FO4 Pip-Boy screen replacement & repaint!

Props N at

Hey everyone! This one's gonna be a pretty short post, but I thought some of you might like to see the results!

So I finally got around to doing a repaint of my Pip-Boy, and, more importantly, replacing the lame card they give you that acts as the screen!

tumblr_ong4zwfRCS1sbh3e9o5_1280.jpg

While I love the idea of being able to put a phone in the Pip-Boy and loading the app, in practice its not the best. When the app is running it looks nice, but you can’t use your phone, and it kills battery pretty fast. Plus, its mostly a display piece, so it sits on a shelf, and I'm not gonna leave a running phone in there! They give you a printed card to put in the opening when there’s no phone in it, but it just looks silly.
So I decided to make my own! I didn’t want to shove a flat piece of acrylic in there, because the Pip-Boy is supposed to have a CRT screen, so there’s a curve to it. I made a vacuum buck out of MDF and smoothed it with a layer of urethane. Then I sanded it down just a hair under the size of the opening to allow of thickness of the plastic.

tumblr_ong4zwfRCS1sbh3e9o1_1280.jpg tumblr_ong4zwfRCS1sbh3e9o3_1280.jpg
The shop I work at doesn’t have a vacuum former, but the part was small enough that I was able to build a vacuum box and heat the acrylic it the shop’s toaster oven. (Not the one we eat out of!)

tumblr_ong4zwfRCS1sbh3e9o9_1280.jpgtumblr_ong4zwfRCS1sbh3e9o8_1280.jpg
tumblr_ong4zwfRCS1sbh3e9o7_1280.jpgtumblr_ong4zwfRCS1sbh3e9o6_1280.jpg

After it was formed, I back painted it with some black, and cut it to size. I do want to be able to remove the screen, just in case I ever want to put my phone it for some reason, so I used some double stick foam tape to secure it in place. The corner of the screen, between the lip and the short side wall, has just a little more roundness than I would like, so the lip doesn't sit perfectly flat against the screen's frame, but the foam tape easily filled the gap! I could've got it sharper by drilling more small holes in the corner, and doing another pull, but this screen looked so nice otherwise, it seemed like a waste.

IMG_20170326_132623.jpg

While the model was always very nice, especially considering the price, the finish was terrible. The thing always looked like a hunk of molded plastic.

Instead of doing a full repaint, I disassembled the Pip-Boy, and sprayed it with a satin clear coat to change the sheen. Then, I reassembled it and aged it down with a few different washes. Finally, I added some rust spots with some acrylic paint. Admittedly, the rust could be a bit nicer, but from any sort of distance it looks pretty good.

tumblr_ong4zwfRCS1sbh3e9o4_1280.jpgtumblr_ong4zwfRCS1sbh3e9o2_1280.jpg

I'm not gonna do a ton of pictures of the paint process, because I'm far from the first to do this, but I did figure you guys would like to see how I tackled the screen.
That’s it for now! If anyone is interested in getting a screen for the own Pip-boy, I may do a short run of these. Feel free to PM me about it!

tumblr_ong4zwfRCS1sbh3e9o5_1280.jpg

tumblr_ong4zwfRCS1sbh3e9o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ong4zwfRCS1sbh3e9o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_ong4zwfRCS1sbh3e9o9_1280.jpg

tumblr_ong4zwfRCS1sbh3e9o8_1280.jpg

tumblr_ong4zwfRCS1sbh3e9o7_1280.jpg

tumblr_ong4zwfRCS1sbh3e9o6_1280.jpg

IMG_20170326_132623.jpg

tumblr_ong4zwfRCS1sbh3e9o4_1280.jpg

tumblr_ong4zwfRCS1sbh3e9o2_1280.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Screen looks great, and from the pictures, so does the paintwork.

I'm going to have to work on mine when I find some time.

That looks great.

If you want a static image on the screen you could back paint the black like you have, and then laser-etch it from the back. Then you paint it again with a green color.
I did this all the time to create colored graphics on the back of acrylic. If done right you can even backlight the green.

that turned out really cool but I think I might've left it clear and put a black card or something behind it so you could still use it when you use the phone and keep the curved screen

This is really neat and I'd love to have one of these for my Pip-Boy! Sorry for reviving an older thread but if a noob like me wanted to produce one of these what would I want to do? I see that I'd have to make a vacuum form box but I'm not so sure how you got that curve when the buck was flat? (I don't know much about vacuum forming)

Hey everyone! This one's gonna be a pretty short post, but I thought some of you might like to see the results!

So I finally got around to doing a repaint of my Pip-Boy, and, more importantly, replacing the lame card they give you that acts as the screen!

View attachment 717102

While I love the idea of being able to put a phone in the Pip-Boy and loading the app, in practice its not the best. When the app is running it looks nice, but you can’t use your phone, and it kills battery pretty fast. Plus, its mostly a display piece, so it sits on a shelf, and I'm not gonna leave a running phone in there! They give you a printed card to put in the opening when there’s no phone in it, but it just looks silly.
So I decided to make my own! I didn’t want to shove a flat piece of acrylic in there, because the Pip-Boy is supposed to have a CRT screen, so there’s a curve to it. I made a vacuum buck out of MDF and smoothed it with a layer of urethane. Then I sanded it down just a hair under the size of the opening to allow of thickness of the plastic.

View attachment 717103 View attachment 717104
The shop I work at doesn’t have a vacuum former, but the part was small enough that I was able to build a vacuum box and heat the acrylic it the shop’s toaster oven. (Not the one we eat out of!)

View attachment 717105View attachment 717106
View attachment 717107View attachment 717108

After it was formed, I back painted it with some black, and cut it to size. I do want to be able to remove the screen, just in case I ever want to put my phone it for some reason, so I used some double stick foam tape to secure it in place. The corner of the screen, between the lip and the short side wall, has just a little more roundness than I would like, so the lip doesn't sit perfectly flat against the screen's frame, but the foam tape easily filled the gap! I could've got it sharper by drilling more small holes in the corner, and doing another pull, but this screen looked so nice otherwise, it seemed like a waste.

View attachment 717109

While the model was always very nice, especially considering the price, the finish was terrible. The thing always looked like a hunk of molded plastic.

Instead of doing a full repaint, I disassembled the Pip-Boy, and sprayed it with a satin clear coat to change the sheen. Then, I reassembled it and aged it down with a few different washes. Finally, I added some rust spots with some acrylic paint. Admittedly, the rust could be a bit nicer, but from any sort of distance it looks pretty good.

View attachment 717110View attachment 717111

I'm not gonna do a ton of pictures of the paint process, because I'm far from the first to do this, but I did figure you guys would like to see how I tackled the screen.
That’s it for now! If anyone is interested in getting a screen for the own Pip-boy, I may do a short run of these. Feel free to PM me about it!

View attachment 717102

View attachment 717103

View attachment 717104

View attachment 717105

View attachment 717106

View attachment 717107

View attachment 717108

View attachment 717109

View attachment 717110

View attachment 717111

View attachment 717102

View attachment 717103 View attachment 717104

View attachment 717105View attachment 717106
View attachment 717107View attachment 717108

View attachment 717109

View attachment 717110View attachment 717111

View attachment 717102

View attachment 717103

View attachment 717104

View attachment 717105

View attachment 717106

View attachment 717107

View attachment 717108

View attachment 717109

View attachment 717110

View attachment 717111

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back