Need help identifying this Highlander Sword...is this a Marto?

xtremevette

Hi all. So I have never seen a highlander sword like this. I looked all over ebay and the web. Nada..is this a custom engraved Marto?

Any help kindly appreciated. Trying to figure out what its worth. Also how can I tell the metal? Like hand forged, carbon, or stainless?

Jeff IMAG0586_1.jpgIMAG0590_1.jpgResized_IMAG0587_1.jpg

I personally know very little about the original prop or its origins, so I can't help you as far as determining what this is. I do however know a lot about metal forging and sword collecting, so I can help you determine what it's made of and if it's hand forged.

There are a couple steps you can take to determine the material. I usually start by seeing if it's magnetic, a lot of cheap knock offs sometimes use cheaper grades of stainless that aren't magnetic. I have never found a carbon steel that isn't magnetic, it may exist but I've never heard of it. If it is magnetic I then try to find an inconspicuous place on the sword, preferably under the hilt, and use a small cotton swab and water to wet a small section and then wait for it to rust over a couple days, you may need to reapply a handful of times. You can also use certain acid solutions if you are pressed for time. Some people hate this method because it rusts the sword, but if youre careful you can use a household rust remover to clean it. This two step process has been about 90% effective for me, keep in mind nothing is perfect. You can also have the sword sent off and professionally material tested, just be prepared to spend some money. Thats pretty much all you can do as far as testing what it's made out of.

As far as figuring out if it's hand forged, you can usually tell by looking up the blade at a 45 degree angle, in a well lit room, and looking for hammer marks. I'll post a picture of hammer marks on one of my swords in a second.

Hope this helps!

I will also say that from the pictures you posted, and I'm not always right, it looks stainless. The hamon is extremely uniform and I see very little variants in the color and shine of the finish. These are only yellow flags because with the right machines it can be done with carbon steels, just a heads up.

Alright, taking a photo of hammer marks is apparently not possible and I can't seem to find any pictures of them online. But, essentially what your looking for are what appear to be very shallow dents along the flats of the blade that swirl the light a bit. They often appear in a line around fullers and spines where it's hard to grind them out. Best of luck!

That handle is from the Marto Ivory Katana...
http://ed.toton.org/weapons/ivory-katana.html

The blade looks like it's from a Japanese souvenir replica sword (called Mogito). I've got a similar blade on one at home (i'll take a picture tonight for you)

If it's a Japanese-made souvenir blade, it's a sand-cast aluminum blade, chrome-plated. You can't sell steel blade swords in Japan unless they are 'works of art'.

Thanks,
jason

ok thanks. Iam not so sure that the handle is the Marto Ivory unless they did different versions. I must say though Iam leaning to it being at least a Marto or a United Cutlery...the collar, tusba and handle look that way to me anyways. I don't see any "red dot gem" so I don't believe its a cheapo sword. I have attached more pictures that I received on it. Any idea what its worth?

00808_iFUhxqwSadP_1200x900.jpg00q0q_baNEzONLecw_1200x900.jpg00w0w_flkBUWYiDxv_1200x900.jpg00404_g5fOFzQKUlu_1200x900.jpg

Last edited:
here's a pic of my Japanese mogito blade. Engraving looks pretty much the same to me.

Thanks,
jason

Attachments

• IMG_2620.JPG
    IMG_2620.JPG
    652.3 KB · Views: 190
Its a Duncan McCloud version, Does it have a UC number near the tsuba or the blade throat?

If its missing the UC number then it isn't United cutlery.
IMG_0477_2.jpg
If it has this creast the it is a Legands of Steal sword.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back