Baking or heating Rustoleum hammered spray paint ?

ERen89

I'm finishing up a project I am making for my bandmate, I'm making him a wood pedalboard. And the texture and paint color he chose to use from my stash of paints is a hammered rattle can of Rustoleum. Now I know this would not be considered a prop, but I'm wondering if you guys have used the technique of heating up this kind of paint? I was having trouble getting the exact texture I wanted ( it seemed to only give that nice webbed hammered texture in random patches )I'm not sure if I passed each spray too quickly so I'm going to try it again but I heard heating it may affect the texture and also hardens it nicely. I'm thinking of using my heat gun. Any tips for anyone that has used this technique?

I don't believe you will get the texture you want unless you seal the wood with a paint sealant. Otherwise the paint will just get absorbed into the wood. Depending on the wood you are using, you might have an issue with the wood grain showing through the paint. Try out the heat gun technique on a scrap piece of wood and see if you get the effect you want, otherwise you may create a gooey mess of the coating that will be hard to cover. Heat guns are usually used to strip paint, so you may get anywhere from the look you want, to an orange peel finish, wrinkling, or bubbling look.

TazMan2000

I'm using plywood and I already tested it on some scrap with a different color but same type of paint. Absorption wasn't a problem since I'm doing several coats

I use these paints quite a lot with plastics, and I've found they work best over the top of a dark hi-gloss undercoat to allow the paint to flow around and seperate more effectively.

Also, contrary to everything I've learned about achieving nice finishes, this stuff works better the more heavy-handed you are. In my experience, a single good thick coat will have a more mottled effect than several light ones.

I've never tried heating them, but then they seem to dry really quickly without any outside influences...

It should develop whatever pattern it's going to get pretty quickly. Within minutes. I don't think heating is the answer. Sounds like it's absorbing into the wood in some areas. These paints work better on metal and other hard surfaces. I would suggest more light coats to build up the paint film.

I don't see any pics. But wood and paint and heat not a good idea. Even covering the wood with a thin sheet of metal, then (lightly) ball peen hammering it may be best choice.

Effects pedals? Piano pedals? Torus Pedals?

my second attempt was a little bit better but still you can see some patches that didn't take the effect I wanted however it's not too much of a problem for this particular project because a lot of that surface will be covered with the Velcro strips anyways. Though everything everyone takes on as a project for the first time is always trial and error and that's how you learn . To answer your question JPH, it's for effect pedals

IMG_4665.JPGIMG_4710.JPGIMG_4711.JPG

Rustoleum hammered spray will react to sunlight. The pattern looks more wrinkled if you leave it in the sun while its still wet. For example, if part of the piece was in shadow you could see a line where the pattern suddenly changes. You may be after a wrinkle coat rather than hammered, especially for a pedal board. Hit up an automotive store and get a can of wrinkle black valve cover paint and try that.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back