Set Build Help

Nifty Noggin

Not sure this is a proper place to post this (Hello by the way :) ), But I've finally decided to do something with my interest in film making and I've started work on a web series. My main issue at the moment is most of the series takes place in the back of a van. I don't have access to a van, and after considering the necessary set dressing and needed ability to control lighting it may be better in the long run to construct a set than to rent and/ or buy an entire van. I'm attaching a quick sketch for an idea I had to this post. This is the first time I've built anything like this so I'm looking for feed back on how practical this idea actually is plus possible improvement on the current design. Also if you have a different idea entirely please feel free to chime in with that as well.
This is just a quick sketch so I didn't draw out the necessary exterior supports for the flats, but basically what I'm thinking is constructing a rectangular box with one of the the long walls removed in order for the camera to look in. I'd fit curved plastic (I'm sure that's not the exact material I'm thinking of, but I'm new to technical terms) in the interior to better give it more of a curved van shape. Under the main van area I'd put heavy duty springs at each corner, and some heavy foam in the center to give it more of that shifting van feel when someone steps onto the set. (The camera platform portion would be on a sturdier platform.
That's pretty much what I'm thinking so far any suggestions? (Also any tips on other websites, or forums where I may get good feedback would be great. I posted this thread on Tested.com as well.) SetSketch.PNG

SetSketch.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
Great idea to build a set. You will have a lot more control over camera angles and lights that way.

I suggest collecting a number of pictures of van interiors to help guide your design form. Also, consider building a full enclosure though since you'll likely want to shoot reverse angles or looking down the van's interior. Only building one wall limits your camera angles. Although the walls should separate so you can shoot from either side.

What kind of van is this? Passenger van? Hauling van? The interiors are obviously different.

If it were me and I was on a budget I might get more out of multiple sides than a spring floor (which is cool...but you may get more out of camera reverses.)

Last thought...check your local junkyards because you might. E able to acquire things like van pieces, chairs, etc for dirt cheap.

One more idea...if the van is supposed to have a sliding door that opens you can rig up a lighting effect that, together with sound effects could approximate the door opening/closing.

Ultimately finding access to a van for exterior shots will help sell the illusion of course.

Good luck and post how it goes!!

If you've the space for a van, I would suggest you get one. For what you'd spend building a replica (however that would be a uniquely fun project) you undoubtedly would be able to get one for your purpose. A non-running, or even partial van (accident salvage) ought to be found anywhere between free and probably $3/400 US depending on issues. Craigslist, junkyards, or anywhere else you can get the word out. (even leaving notes on broken-down vehicles on the side of the road...) I've often seen functional ones locally for ~1000.

Once you have one, they're rather easy to modify for lights, sound, etc... taking windows out, cutting holes, gluing dampening foam, and worst case if space becomes an issue, just cut out the section/s you need and rebuild inside.

I gotta agree with Glitch on this. I think you'd be better off buying a non-functional van. Hell, if you still wanted to make a set out of it, a reciprocating saw will be your best friend. Just cut off the parts of the van you want, and sell the rest for scrap. It'll be a lot cheaper in the long run and the set will look real because it is real.

Hmm...can't say I disagree at all with getting a scrap van and splitting it. If you price out build materials vs a junker is have to agree that you can't go wrong that way.

Thanks for the responses! My initial thought was to get a junker van and just redress the inside, but unfortunately the parking space where I live is incredibly limited, so room for a van is a bit of an issue. I also thought to just marathon shoot the whole series and borrow a van, but set dressing becomes more restricted with this idea still doable, but not entirely ideal.
My main reason for thinking a set would be better is the control (as far as lighting, set design etc.) and storeability of it. Ideally it would be built to be collapsed and stored during long breaks in shooting. (Plus I have to admit I'm drawn to the challenge of it :) )
For those asking the type of van I was thinking a cargo van int. .
I like the idea Miker had about building the two halves.

If you're looking for something collapsible I don't know that there would be any option for shooting front to back or back to front. A cargo area from drivers-side to passengers-side view with the sliding door behind you would be rather plausible however the door frame and door will be very heavy. Likely based on camera placement you wouldn't see the floor and consequently would only need ~6-8" of the bottom door-frame to keep the mechanism intact if you wanted the door to function.

If looking for such specific and limited parts, definitely check out junk yards. They'll probably be happy to sell you the requisite segments, would guess ~$200 and you do the cutting. If you go this route, as mentioned by Halkenguard reciprocating saws work great for details and if you have a lot of time you could use it to segment the panels you wanted off a junker (you will likely want one for your personal mods regardless of building or buying).

However something as substantial as taking out large body segments, especially cutting through floor/corners/edges look into renting a demolition saw. Gas powered, ~1' cutting disk. If you're familiar with the older UK episodes of TopGear, it's what Clarkson is always using on substantial car mods because of it's speed and power. Consequently be very careful or see if a friend who's used one might give you a hand, demo saws will easily make drastic life altering changes in an instant, and you'll probably want a friend to help you out anyhow, van body parts are heavy and awkward. (Note, windows aren't necessary and especially if you're using it just as a set, will be easier to control direct lighting without controlling for reflected light also).

Seams can be hidden with fake structural members or other van ephemera if you have it in multiple parts for moving/storage.

Update

I built a paper model to wrap my head around the space. And you guys are right. Borrowing a van would be better (Cue the well deserved "I told you so") I'm thinking of just renting one from UHaul and marathoning the scenes in the van. The series and episodes are pretty short anyway. Now my concern is set dressing. The back of the van needs to have an 'attempted' high tech look. Like think back of a surveillance van, but home made. I'm picturing a desk and some monitors and a red light. The monitors I'm not too worried about. But I'm wondering if you guys had any ideas on where to find a cheap desk that looks like its built into the space while still being an easily removable fixture. The red light is another problem on it's own. It's an important plot point. I was picturing it poking out from the wall, but now I'm thinking a hanging fixture might be better. I'm not much of an electrician yet so simple is better. Do you know of any plain hanging fixtures that hold a single lightbulb and can be hooked into an extension cord, or something similiar?

How home made do you want it to look? If it fits with your design aesthetic, you could hang a trouble light from the ceiling and put a red bulb in it.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back