Official V3 Nike MAG Replica Thread - V3 Discussion Thread

I have never used the stuff, so I really know next to nothing about it. I've done research on it to learn how it works and discovered it is a UV light reactive bleaching agent. So my concern now is, will there be lightening of the fabric in the parts where the SeaGlow has touched?

Is there anything on the instructions about clean up? Maybe you might have to run with a spirit to clean this up. If that is the case, then you run the risk of other reactions. Although I used acetone to clean all my white parts on my V2s including the elastic laces without issue.
No I couldn't find any specific instructions to remove it. Luckily these v3s I was cleaning up were pretty ruff. But anyone that uses Sea glow on there v3s needs to be very careful. Where it touched the fabric it actually separated the fabric from the underpart. So you can pick up the thin piece of fabric. I hope the dry cleaner can clean them up a little.

No I couldn't find any specific instructions to remove it. Luckily these v3s I was cleaning up were pretty ruff. But anyone that uses Sea glow on there v3s needs to be very careful. Where it touched the fabric it actually separated the fabric from the underpart. So you can pick up the thin piece of fabric. I hope the dry cleaner can clean them up a little.

My wear pair has similar separations happening. In my case, I'd say it is simply due to the fabric being moved beyond the limits of the foam and it has let go.

I have been on a mission to try and lighten my yellow soles. I Bought a bottle of Seaglow and taped up my soles. I applied it and then left the shoes under a uv light for just one hour before realizing I had to go out and didn't want to leave them alone. I tried to remove the Seaglow from the soles but the seaglow will not come off. The product is still very visible under UV light. This is no the worst part. I was in a rush tapping and applying causing Seaglow to get on the fabric. This has left a permanent stain that I have scrubbed but still wont come out. Do you think dry cleaning would remove it?. Any other ideas?

When applying seaglow to my mags I covered them with a plastic bag, cut out the bottom of the plastic bag around the midsoles then tapped off the midsole to the plastic bag to try and stop and excess getting onto the fabric. You should use seaglow sparingly and try not to overdo it in a single session. If you see any drips or excess you should wipe it away instantly with a damp cloth or paper towel. Once I have applied seaglow to the soles I always wrap them in cling wrap (you may call it celo/saran wrap or similar) to ensure the seaglow does not dry out on the soles. Once your shoes have been under the lamp or sunlight remove by washing with water and drying with a clean cloth or paper towel. If the seaglow has dried you just need to reapply some more seaglow to reactivate the product. Once this happens you should easily be able to remove it with some water. You need to be careful with this stuff and take your time.

When I was cleaning off my soles I didnt manage to get a drip of seaglow on my mags which I wiped off straight away with a damp cloth. I noticed as it was drying the spot was still noticable compared to the water from the cloth so I used some gel cleaner to remove the stain. Wasnt a big strain but noticable enough for me. Even after doing this you can still just see the mark but you would have to know it was there otherwise you probably wouldnt see it at all.

I have some instructions for seaglow and sneakers and can PM you a copy if you like if you didnt receive this with your seaglow.

When applying seaglow to my mags I covered them with a plastic bag, cut out the bottom of the plastic bag around the midsoles then tapped off the midsole to the plastic bag to try and stop and excess getting onto the fabric. You should use seaglow sparingly and try not to overdo it in a single session. If you see any drips or excess you should wipe it away instantly with a damp cloth or paper towel. Once I have applied seaglow to the soles I always wrap them in cling wrap (you may call it celo wrap or similar) to ensure the seaglow does not dry out on the soles. Once your shoes have been under the lamp or sunlight remove by washing with water and drying with a clean cloth or paper towel. If the seaglow has dried you just need to reapply some more seaglow to reactivate the product. Once this happens you should easily be able to remove it with some water. You need to be careful with this stuff and take your time.

When I was cleaning off my soles I didnt manage to get a drip of seaglow on my mags which I wiped off straight away with a damp cloth. I noticed as it was drying the spot was still noticable compared to the water from the cloth so I used some gel cleaner to remove the stain. Wasnt a big strain but noticable enough for me. Even after doing this you can still just see the mark but you would have to know it was there otherwise you probably wouldnt see it at all.

I have some instructions for seaglow and sneakers and can PM you a copy if you like if you didnt receive this with your seaglow.

I wish I would of know this before hand but that is what I get for rushing. I didn't receive any instructions so that would be great if you could pm them to me. I am gonna try dry cleaning as my electronics are broken anyway and the spot on my shoe is very large. I will let you know how it goes.

When applying seaglow to my mags I covered them with a plastic bag, cut out the bottom of the plastic bag around the midsoles then tapped off the midsole to the plastic bag to try and stop and excess getting onto the fabric.

Sounds like how I had to treat my shoes when taking a silicone mold of the soles. If that stuff touched the fabric, it would be all over. Good old cling wrap and tape and then a plastic bag over all that.

I wish I would of know this before hand but that is what I get for rushing. I didn't receive any instructions so that would be great if you could pm them to me. I am gonna try dry cleaning as my electronics are broken anyway and the spot on my shoe is very large. I will let you know how it goes.

No problems, I will scan the instructions I received and message them to you a bit later on. I will warn you though that even the instructions dont tell you to wrap your soles up after applying or to cover your kicks with a plastic bag, these are things that have been discovered by many tried and tested methods by sneaker heads. It will be better than having nothing though and have some other hints I havent mentioned like avoiding glued seams etc

Sounds like how I had to treat my shoes when taking a silicone mold of the soles. If that stuff touched the fabric, it would be all over. Good old cling wrap and tape and then a plastic bag over all that.

