Virtual Reality - Occulus or Vive?

Unfortunatly Trails on Tatooine is hardly even worth the download, all these quick 5 minute demos's that the "big" companies are releasing to promote movies or games just confirm that the real innovation has to come from smaller indie developers, at least at the moment.

I know lucas arts is working on some sort of interactive Star Wars movie for VR, but it will probably be geared more towards the PSVR users and not Rift/Vive.
At the moment the market is just to small for major studios to invest in anything beyond a small promotional demo.

Thats why i love the fact that Beteshda and ID are working on VR. Because they see that even though it's not profitable right now, it is probably the future of gaming.

not worth the download? um... i think it's free and even if it's just a 5min experience, i'll download it, play it, delete it, then download again should someone want to check it out.

no sweat

https://uploadvr.com/9-best-vive-games-to-play-right-now/

OH just remembered...you HAVE to try VR Accounting on steam. Made with Justin Roiland from Rick and Morty. Can't really even describe it, its just too funny and crazy

Vive owner here, seems to be a lot of Oculus love from you guys, I only owend the Oculus DK1 and thought is was terrible so i cant say anything about the CV1
OK. I'll play this game. I can't stand by as the Vive guy throws down the gauntlet to dis my Rift. :eek

The DK1 is a developer's kit with primitive specs. Of course it's terrible against the Vive or the CV1 (which you haven't tried) . It wasn't a commercial product and was even constructed with mostly off the shelf parts. So that statement shouldn't weigh on anyone's decision as to getting the Rift vs. Vive.

I've owned the Vive for 9 months now and can honestly say it's been mind blowing, The Vive + Steam is just a perfect match
Steam works for Oculus Rift, too. I don't understand. You can use the Steam storefront and Steam calibration. With the Rift you're not tied to the Oculus store. With Vive you're tied to Steam.

and Nothing Oculus offers even comes close to true roomscale play. No contest there, on that front the vive leaves the rift in the dust.
On what basis do you say that? Oculus does have true roomscale.

You haven't even tried Oculus roomscale play so that assertion makes no sense. You could have made that statement 9 months ago but that was before Oculus even released Touch.

When both platforms were initially released, Oculus simply didn't have roomscale solution because they were refining the Touch while HTC broke ground by introducing it first. I feel like they rushed a ratty product to market just so they could beat Oculus at being the first. What they released were those ridiculous melee weapon controllers. I'd rather wait for a polished, well-designed product (Oculus Touch) than dump money on something shoddy from the start.

What I do like about the Vive is that their headset has a camera where you can, if you want, see a ghost of your environment during gameplay. That's one feature I wish I did have with the Oculus. In Oculus you can have a default view that shows a wireframe of your predefined borders when you get close to them but it would be nice to see random objects on the floor to avoid, too. Do you find that a very useful feature?

The hardware and software is just great, and the lighthouse technology currently has no rival, the only thing not up to par on the vive are the trackpads on the controllers, they tend to break after months of heavy use and in this area the touch controllers and their anologue stick have the vive beat.
"No rival?" How is that? I hear the lighthouse is slightly easier to setup than Rift but, in truth, they're both going to take time and effort to get perfect. Roomscale VR is roomscale VR. Unless there are tracking issues the experience is going to be the same with either device. So far the only device that has worrisome tracking issues is the Sony VR.

And the Rift controllers alone were worth the wait. Since they rest around your hands you can perform a lot of functions and forget there's a controller in your hand. You reach out and see your virtual hands grabbing things, pushing buttons, punching, etc. The Rift controllers are tough. I've accidentally bashed them into hard objects and I have little more than superficial scuffs.

With the Vive you're always aware that you're holding two giant batons. I've heard Vive owners frequently smacking themselves in the head with those giant clubs. You're also more likely to smack things accidentally and those sticks break like crazy. Good luck with customer service.

In terms of immersion the Rift controllers alone tip the scales far in favor of the Oculus.

The current support from HTC is also abismal and if you decide to purchase a vive, gro through a third party retailer and not HTC.
Rift support isn't great either. They're severely understaffed and the warraty is essentially non-existent. Fortunately the Rift (and I presume the Vive) are pretty solid devices that have survived drops and accidental blows ... at least so far in my experience.

