me, but I was able to boot up my PC, type my login password blind, wait a min, then put on the Rift and it autolaunches the app and I was in. Between Bigscreen and Virtual Desktop, I could do just about anything on my computer I needed while waiting for new TV to arrive.

As to your other questions, most games do mirror the view to the desktop so people can see. Its program specific, some will do a direct mirror with both screens side by side, others will show one regular window.
As far as best experiences, probably the craziest thing was actually Minecraft. I haven't tried it with the official support, but had a mod someone made before then. Having played countless hours in that game, just seeing it in VR at real scale was intense. A simple 2 block high drop is nothing, but when you look down and see the full 6 feet it trainslates to, its crazy lol.
Other must get games are Raw Data, Dead and Buried, The Unspoken. Robo Recall just came out for free on Rift, but I havent tried it yet. Waiting on Lone Echo as well.
If you have Elite Dangerous, the VR support in that is really fun too. Haven't dug too much into that one yet, its a pretty involved game.
Also Google Earth VR is a must have (and free)

my mouth is watering... i think i've made the decision, it's this over a shuffleboard table definitely! thanks for the feedbackeveryone!

The stock HDMI/USB cord on the Rift is a little short, but they do sell extensions. Just do your research. The Oculus subreddit has a list of which cables work well and which do not.
Can you save me a search and tell me what HDMI/USB extensions work best with Oculus Rift?

I started a thread that started off with my concerns about the resurgence of VR, but then I included many VR related topics because now I actually have hope. For me. The VR helmet I would like to have is the StarVR due to their greater field of vision. However, I have come across a VR helmet that looks like I'm t was designed primarily for sitting and lacks the in-out directional tracking called the Pimax 4K VR (it's not truly 4K, but the resolution looks promising, it's depth of field adjustment for eyes are done in software and is about $100 to $200 cheaper than and Oculus Rift or Vive. Honestly, the only way VR will really take off is if there is an actual cheaper headset that has everything the Vive, Oculus Rift or Star VR have and without such a hefty price tag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

headsets are ~6-700 bux... i see them coming down definitely as that's what's trending right now. Oculus just had a big sale too. it's really not the headsets themselves that's a problem, it's the bundle package for novices to get into VR gaming. THAT is a hefty price tag as a beginner doesn't have a kick butt computer system so, there's $1,000.00 right there.

i'm trying to justify it as my laptop is slowly dying and i'll need to transfer my pics/videos to another platform as i could use the machine for more than gaming but i need a system that can get me into VR gaming for the next year or two before i need to start upgrading the graphics card, RAM, etc... if one already has a kick butt gaming computer, it's not as hard a hit on the wallet, that's all i'm saying.

even thought about unloading my XOne to knock $300 off the final price tag but it seems too trivial as it'd only pay for half a headset, lol.

i see VR getting it's footing... question on whether you pay upfront to enjoy it now, or sit back and wait for the price to come down and miss out. same thing with televisions, same thing with everything.

not sure i like the idea of a full bucket on my head but i'd bet the sound and pic is amazing... i'm claustrophobic is the reason there. i'll check out what you posted above though!

I know people are going to be like, "That's what cellphones are for." But I'm surprised someone hasn't developed a device to slide into the cellphone designed VR goggles that can be connected straight to the PC without having to actually use a cellphone. I know, that sounds kinda stupid and redundant, but I can tell you that I would like to keep my cellphone separate while doing VR.

u lost me... sorry if i'm not following

the VR setup i'm talking about isn't cell phone reliant.... cell phones can simulate VR but, it's not the full effect, need the power of a gamer pc to do that with graphic cards.

cell phone is not tied to the setups i'm exploring, dedicated for gaming only, my phone can sit nearby should someone call me untethered. that what you mean?

Okay, let me be clear: referring back to my topic of "the only way VR is gonna take off is if there is an actually cheaper VR headset that has everything the big boys do", the cheapest item I'm surprised someone hasn't come up with making a device that can fit into cellphone VR goggles that can connect to the PC and actually spares users from using their phones to be able to get a cheap but full VR experience like the big boys. Without breaking the bank. Basically, removing cellphones from the equation and replacing it the hardware dedicated to allowing users who have such headsets the freedom of having a powerful rig without hefty price tag.

I hope that clarifies what I was talking about. :)

but doesn't the PS4 offer it as a less expensive option? i'm not interested in a playstation, if i'm going, i'm going in full.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back