Yeah unfortunately seaglow isnt too kind to other materials but understandably so as it was originally designed for marine use such as plastics and clear surfaces that had yellowed/weathered on your boat (hence the name). It's just much easier to be safe then sorry when using this stuff.

Over the weekend I've been using it to restore some soles on 2 pairs of old jordans I have. I can post some pictures of the results here if anyone is interested but it wouldnt be directly V3 related, though I have got pretty impressive results on one pair that had some major yellowing but still some ways to go unitl I'm happy with them. Even on one of these pairs I got some one the patent leather and it was a rush job to clean it off before it really did some damage!

Post away. As I see this, it is documented results of what it can do. Given we all want non yellow soles, it is on topic. Just put something MAG3 in your post and all good.

In fact, if you PM me those instructions, I will paste them into post #2.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Okay, this is a pair of Jordan XI's I've applied sea glow to over the weekend. Your V3's may not be this yellow yet, but they say prevention is better than cure. There's nothing wrong with applying the product when the soles of your V3's start getting a yellow tint to them. Firstly clean your soles. You can just use any sneaker cleaner found at your local sporting stores or sneaker outlets. Once they have been cleaned ensure you dry the soles with a clean cloth or paper towels. Best to wait until they are completely dry before applying the product. I apply the sea glow by tipping some into a small container and using cotton buds to dab the product all over the soles and concentrating on the most yellowed part of the soles. For stubborn yellowing I also used a light scouring pad to work the product into the sole. Wipe off any drips or excess straight away with a clean damp cloth especially around glue seams, painted or other materials on your shoes (if not confident, and probably recommended cover the rest of the shoe before applying the product). Then wrap the soles in cling wrap to prevent the product drying on the soles. Set them under a UV lamp or in sunlight. The key thing to remember here is light is your friend, heat isn't so a nice and sunny but not hot day will give you best results or if using a lamp try not to place them too close to the lamp itself. Only leave them under the light for no more than 1 to 1 1/2 hours at a time. Once time is up remove the cling wrap and wash with water, I also use a soft brush to help remove the product when I'm cleaning the soles. Dry with a clean dry cloth or paper towels. If the product has dried on the soles apply a small amount to reactivate the product and wash again. Leave your shoes to dry completely before applying another coat. I would not recommend doing anymore than 2-3 sessions a day. Below are pictures of the sneakers I worked on over the weekend. The pictures show 3 coats in between pictures. This product is great but ALWAYS apply patience.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

As you can see, a great improvement from the first picture with yellow/uncleaned soles through each stage which I applied the product for 1 hours sessions. There are 3 sessions altogether in between each picture so 9 coats altogether. A couple more sessions and I think they will be where I want them to be.

N.B. Different methods are used to mix this product with dye to get the blue tint people are looking for. This method is to help restore the soles only, not tint them.

Good post and that is an awesome result.

The only thing to bear in mind is that products like NIKE/Jordan do actually come out with a clear part from the factory, so you should be able to go back to clear. These V3 soles are actually slightly amber from the start, so I seriously doubt we will ever get these to be water clear.

Cool. I should give that stuff a try one day. As well as multiple varieties of MAGs (the HC's have the yellowest soles) I have quite a few Jordans with some clear on the sole, like the 5s and 6's.

I'm too scared to seaglow Jordan 11s as the carbon fiber separates pretty quickly from the rubber thank god the mags don't do that. What did u use to keep it from separating?

cavx I don't believe these soles are amber to start with. I believe these are being stored in unprotected areas with direct sunlight and exposed for long periods as they're being constructed, packaged and ready to ship.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm too scared to seaglow Jordan 11s as the carbon fiber separates pretty quickly from the rubber thank god the mags don't do that. What did u use to keep it from separating?

As in my post, I only run hour sessions, wipe away excess and drips from glue seams straight away, I do this on sunny but not hot days to avoid too much heat and (the only thing I haven't mentioned) I wet a tissue and place it over the exposed part of the carbon fibre plate so it soaks up any over run and help keep the carbon fibre cool.

I agree it's a bit scary at first when you hear the horror stories but I never overdo it and just be patient. If people can be patient with their V3's too there shouldn't be too many problems

@cavx I don't believe these soles are amber to start with. I believe these are being stored in unprotected areas with direct sunlight and exposed for long periods as they're being constructed, packaged and ready to ship.

I doubt that they are stored in direct sunlight. Thrown into a big box for shipment to the next factory, for sure.

You would find there are a few factories involved here and one just makes the outer soles. Another would make mid-soles etc. I found a few videos where they make shoe soles and there are some pretty complex tools. The molds themselves are machined alloy. They reach full vacuum in less than a second for degassing and they also bake each sole after they are done for "post curing". Yet the initial PU rubber mix is still 2 parts. Some were injected from massive A B tubes, other mixed in a cup and poured by hand.

Everything, even hand made stuff was on a conveyer system and they just moved each part to the next station were a new operator did the next step.

I'm sure they are not stored in darkness or UV protected areas.

I would suggest they are not either. The videos never show demolding. There is a difference to the amount of UV exposure under artificial lights to that of direct sun and all these soles have a degree of yellow to them, so why I say that they are not clear to start with.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back