MEN IN BLACK — SERIES 4 DEATOMIZER — FINISHED W/ VIDEO!!!

Re: Men in Black- Series 4 Deatomizer Update 4/13/17

Are you going to remove the top tube and replace it with aluminum like the original?

Are you talking about the part that the knob is connected to? I hadn't thought about that. The whole thing is built to screw together so I'm not sure how that would work if you removed and replaced a big chunk of it lol. It'll be easier to tell for sure once it gets here though. Since I plan to get the whole thing done with the fake chrome I don't know if it would matter if I replaced it. I'd love to do paint but I'm just not finding any paint that's reflective enough that can be handled without leaving fingerprints or getting smudged. I bought two others today that were nice but they just didn't cut it lol

yes the top tube with the knob.

Did you try that Krylon metallic silver stuff ?

The only two I haven't tried are the metallic foil one you're referring to, and the Spaz Stix Chrome. I think I'm going to have to order both of them online

I like how the Spaz Stix Chrome can be buffed a little afterward, it really gives it a great metallic look!

On pg 10 of the ZF1 thread there is a color chart that has that silver foil. It was used on the barrel and rocket tube and some other parts in that pic. It looks like it shines. You can see the reflection of the other parts in it. I am going to be happy if I can get my guns like that. The real ones look about that shiny .

Man that actually does look really really good. Did they say how it stood up to handling and fingerprints and all that?

All of the Deatomizer parts came in the mail today! I plan to do a test fitting later tonight after buying all the screws. The main body and a few parts need some cleanup but nothing too bad. Here's a photo of the gun and one of some parts being positioned where they're supposed to go.

IMG_9438_zpsi31kgqhu.jpeg

IMG_9437_zps9qar9a9a.jpeg

Re: Men in Black- Series 4 Deatomizer Update 4/21/17

I planned on uploading a short video of the gun all put together but unfortunately I didn't have enough of the screws I needed so that's postponed until tomorrow.

Here's a video for anyone keeping an eye on this thread. I did a test fitting of all of the parts. Sadly, a few of them just aren't going to cut it and will have to be reordered as the quality just wasn't up to par. The main body needs lots of sanding though so I'll try to keep getting photos as it gets smoothed out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yjLG4MeryU

Sadly, a few of them just aren't going to cut it and will have to be reordered as the quality just wasn't up to par.

What, more specifically, was the problem? ABS is prone to warping and shrinkage (which is why I never use it) so when blending materials, like with the clear resin, you have to take those things into consideration. What layer height were the ABS body parts printed at?

Well, here's an example of one of the parts that didn't fit. This flat piece is supposed to fit over the two main halves of the gun and slide underneath a little part on the back. The piece was printed in ABS so if the gun did shrink in size (which was also ABS) wouldn't the piece be able to fit? It was hard to hold the part and the gun while taking a picture but I circled where the part is supposed to reach over the edge. I actually also didn't receive three parts that I ordered and two of them were useless altogether. The rest will be okay if I do some work to it but good lord not what I was expecting at all. You are right though, I should have just kept it all in resin and skipped the ABS.

IMG_9482.jpeg

As to the layer height I'm not sure, they never talked about that to me more so chatted about the materials. But had I known how much of a mess the ABS would have been I would have paid the $150 extra for the resin halves. Here's a corner on the gun that I've got to fix:

IMG_9481.jpeg

I'd never seen ABS in person before so I wasn't expecting it to look like that in various places, especially since I'd paid them extra to cleanup the model before shipping it. I suppose that I thought it would be similar to Shapeways prints but this is far from it.

Any here's a photo of the way the pump grip lines up with the slide. You can see that the top hole is way off from where it's supposed to screw together.

IMG_9477.jpeg

Sorry to hear you are not happy with it. I thought this was supposed to be cleaned up and smoothed out before you got it.?. This is one of the beefs I have with 3d printing...why does it printed at such a low resolution at the surface and then even worse at the core? Time is spent designing it to a certain size and then once printed you have to sand it so its not the right size. That issue with holes not lining up just amazes me. Its designed in 3d, printed in 3d and then they come out different sizes?

