Virtual Reality - Occulus or Vive?

but doesn't the PS4 offer it as a less expensive option? i'm not interested in a playstation, if i'm going, i'm going in full.

As far as I know, the PSVR can only work with the PS console. I'll admit, I'm a PC gamer and I don't think the PSVR helmet could work with the PC without some sort of hardware hacking done (could be wrong on this).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i've not seen anything in that regard... it's either not possible or noone cares to check it out.

looking at cable management now... some really cool setups i'm seeing... the VR movement is happening, just not as fast as everyone would like to reduce cost but it is moving at a good clip.

may wait til the summer to pull the trigger once i'm settled in my new home... plus, i'm sure console prices will drop for back to school, i might be able to snag a good deal then. in the meantime, i'm still researching.

Okay, let me be clear: referring back to my topic of "the only way VR is gonna take off is if there is an actually cheaper VR headset that has everything the big boys do", the cheapest item I'm surprised someone hasn't come up with making a device that can fit into cellphone VR goggles that can connect to the PC and actually spares users from using their phones to be able to get a cheap but full VR experience like the big boys. Without breaking the bank. Basically, removing cellphones from the equation and replacing it the hardware dedicated to allowing users who have such headsets the freedom of having a powerful rig without hefty price tag.

I hope that clarifies what I was talking about. :)

You do realize that the cellphone "VR" is nothing like the Rift/Vive VR, right?

When you say you're looking to do "everything the big boys do" it sounds like you're expecting the Rift/Vive experience. Cellphone VR is only rotational. Rift/Vive allows you to lean in and out and walk around - that's a huge difference and it's what requires all the processing power and peripheral sensory devices.

If you're looking to emulate this with a device that fits inside cellphone VR goggles you have to realize that you're basically making an Rift/Vive that fits in a Google Cardboard shell. It's not sufficient to recreate the cellphone screen and motion sensors because the Rift/Vive headset has a lot more tech inside than that. You still have to buy the expensive tech that goes into a Rift/Vive headset, the external sensors and the power of a higher end PC to drive it all. Where is the cost savings?

But if you're looking for something that just emulates the cellphone VR (only rotation) by replacing the cellphone with an item that has the screen and motion sensors and uses the PC as a processor I'm not sure if you're going to save that much money. The quality OLED screen and sensors alone seem like they're a large part of what makes a cellphone expensive and, without the huge volume purchasing power of Samsung or Apple for parts, a manufacturer is going to have higher production cost which gets you a device that will cost as much or more than a cellphone does.

Last edited:
You do realize that the cellphone "VR" is nothing like the Rift/Vive VR, right?

When you say you're looking to do "everything the big boys do" it sounds like you're expecting the Rift/Vive experience. Cellphone VR is only rotational. Rift/Vive allows you to lean in and out and walk around - that's a huge difference and it's what requires all the processing power and peripheral sensory devices.

If you're looking to emulate this with a device that fits inside cellphone VR goggles you have to realize that you're basically making an Rift/Vive that fits in a Google Cardboard shell. It's not sufficient to recreate the cellphone screen and motion sensors because the Rift/Vive headset has a lot more tech inside than that. You still have to buy the expensive tech that goes into a Rift/Vive headset, the external sensors and the power of a higher end PC to drive it all. Where is the cost savings?

But if you're looking for something that just emulates the cellphone VR (only rotation) by replacing the cellphone with an item that has the screen and motion sensors and uses the PC as a processor I'm not sure if you're going to save that much money. The quality OLED screen and sensors alone seem like they're a large part of what makes a cellphone expensive and, without the huge volume purchasing power of Samsung or Apple for parts, a manufacturer is going to have higher production cost which gets you a device that will cost as much or more than a cellphone does.

You do realize you've asked that question before and I answered you in the other thread, right? XD But to repeat myself, yes, I know cellphone VR is not the same as the Oculus Rift. Which is why building some hardware that could go into the VR headsets designed for cellphones, but has the same quality as the PC head gear (similar to what you mentioned in the last paragraph of your reply) is what I'm referring to. So far, the closest thing I've come that's close to it is the Pico VR headset, which is a mobile VR head set that also works on PC (minus the positional tracking). Yes, I know it seems kinda a like a stupid idea, but it's just an idea.