Also the rift has more hight quality games, however how long will this last when facebook no longer pays developers to make games?
Still it is about time valve releases the vive games they are working on.
I didn't know that the quality of games were that much different. I assumed the selection was pretty comparable between the two but, then again, I haven't tried the Vive selection of games. I didn't know Vive generally had lower quality games.

Actually I thought that most games were actually portable between the two platforms. In some cases there might require minimal tweaking but most titles can be made to run with either. I'll have to look into that further.

Honestly the rift was never a option for me personally because it always seemed pretty clear to me that valve was in it for the long haul and would support the Vive and newer iterations for years to come, not so sure about facebook.
Facebook isn't committed to Oculus? That's news to me. I think their long term objective is in applying it to social networking. You can get glimpses of the capability if you ever tried Big Screen where both Rift and Vive guys can interact in virtual spaces.

I've got 120 hours in Onward right now and when i hear Rift users talk about how they had to purchase 3 camera's just to get something close to roomscale i think yeah no contest.
When you get a Rift with Touch you have two cameras already. A third camera is $59. Big deal.

The vast majority of apps aren't roomscale implimentations and don't require it. Racing sims, Space craft sims, virtual theaters etc. are sit/stand experiences that don't need full roomscale. It's just that the handfull of roomscale apps are what can showcase the potential of VR.

The Oculus can be configured a number of ways to suit your needs. There's only one Vive setup. If you don't want/need full roomscale VR, or if you don't have a large space (yet) or if you simply don't want to drill into your walls or ceiling, you can have a compact setup with one or two sensors on your desk.

You don't even have that option with the Vive. With the Vive you're committed to mounting lighthouse sensors in the corner of your room where you can get them above eye-level which means you're either drilling into your walls/ceiling or having to buy 6 foot stands (if you're lucky you might have really tall bookshelves at either corner of a room so you don't have to do either). You can even do limited roomscale with two Oculus sensors but adding a third really helps.

Still, I don't understand how requiring a third sensor would make the Oculus any worse than the Vive. If you think that 3 sensors makes the Rift "inferior" I could also make the case that the Oculus sensors are more advanced because they're small, discrete, cylinders - smaller than a roll of quarters and can be mounted at desk-level or up high. If you mount them to the wall or even put them on stands you hardly even notice them. The Vive sensors are giant cubes that need to be mounted above eye level.

The Oculus sensors might not even be noticed but ,whenever someone walks into a room with Vive, the first question is, "What the heck are those big cubes doing on your wall?"

In truth, if you're in VR who cares how many sensors you're using or how big they are. The experience is the same. It's just that the Oculus doesn't make your room look like a soundstage.

Also valve seems to be putting way more effort in developing newer updated technology, so i'm very optimistic about the future of the vive.
"More effort?" I don't keep up on VR news but how is Oculus putting less effort into development? The way it felt to me is that Oculus wanted a refined product from the start with their Touch. I felt like HTC, in their haste to be the first to get roomscale, dumped those unweildy baton controllers on the market. HTC is working on comparable controllers to the Touch but I'd be pissed that they didn't work on the improved controller from the start because that means I'll be having to buy the new controller when(if) HTC produces it.

I like that Oculus seems more polished and a complete product from the start. As I said before, the balance and ergonomics of the headset make for less VR fatigue. The HTC isn't as well balanced and is a much heavier piece of gear you're strapping to your face. The HTC is also front-heavy in comparison. The HTC headset isn't as well ventillated and it gets sweaty really fast. The Oculus Rift feels a lot more natural and is well ventilated. It's clear that thought went into these aspects in the design.

So for now the Rift is the smoother experience, however the Vive has already won the battle and if Valve gets HTC to tighten up their game, i see nothing but good things in the future.

With everything going on around Oculus/Facebook right now, i just dont see a future for the rift, and with the vive outselling the rift 2 to 1 at the moment it seems most people would agree.
HTC outsold the Oculus simply because they were the first to impiment roomscale VR with handheld controllers. The early Rift release didn't have Touch and was released with an X-Box controller. Had there been no HTC the Rift wouldn't have been released until the Touch was perfected. The triumph of HTC sales is more a triumph of strategic marketing and aggressive pricing more than anything else.