Sorry to hear you are not happy with it. I thought this was supposed to be cleaned up and smoothed out before you got it.?. This is one of the beefs I have with 3d printing...why does it printed at such a low resolution at the surface and then even worse at the core? Time is spent designing it to a certain size and then once printed you have to sand it so its not the right size. That issue with holes not lining up just amazes me. Its designed in 3d, printed in 3d and then they come out different sizes?

It's crucial to understand the model and material you are working with, to avoid misaligned parts. (One reason I never use ABS is the high risk of warping and shrinkage, another is the health hazard of the fumes.) The roughness of the prints seems to indicate they were either done on a very low-end machine or that the machine needs serious tuning. It also looks like the parts may have been printed at 200, or 250 microns. (I almost never print over 100 microns if the surface is going to take paint.)

Here's a 100 micron print done on a properly tuned machine.
mapguntest.jpg

Sometimes it's impossible to avoid small patches of roughness in some areas to benefit the overall quality of the model (like when you must print an extreme overhang). The center panel line in the image above for example is a little rough (as are the side vents but you can't really see it), due to it being printed in mid-air, but fixing that little roughness in post is preferable to splitting the model up more.

Ya man, that's some pretty nice printing work there bud! Nice work! Is that resin or some other material? I wish some of the props offered here on therpf looked like that. Most are just to rough and now I see the problem is people print at too low a resolution. I can see where printing a large quantity of parts you may want to sacrifice a little surface finish for speed but for low quantity runs and especially one offs there is no excuse for it. Personally I don't think abs should ever be an option after your post. Its a place were you have to put your foot down and say " do it right or not at all"

Ya man, that's some pretty nice printing work there bud! Nice work! Is that resin or some other material? I wish some of the props offered here on therpf looked like that. Most are just to rough and now I see the problem is people print at too low a resolution. I can see where printing a large quantity of parts you may want to sacrifice a little surface finish for speed but for low quantity runs and especially one offs there is no excuse for it. Personally I don't think abs should ever be an option after your post. Its a place were you have to put your foot down and say " do it right or not at all"

Thanks. :) The print is PLA, pretty standard plastic if you're not using ABS. I like it because it's stable, non-toxic and easy to glue with plexiglass cement. I've seen OK results with ABS too, I just don't like it personally. I also sometimes print in a "safe" kind of polyester... depends on the prop. Resolution is one factor, speed is another. Higher speed=more vibration=crappy surface, not to mention that you can have trouble with a more uneven flow of plastic. I suspect the MiB print is a combination of several factors. (The clear resin parts look good though!)

When you say resin, is this resin like casting resin or epoxy or laminating resin? What I mean is , casting resins seem to be a bit harder and sands pretty much like hard plastic where epoxy resins are a bit softer and clog sandpaper real quick.

When you say resin, is this resin like casting resin or epoxy or laminating resin? What I mean is , casting resins seem to be a bit harder and sands pretty much like hard plastic where epoxy resins are a bit softer and clog sandpaper real quick.

I'm assuming the clear resin parts of the rifle were done on a Formlabs printer (or similar) that uses UV lasers to print and cure parts, so not casting resin or epoxy at all! It's a one-part liquid, thick like maple syrup.

Ah so its UV cured resin. gotcha. Clear parts look good I was just curious how hard it is and how it would sand or even polish up with something like 0000 steel wool, scotchbright and 1500-3000 grit papers.

I did the 3d modeling for this Deatomizer, the hole missed align was because of the slider inner has a stopper point features. It's done by my mistake to update as the first scale of the whole gun long at 18" from the beginning setup and we changed it to 22" long during completion of the 3d modeling. I made changes to screw holes size on overall gun but just missed to update the slider inner features as well as causing the alignment issue, apologizes to Patrick really :(

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back