You do realize you've asked that question before and I answered you in the other thread, right? XD But to repeat myself, yes, I know cellphone VR is not the same as the Oculus Rift. Which is why building some hardware that could go into the VR headsets designed for cellphones, but has the same quality as the PC head gear (similar to what you mentioned in the last paragraph of your reply) is what I'm referring to. So far, the closest thing I've come that's close to it is the Pico VR headset, which is a mobile VR head set that also works on PC (minus the positional tracking). Yes, I know it seems kinda a like a stupid idea, but it's just an idea.

So you're just emulating cellphone "VR" without position tracking?
So you're just getting a device+PC combo that's supposed to replace the function of your cellphone, right?
Which means it would only be viable if you can make it cheaper than a cellphone.

So you're just emulating cellphone "VR" without position tracking?
So you're just getting a device+PC combo that's supposed to replace the function of your cellphone, right?
Which means it would only be viable if you can make it cheaper than a cellphone.

Like I said, it's just an idea. Didn't say it was a good one. XD

Vive owner here, seems to be a lot of Oculus love from you guys, I only owend the Oculus DK1 and thought is was terrible so i cant say anything about the CV1

I've owned the Vive for 9 months now and can honestly say it's been mind blowing, The Vive + Steam is just a perfect match and Nothing Oculus offers even comes close to true roomscale play. No contest there, on that front the vive leaves the rift in the dust.

The hardware and software is just great, and the lighthouse technology currently has no rival, the only thing not up to par on the vive are the trackpads on the controllers, they tend to break after months of heavy use and in this area the touch controllers and their anologue stick have the vive beat.

The current support from HTC is also abismal and if you decide to purchase a vive, gro through a third party retailer and not HTC.
Also the rift has more hight quality games, however how long will this last when facebook no longer pays developers to make games?
Still it is about time valve releases the vive games they are working on.

Honestly the rift was never a option for me personally because it always seemed pretty clear to me that valve was in it for the long haul and would support the Vive and newer iterations for years to come, not so sure about facebook.

I've got 120 hours in Onward right now and when i hear Rift users talk about how they had to purchase 3 camera's just to get something close to roomscale i think yeah no contest.
Also valve seems to be putting way more effort in developing newer updated technology, so i'm very optimistic about the future of the vive.

So for now the Rift is the smoother experience, however the Vive has already won the battle and if Valve gets HTC to tighten up their game, i see nothing but good things in the future.

With everything going on around Oculus/Facebook right now, i just dont see a future for the rift, and with the vive outselling the rift 2 to 1 at the moment it seems most people would agree.

I do still find it funny how i take roomscale VR for granted now, it's really amazing yet it's just become so normal in my day to day life. Cant wait to see what the next few years will bring.

Last edited:
have been leaning towards the Vive... all of these posts help tremendously, thanks everyone!

so....................... 3rd party seller? let's see some trustworthy names. who would you recommend?

and, how is Onward? have you played many titles?

With 3rd party seller i just mean your local electronics store or a online retailer, most countries should have it for sale somewhere.

If your into military shooters like Arma or Insurgency/Squad, Onward is for you. The gameplay is very strategic and teamwork is a must. This is really the only game i play at the moment VR and Non-VR. It will probably take some time to get your VR legs, some people get a little queasy in the beginning, But i never do in multiplayer games for some reason.

Other great games i think are a must: Arizona Sunshine, Call of the Starseed, Vanising Realms, Vertigo.

I have about 30 VR titles at the moment but most games you play just once and thats it, the only games you really keep playing are multiplayer and that is where VR shows it's true potential in my opinion.

This year should see the release of some mayor titles for the Vive, Fallout4 and the 3 titles valve are working on.

But like i said, at the moment Oculus has more polished experiences, i just dont think they can keep it up for long. VR games are still not profitable for big studios and larger indie teams.

fallout... i just started playing it 3weeks ago, turned to my 18yr old and said, damn... this would be incredible in VR

Yep the entire game is gonna be playable in VR start to finish, should probably be out around christmas.

Bethesda is really jumping onboard the VR express with that one, still hard to imagine spending another 100 hours walking around the wasteland in VR:D

Hey guys,
I just want to throw this out there.
I picked up the Sony Playstation VR bundle to go with my PS4 after a buddy of mine said I had to try the Rogue One VR mission on Battlefront.