I do still find it funny how i take roomscale VR for granted now, it's really amazing yet it's just become so normal in my day to day life. Cant wait to see what the next few years will bring.
No doubt we're still in early phase with VR in general. Resolution can be improved for either platform. But, even if what we have is first generation VR, the ride is well worth it.

Both are nice systems. But the Rift controllers alone would seal the deal for me to go the Rift. But I also can't stand the weight, imbalance and sweatiness of the Vive headset on my face - especially after feeling how comfortable the Oculus Rift headset is. I'm sure some day HTC will make improved controllers but the ergonomics aren't going to change and why should you buy a system knowing you would also have to buy the upgraded controllers in the future?

Now can we both get along and agree to scoff at Sony VR?

Last edited:
the Touch controllers are super awesome. theyre apparently super strong too. I'd seen posts on reddit of people punching chunks out of their concrete walls and only scuffing the halo on the controller. I've thrown mine a couple times by accident, and punched my tv, but no damage really

the Touch controllers are super awesome. theyre apparently super strong too. I'd seen posts on reddit of people punching chunks out of their concrete walls and only scuffing the halo on the controller. I've thrown mine a couple times by accident, and punched my tv, but no damage really
I will attest to that. I swung around with one controller and accidentally smacked it into my stone fireplace. The controller "halo" is only very lightly scuffed.

Wow must have taken you a while to wright all that:D

HTC outsold the Oculus simply because they were the first to impiment roomscale VR with handheld controllers. The early Rift release didn't have Touch and was released with an X-Box controller. Had there been no HTC the Rift wouldn't have been released until the Touch was perfected. The triumph of HTC sales is more a triumph of strategic marketing and aggressive pricing more than anything else.

The Rift actually outsold the Vive in the early days before the touch controllers were released because most people had heard of Oculus before and most people had never even heard of the Vive. And honestly HTC's marketing around the Vive was abismal and thats why HTC is playing catch up with Oculus when it comes to professionally created games.

Oculus sponsored content creators way before the Rift was released so the platform would have plenty of games on launch, HTC only started doing this just before the Vives release so thats why it has less polished experiences right now.

The thing is with VR games, they are just not profitable right now. A one man team can make a living releasing a moderately popular game, but larger studios need funding from either Oculus or HTC/Valve to make it worth while.

I totally agree that the Rifts controllers are superior to the current vive ones in function not design, personally i like the Vive "batton" desing a lot more because it really makes me feel like i'm holding a gun or sword. However i do expect HTC will be copying the Rift controllers design for their future versions, i like the trackpads but there seems to be a inherent flaw in the design, i wonder if the steam controller has the same issues.

I have tried the CV1 but not long enough to give any indepth comments, so i wont.

Like i said these are my personal feelings about the Vive and not having used the Rift for long enough to form a solid opinion, i have to rely on what people around me say that have the Rift. I hear a lot of people complain that they cant even get solid roomscale tracking with 3 cameras and they have a myriad of other tracking problems.

And trust me the people that complain about the Vive not being comfortable, are just wearing it wrong, not to say that they should not improve on the design and comfort level offcourse, i might even get the new deluxe strap. But the rift does indeed win points for comfort.

But i do very much disagree, you cant compare the Rifts simple cameras to the lighthouse technology. I would love to see Oculuse somehow implement Valves lighthouse tech to make the Rift that much better.

There are pros and cons to each system and thats why people that want to get into VR should do a lot of research and try both systems out before buying either. If you do plan on getting into VR, dont listen to fanboys like us and just try them BOTH!!!!!!!

I like the PSVR, it's like a gateway drug:lol A lot of people bought either the Vive or Rift because of it.

Last edited:
Wow must have taken you a while to wright all that:D
It sure did!

