Painting Question

Malibu139

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Not sure if this is the appropriate spot for this but I have had some great advice on painting in this section before so here goes.

I am working on wolverine claws. Getting them lazer cut in black acrylic. Obviously need to paint silver.
Will this plan be ok or does anyone know a better prep?

1. sand with 400
2. base with self etching primer
3. wet sand to 600
4. primer coat with black
5. topcoat with chrome/ silver.

I have seen videos where the silver is just painted on the acrylic with only a buff with sandpaper..... also would like to know if the above is overkill

Thanks for any help!

If you are trying to get a mirror/chrome effect, you will need to use gloss black. I always use at least 4 coats. Then, I use chrome spray paint with a hairdryer on high. It dries almost instantly. Do it on cardboard first, to understand how the overspray will affect your surface. Just my 2 cent

Patience is key. Waiting for the gloss to set is a fix it and forget it project.

If you are trying to get a mirror/chrome effect, you will need to use gloss black. I always use at least 4 coats. Then, I use chrome spray paint with a hairdryer on high. It dries almost instantly. Do it on cardboard first, to understand how the overspray will affect your surface. Just my 2 cent

Thank you. I have never heard the hair dryer approach, can you elaborate on the process?

On the black gloss, do you mean let it set up and cure before topcoat? if so how long?

I have always thought you coat the black gloss on , let it flash off for 20-30 min then top coat immediately?

I always give three hours undisturbed before I check tackiness with a piece of tissue. That is for each coat. Then, since it seems that gloss and chrome work opposite, I use a hair dryer on high heat and highest intensity at the area I am trying to chome. I keep the can at least 15 inches away from the target, and use very short bursts. I sometimes walk the chrome in to my heat.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw, I use tissue because I don't want the oils from my hand to degrade the gloss.

- - - Updated - - -

I will post a picture of the effect you can expect.

Attachments

• 1490895023728-1273828087.jpg
    1490895023728-1273828087.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 63
It pops a lot in person. You see your reflection at about 9 inches. But, it appears to be chrome from a distance. I haven't figured out how to seal it. I have had to do the same process three times trying to seal it.

The hardest part you will have is particles in your gloss. Apply gloss in a no traffic clean area. Preferably, high as hell. Don't get impatient and put it in a room with a fan. Just walk away from it. Chrome takes a long time to get right. No one gets it right the first time.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back