Official V3 Nike MAG Replica Thread - V3 Discussion Thread

If anyone's using the Re-Align that Cavx suggested on your V3's, don't be impatient and put on a thick coat, it seems to leave a light coloured residue. I tried to do it all in one go on a pair of my V2's. Luckily, it can be brushed off, but it seems multiple thin coats and waiting for it to dry in is the best way to go (regardless of your partner's complaints about the smell) :D

Really?

I hit my display pair which had not been done in the video and gave it a good wet coat. It dried perfectly.

When I did my wear pair I did mist coats and they didn't seem to do anything special so I gave it the wet coat which I show in my video. Yes it does have a smell, but I have NOT noticed it leaving a residue.

Interesting that you said it rubs off. I do wonder how long it lasts before a repeat spray coat is required?

For those that need to replace their's chargers, these might be of interest. Just be sure to get the 2amp version unless you want to be able to leave your shoes on charge all night.
b7efcb5b8234483880f41263c7430f26.jpg
1ae83ff0be235fe0b669974120378b6b.jpg

ab951c791bfac649054716450094b265.jpg

I hit my display pair which had not been done in the video and gave it a good wet coat. It dried perfectly.
When I did my wear pair I did mist coats and they didn't seem to do anything special so I gave it the wet coat which I show in my video. Yes it does have a smell, but I have NOT noticed it leaving a residue.
Interesting that you said it rubs off. I do wonder how long it lasts before a repeat spray coat is required?

The V3's never showed any residue when I gave them a few thin coats or from the thicker coats I did on my 2nd pair. The residue was on the V2's where I sprayed even more than that. Perhaps I found the point where it was too much. Maybe because the V2 upper is a different material? It was only the residue that brushed off, maybe just because it couldn't soak into the material. If I do it again (maybe on the V2.8's when they arrive) I'll take photos to show the effect.
Hopefully the coating that soaked into the material will last a while and not need recoating particularly soon.

Please document this. I showed a good side but if there is a bad, it needs to be shown as well.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

overlay2.jpg
The shape is a little off. I over laid the template with Jedifyfe youtube video on photoshop and you can see it. I am gonna see if I can make a template later tonight but I am not sure mine will be any better. But my electronics are completely shot and rather than buying the replacement boards and ELs that will break again I am gonna try and make them like everyone did for the V2s.

Attachments

• overlay.jpg
    overlay.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
View attachment 725494
The shape is a little off. I over laid the template with Jedifyfe youtube video on photoshop and you can see it. I am gonna see if I can make a template later tonight but I am not sure mine will be any better. But my electronics are completely shot and rather than buying the replacement boards and ELs that will break again I am gonna try and make them like everyone did for the V2s.

I am actually thinking of going back further to something I did in V1 days where I used a blue reflective 3M tape. Running tests, I think white is a better choice as it stays white when not light up (similar to the actual EL panel). And when it does catch the light, it is super bright. Because the light is passing through the blue tint of the sole, it won't just be white. The challenge them comes to matching the strap.

The challenge will be bonding the NIKE strap logo to it. I might run a test using some clear polyurethane as the bonding agent.

Has anyone ordered the improved V3 and did a durability test by wearing them extensively. EL still too fragile?

AFAIK, all they did to improve the EL was to tape the wires to the back of the panel. If your wires break like mine did, this tape does nothing.

I plan on owning real pair one day!

Given NIKE doesn't actually make them anymore, you will be buying a pair of shoes that are now coming onto 8 years old and you will be paying $4500+ for them. If you are that keen, awesome. For everyone else, these V3s tick all the boxes.

cavx Here's a scan and template from when I sent off to have panels made. This is a original panel I used from a size 10.5 so I could get the shape correct. Your 130mm over all length is pretty spot on for this size range.

Attachments

• panelscan.png
    panelscan.png
    3 MB · Views: 203
  • paneltemplate.png
    paneltemplate.png
    33.4 KB · Views: 130
Last edited by a moderator:
remember that it;s not just about the shape of the EL panels but also about the voltage. You can have the most accurate size panels but if the color isn't right, no one cares...

True MAG fans want to see CYAN EL. Joe Average does not know or care and thinks blue LEDs look awesome.

Thanks WizardBTTF this is now scaled to be about 132mm.
6f53f5a5494f8e10b073c314e43fa2df.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 6f53f5a5494f8e10b073c314e43fa2df.jpg
    6f53f5a5494f8e10b073c314e43fa2df.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 164
Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back