Like i said these are my personal feelings about the Vive and not having used the Rift for long enough to form a solid opinion, i have to rely on what people around me say that have the Rift. I hear a lot of people complain that they cant even get solid roomscale tracking with 3 cameras and they have a myriad of other tracking problems.
Tracking problems occur if they're not correctly set up. A lot of Oculus users are used to the convenience of putting them on those 8 inch stands. Vive users already accept they should be anchoring their sensors to the wall or ceiling. If you take care to position Oculus sensors AND mount them up high like the Vive lighthouse you won't have problems. If Oculus mandated that the sensors were mounted up high, like Vive does, nobody would have problems.

And trust me the people that complain about the Vive not being comfortable, are just wearing it wrong, not to say that they should not improve on the design and comfort level offcourse, i might even get the new deluxe strap.

But i do very much disagree, you cant compare the Rifts simple cameras to the lighthouse technology. I would love to see Oculuse somehow implement Valves lighthouse tech to make the Rift that much better.
I'm not entirely sure that doesn't have more to do with the sensor placement.

There are pros and cons to each system and thats why people that want to get into VR should do a lot of research and try both systems out before buying either. If you do plan on getting into VR, dont listen to fanboys like us and just try them BOTH!!!!!!!
There are some shops where you can try both systems. But I agree.

I like the PSVR, it's like a gateway drug:lol A lot of people bought either the Vive or Rift because of it.
Yeah but I feel sorry for folks who invest in it then find out they should have invested in the real thing.

The thing with the Oculus tracking issues is a lot of different factors were involved for different people. Placement is huge, but stuff like which USB ports you plugged the different cameras into as well as possible driver issues were adding to it as well. That is one thing I do like about the Vive lighthouses. They just need power, no wasted USBs.

My roomscale setup works flawlessly, and still worked 90% with just 2 front facing with the cameras basically knee height 3 feet away before I got them mounted up. The camera FOV cone is way bigger than you'd expect. Theres a program called Desk Scene that lets you see the cameras and their FOV laid out in space around you so you can tweak tthe directions they face. Super helpful.

I gotta say i'm impressed with HTC's repair service, the trackpad on my controller got stuck so i had to RMA it. UPS picked it up yesterday and i just got a e-mail that it had already been fixed (and what exactly had been fixed) and it should reach me tomorrow.

I thought it would take weeks to get it back, seems in this part of europe atleast the service is spot on. Now i wish i hadn't tried to fix my other controller myself and voided the warranty:lol (and broke the haptic feedback and sound while doing so) Dohhhhh!

I would love a program like Desk Scene so i could calibrate the positon of my lighthouses, tracking has been slightly off since i redecorated.

The PSVR is a lot more than a gateway drug. The positional tracking they were able to achieve with the tech they're using is pretty incredible. And as far as headset form factor, both Oculus and Vive could learn a lot from them. Resting the weight on your forehead instead of the bridge of your nose was a masterstroke.

that would be way too fun.
he batman arkham vr from ps4 got added to steam. heard its pretty cool, but sorta pricey at $20 for whats basically a demo. waiting for steam sale

also the Rick and Morty game is out on the 20th!

that would be way too fun.
he batman arkham vr from ps4 got added to steam. heard its pretty cool, but sorta pricey at $20 for whats basically a demo. waiting for steam sale

I think it is insulting to consider ARKHAM VR a "demo."

If you're referencing the length, I think its runtime is right in line with what VR experiences should responsibly be. Not to mention, the story and overall experience design is utterly spectacular.

I havent played it, just going by like steam reviews and similar. I know a lot of early vr experiences put themselves at a similar pricepoint with a limited value so its good to be wary. I want it to be a lot more than a demo, what I've seen looks awesome. But like everything else on steam, add to wishlist, wait for sale lol

I've been spending a lot of time on my most recent download ... Google Earth VR. LOL. Seriously. It's amazing "revisiting" places I've lived and places I've never been.
While it would be nice to zoom in to life-size it's not bad and you can get down to about King Kong sized crouching down to look at your neighborhood and standing to look at the horizon. Before long a couple of hours passed and I've gone around the world and look forward to new places. Really cool!

Edit: I just found out there IS a street level view in Google Earth VR. I know where I'm going next tonight!

Last edited:
yea Google Earth VR is pretty incredible. now has official Rift support, so the touch control buttons work a lot better than the steam version hack

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back