Ghost in the Shell (Post-release)

Well the anime has nothing to fear, it's a cookie-cutter action movie with most of the pretty pictures lifted directly from the anime.

Only three people appear to be able to act their way out of this mess, Pilou Asbaeck, Beat Takashi and Juliette Binoche.

Scarlett Johansson could have been a cardboard cutout, she tries to emulate the emotionless Major of the anime and fails (yes they explain a lot about the Major in the movie)

Watched it. Don't know the anime show. The movie was ok. Just wish now that I could have waited until DVD. But. Love Scarlet. So just had to support

I'm not one of those who feels obliged to give this film a failing grade because it isn't the Anime.

I enjoyed it very much, and appreciated that they took care to use so many visuals from the source material. It seemed like a sound live action representation of the 1995 OVA.

There were quite a few things added, which IMO made the story a bit easier to follow...perhaps a bit less esoteric.

I thought Scar Jo did a good job of portraying the Major. I don't at all agree that she "could have been a cardboard cutout".

Overall i thought it was done very well.

I'm not one of those who feels obliged to give this film a failing grade because it isn't the Anime.

I enjoyed it very much, and appreciated that they took care to use so many visuals from the source material. It seemed like a sound live action representation of the 1995 OVA.

There were quite a few things added, which IMO made the story a bit easier to follow...perhaps a bit less esoteric.

I thought Scar Jo did a good job of portraying the Major. I don't at all agree that she "could have been a cardboard cutout".

Overall i thought it was done very well.
I have never seen the anime, and no nothing about this movie aside from trailers. But if the Major is supposed to be a cyborg, isnt she supposed to be emotionless? Wouldnt the least amount of performance portray the character properly?

Yes...in fact I'd gathered that was what was informing Scar Jo's performance. Not only her somewhat flat delivery, but also her stiff movements. I thought it worked well, and honestly if any of us woke up in a synthetic body that we couldn't feel and only had a year to figure out bow to work it, i reckon the result would look very similar.

I geuss I will save my money then.. I really liked the original GITS. I really cant stand S.J. so was turned off at her being cast. I have been watching the trailers and Adam's WETA videos.... and was quietly surprised, and said wow.. this might be cool. but now im leaning way towards a simple rental. :unsure

I believe so.

There were several things added which in my opinion made the story easier to follow and some of the characters' motivations were clearer.

I think this would be a very good intro to GITS of you've not seen anything previously...dive right in! :)

Of course *some* will be of the opinion that "making the story easier to follow" and "making motivations clearer" and the like are to be considered 'dumbing down" the story. I don't believe that.

I fully appreciate highly cerebral material. But I can also appreciate when someone comes along and finds a way to distill something amazing down to a clear and compelling thought.

I believe so.

There were several things added which in my opinion made the story easier to follow and some of the characters' motivations were clearer.

I think this would be a very good intro to GITS of you've not seen anything previously...dive right in! :)

Of course *some* will be of the opinion that "making the story easier to follow" and "making motivations clearer" and the like are to be considered 'dumbing down" the story. I don't believe that.

I fully appreciate highly cerebral material. But I can also appreciate when someone comes along and finds a way to distill something amazing down to a clear and compelling thought.

Thanks. Im for anything distilled.

As a fan of the original films, and SAC...

Jeez, it had the basset hound and Togusa with a Mateba, what more do you want? :lol

Seriously, I thought it was an above average sci-fi thriller that looked absolutely beautiful, and did a lot of things right. One of those, however, was not ripping out the heart of the story and replacing it with the plot from Robocop!

Probably more digestible for non-fans (of GITS or Robocop...) but still well worth a look.

A bit boring in some areas. And people complaining about the Majors name are in for a surprise...

i thought it was above average.

I hated how how they used Aramaki...he was always the shot caller to me, nowhere near the front lines. Yet here he was sort of a badass...and I thought it was a eye roller when he asked Major if he had her consent...

loved that they kept the Spider scene including Major getting beast mode and ripping its armor off

Saw it today. Thought it was visually stunning, story was Ok. Will be picking it on blu-ray when it comes out.

One problem I had and it was with the theater. It was that the sceen they were showing the movie was a little to small because the bottom where the subtitles where was cut off.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

I've seen maybe an episode of the anime, and it was more than a few years ago.

I REALLY enjoyed the film. Mainly because I'm a huge cyberpunk fan, and there are so few movies that do it well. (Blade Runner to an extent. Johnny Mnemonic and Strange Days, well they tried...)

Just got home from the theater. I generally liked it, definitely wished we had seen more of the team actually operating as a team though, and expanding on their characters. I thought the story was a little meh, along with its pacing.

Overall I didn't hate it, but I see a lot more potential in it than they got out of it.

Got back from seeing it myself.

...Sigh. On a scale based on all of the GitS material that Iv'e seen (And that's essentially everything not counting the PS game) this movie is a 5 out of 10. An average outing of a franchise that has great potential. I think the film simplified and complicated a lot of GitS elements the wrong places. It just didn't feel right.

I do want to say one good thing about this particular take of GitS. Please understand that I am by no means saying that this is how his character should ever be handled from here on out, but seeing Aramaki be a (Can't believe I'm saying this) bada** was insanely satisfying. Again, I don't think this fits the character of Aramaki in general, but it worked perfectly with Takeshi Kitano. He sold it for me.

Beyond the whitewashing nonsense, the film has not gotten good word of mouth for it's overly simplistic revenge plot. They had some damn good writers working on the film, so I can only assume a producer must have been very intent on "mass audience" meaning "very simple plot, and we'll explain every single thing that happens, some times we'll explain it twice."

I was disappointed in the story, like many people, and the way they sort of shoehorned visuals and other elements from the anime into thier very simple storyline just felt awkward to me. I was not sure if they were trying to do an original take on the material while giving the fans some visual things to geek out over, or if they were just being lazy and using some of the more iconic moments from the anime so they didn't have to come up with anything of thier own. That was as odd thing to wonder about. By the end of the film, it was feeling a lot like the latter.

But visually speaking, the film was classic, well done cyberpunk. I was just so let down by the story being told that I didn't really get to enjoy the visuals as much as I should have.

The more I think about this movie it makes me sad to imagine what they could have done with it. I've started watching the "Stand Alone Complex" series after so wanting to like this movie and the 1995 movie, and I wish the new one had more of that material in its DNA. This "first of your kind" origin story plot was so flat, and I honestly would have liked to see a different actor as Major, irrespective of the race issue.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back