what's the best glue for fabric?

KilTheMaskedGuy

Hi everyone. For a cosplay I need to glue 2 parts of a zentai (spandex) and I dont sew. I know that hot glue is resistant but it could dry in weird shapes and melt if exposed to high temperature. I bought a supposedly strong (and expensive) fabric glue and it's as easy to rip as paper...:(

So I need your help to find the best glue for spandex...

It needs to:

-dry flexible
-be as strong as if it was sewn
-not be in spray

Thank you for any help! :)

I havnt found any decent glued for fabric that hold very well. Especially flexible ones.... Your best bet would be to learn to see it together and not cut corners as we have all down that before and it doesn't usually end up working well

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

There is no glue that is going to work as good as sewing. If there was, we'd just use that rather than sewing things together because it would be easier. Especially if this is a seam. If it's an applique you get a little more leeway. If it's a seam, just learn to sew it. There are plenty of tutorials on youtube. Use a zig zag stitch (even by hand) for stretch fabrics and you're golden.

There is no glue that is going to work as good as sewing. If there was, we'd just use that rather than sewing things together because it would be easier. Especially if this is a seam. If it's an applique you get a little more leeway. If it's a seam, just learn to sew it. There are plenty of tutorials on youtube. Use a zig zag stitch (even by hand) for stretch fabrics and you're golden.
but the thing is,I don't have a sewing machine. I just got a few needles

Sent from my SM-J7108 using Tapatalk

Ive literally sewn a whole spandex suit by hand before. Its VERY time consuming and VERY painstaking. Like I said your best bet is to invest in a sewing machine. Buy a good one. As you go, you'll get better and better and learn to do more projects. My sewing machine saved me tons of money in the end and I even make my own dress shirts and pants now! The investment is definitely worth the money

Ive literally sewn a whole spandex suit by hand before. Its VERY time consuming and VERY painstaking. Like I said your best bet is to invest in a sewing machine. Buy a good one. As you go, you'll get better and better and learn to do more projects. My sewing machine saved me tons of money in the end and I even make my own dress shirts and pants now! The investment is definitely worth the money

thx,I think my grandma has a sewing machine .

Sent from my SM-J7108 using Tapatalk

anyone tried this? maybe? I heard leather glue works well for fabric...
Gorilla-Super-Glue-Gel-15g-(in-package).png

Super glue dries too brittle, and when it breaks it breaks the fibers of the fabric as well.

You might have luck with some really potent spray adhesive, like 3M 38808 for headliners. The caveat is that it's going to be harder to control where it goes. You'd really have to mask off the areas you don't want it to go. The other thing with gluing a stretchy fabric is that you'll be gluing the fibers together so it won't stretch anymore.

Whatever you do, do test pieces first.

-Rog

Try something called Shoe Goo. It's a very thick gel, and when it cures it's a durable rubber. I know someone who coated the bottom of a worn-out pair of shoes with it, let it cure for several days (this was a layer almost a quarter inch thick!) and then used them as the new soles of his shoes for a couple months. It's pretty tough and flexible. Available at hardware stores for like $4 a tube. Let it cure somewhere with really good ventilation for 24 hours (it smells awful).

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back