I have to say that that was honestly one of the strangest, coolest, and actually emotional experiences I've had in a long time.
I know it's going to sound like I'm over selling it, and believe me I understand. But also believe me when I tell you that my friends thought the same thing until they came over and tried it. Both of them went home and bought one the next day.

I don't really know how to explain it other than I feel like I sat in an X-Wing cockpit and played with all the buttons and then friggin flew in space around a star destroyer and shot down a bunch of TIE fighters. It's completely amazing how real it feels.

You start off with the battle front load screen where an AT-AT walks by the menu...except with the VR head set on... an ACTUAL FULL SIZED AT-AT like literally walks past you! IT's insanely weird. Then you start off in a hangar of sorts with an X-Wing and you can hear yourself echo when you talk, walk around, look around, etc. You can move to different areas around the X-Wing and get a really good look at it. All Full size and full detail.
THEN, you climb the ladder and stare down into the cockpit. You can peek your head around the instruments and see the dirt in the floorboard, the tears in the seat, the rust on the hoses, everything!.
Now, you climb in and the canopy closes over you. The sound outside is muffled and you're sitting in an X-Wing. You can stay there as long as you want. Look behind you and there's your R2. Push all the buttons, turn on your targeting computer, you name it. I must have sat there for 30 minutes.
When you're ready to start the mission, all of a sudden you're in friggin space! And the first time you move the yoke and the X-wing dives around the medical frigate it'll blow your mind. Jump to light speed, fly through asteroids, take down TIES, disable a Star Destroyer and get out alive. All of it feels like youre really there.
When the mission was over, I pulled the headset off and just sat there. I was honestly emotional. I realized I had always wanted to fly in a Star Wars Battle and that was just about as realistic as you can get. It really affected me. Needless to say, I've flown the mission 20 more times since then.

I'm also working my way through several VR demos. Some are OK, and some are fantastic. I really like the Batman Arkham VR. Very cool experience (even though it's short).
I have to say I really thought this would be gimmicky but after trying it, I continue to be super impressed every time I put it on.

Compared to more expensive ones I can't complain. the quality is excellent, the setup is simple (just a camera, no sensors all over the place) and there is very little screen door effect if any, the head tracking is dead on, no motion sickness, 3d sound with headphones, the move controllers feel very natural.
It's really really fun and I HIGHLY recommend it
Just trust me though that if you want to try the Rogue One VR mission, DON'T watch any youtube videos of the gameplay first. It'll ruin it for you and watching it on a computer screen is NOTHING like experiencing it.

Just my 2 cents. but HOLY S*%&T it's awesome.

awesome review!

i've hear the same from other players that get emotional so i don't think you're making it up. one guy said the same thing... he sat there in reality afterwards, weepy, for a good 10min decompressing. i can only anticipate my senses overloaded and the hairs on my body standing on edge.

Pat, it's seriously weird. the bundle came with VR Worlds which has an ocean dive section. When watching the person's point of view on the TV it looks really lame. But when you put it on, it's crazy! I jumped several times when the shark pulled the front of the cage off and tried to eat me.
And this other Horror game that came with it...I can't even play it. I played the first two levels and had constant chills to the point it started hurting. Creeped me the F out. lol
awesome review!

i've hear the same from other players that get emotional so i don't think you're making it up. one guy said the same thing... he sat there in reality afterwards, weepy, for a good 10min decompressing. i can only anticipate my senses overloaded and the hairs on my body standing on edge.

THAT is what i'm talking about! LOL... big smile on my face, wish i could go out and pick it up today but i really should wait for my house to be completed and i'm all moved in

Unfortunatly Trails on Tatooine is hardly even worth the download, all these quick 5 minute demos's that the "big" companies are releasing to promote movies or games just confirm that the real innovation has to come from smaller indie developers, at least at the moment.

I know lucas arts is working on some sort of interactive Star Wars movie for VR, but it will probably be geared more towards the PSVR users and not Rift/Vive.
At the moment the market is just to small for major studios to invest in anything beyond a small promotional demo.

Thats why i love the fact that Beteshda and ID are working on VR. Because they see that even though it's not profitable right now, it is probably the future of gaming.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back