WIP - BSG S-01 Blaster (1st Prop) and Scratch-built Holster!!!

Re: WIP - BSG S-01 Blaster and Scratch-built Holster!!!

Nice looking kit except for those awful gaps.
JB weld is good stuff you can sand and machine it well. I used it to make a extend a regular 1:18 scale jeep into a long wheel base.

With your holsters going over a metal cold cast. I'd give a heat gun and black sheet styrene a try for your holsters.

The plastic should wrap nicely and you won't melt your pistol. Which would happen to my nerf blaster.

Thanks for the tip Fly4v. As soon as I work out the switches and battery for the sound circuit and seal/putty the kit I'm back to work on the holster.

Quick Update. Well after thinking long and hard on the specifics of internal wiring vs my hope to "soon" move onto the holster I've decided to forgo sound and glue the two halves of this kit together. Here are some pictures;

photo 1 (5).JPG

Now I really didn't like how the upper muzzle was looking in the piece so I widened the opening a bit to insert a tube that the metal muzzle that came with the kit will fit in to. The new opening and parts are below;

photo (17).JPGphoto 2 (5).JPG

Now the real fun starts; puttying the gaps and fully blending the new upper muzzle pieces into kit. Mine you I might do the same thing to the lower Grenade Muzzle, (but with just the larger piece of Plastic tubing. More to Come!!!

Last edited:

Minor Update today folks. The seams on the Blaster have been puttied and has been set aside to dry;

photo 5.JPGphoto 4 (1).JPGphoto 3 (2).JPGphoto 2 (7).JPGphoto 1 (6).JPG

I'm using Epoxy Sculpt and by tomorrow or late tonight this stuff is going to be as hard as a rock and ready for sanding. Now that I have sealed the piece I'm wondering if I want to build it as intended; as the Season - 1 Blaster or make it a smoothie so to speak and go for the Miniseries Version below;

Battlestar-Galactica-BSG-Blaster-Mini-series-version-1.jpg

. This of course will mean filling in the rear grill detail as well as the recesses on either side where the switches go but the putty will work wonders here. Oh well the decision can wait a bit until I see what I have after sanding.

More to Come!!!

Last edited:

Some progress shots from last night. I've gotten a lot of rough sanding work done and I wanted to see what the new muzzles looked like with the metal and plastic tubes inserted;

photo barrel rotate.jpg

The major gaps filled in well and its a big difference over what I started with;

photo 2.JPG

A lot more work to do but I'm happy with the progress. More to Come!!

photo barrel rotate.jpg

photo 2.JPG

Some progress shots from last night. I've gotten a lot of rough sanding work done and I wanted to see what the new muzzles looked like with the metal and plastic tubes inserted;

View attachment 721432

The major gaps filled in well and its a big difference over what I started with;

View attachment 721433

A lot more work to do but I'm happy with the progress. More to Come!!

That is some Frakken' fine work there sir, well done !!

Minor Update. Got a little work done late last night after the kids and the Mrs. went to bed.

photo 2 (1).JPGphoto 1 (1).JPG

Now that the rough sanding is almost over I'm going to jump back into building the Holster. I needed the blaster together so I could use it as a form so to speak. The first hurdle is going to be cutting that flap out of the plastic.

photo 2 (2).JPGphoto 1 (2).JPG

Probably going to do this old school; marking, drilling pilot holes along the border all the way around and then connecting the dots with the Razor Knife. After that it's back to sanding, sanding and MORE BLOODY SANDING!!!!!! More to come!!

More late night work folks as I caught up on the latest episodes of my favorite shows; The Expanse and Agents of Shield that I had on the DVR. Pilot holes are drilled and now on to cutting the rough inner shape out of the plastic.

photo (16).JPG

Note the double outlined curve on the LHS of the piece. After that is cut out at the highest point I'm going to try to create the "bent" holding "tongue" of the holster by heating up this section and bending it to shape. Wish me Luck!!!

Got some work done over the last few hours while the wife and kids were watching a movie. Getting the pistol together has inspired me again. Take a look;

photo 1 (3).JPGphoto 2 (3).JPGphoto 4.JPGphoto 3.JPG

More to come!!!

Minor update today; I've started to sheet the outer surfaces of the holster. One note if I ever attempt to build another of these holsters I'm going to use a slightly thinner stock plastic. I wanted to use the materials I had on hand but 1/8 inch stock is a witch to cut but now that I'm deep into this piece I'm sticking with it. Here are some pictures;

photo 3 (1).JPGphoto 2 (4).JPGphoto 1 (4).JPG

More to come!!

Minor Update today folks; the holster's sides and front are completely covered and I just have to add a cover where the pistol enters the piece. After that major SANDING and some CUTTING!!!

photo 4 (2).JPGphoto 3 (3).JPGphoto 2 (5).JPGphoto 1 (5).JPG

Oh by the way the "blue line" in the last picture is going to be my lower bending point for the retainer flap of the Holster. I'm going to heat the plastic with the wife's heavy hair dryer and bend the flap at that point using a metal straight edge. If that turns out okay then I will go for the second bend at a higher point (as well as re-work the shape of the flap a bit. Note, I have two more BSG Blasters that I want to build holsters for and I already know what I have to change in those builds. Among a few size issues is of course THE FRONT PROFILE!!!! Looking back I should have taken more time to follow the shapes of the muzzles and not just gone with a flat rectangular front. Oh well, I will get this holster and pistol done and then dive right back into those projects in the coming months..

More to come!!!

Last edited:

I think I'm DONE (???) with the Main Body of the Holster (well besides attachment points some cleanup and minor putty/priming)!!!!

photo 2 (6).JPGphoto 3 (4).JPGphoto 1 (8).JPGphoto 1 (7).JPG

Last edited:

Haven't been able to do much in the last few days but a visit to LOWES for supplies also provided the Thigh Strap (1" Black Velcro) I was looking for. The attachment points are simple plastic strip stock cut to shape and it's ready for the next step.

photo 1 (9).JPGphoto 2 (8).JPG

Minor update today folks, 1st primer coat has been applied. Pictures below;

photo 3 (5).JPGphoto 2 (11).JPGphoto 1 (10).JPG

Sorry for the messy workbench in the shots, one of these days I will get time to throw out some stuff.

I need a word of advice folks. I'm sitting here trying to decide whether I want to paint the holster in Semi-Gloss or Flat Black and I can't make up my mind. The ones I have seen online are a bit of both depending on the materials used. I'm leaning towards Semi-Gloss given the color of the thigh strap and the material (black marine vinyl) I'm going to use for the belt loop seems to be a semi gloss black so to speak.

Thanks for any suggestions forthcoming!!!

I need a word of advice folks. I'm sitting here trying to decide whether I want to paint the holster in Semi-Gloss or Flat Black and I can't make up my mind. The ones I have seen online are a bit of both depending on the materials used. I'm leaning towards Semi-Gloss given the color of the thigh strap and the material (black marine vinyl) I'm going to use for the belt loop seems to be a semi gloss black so to speak.

Thanks for any suggestions forthcoming!!!

darkev.

My humble suggestion is that you paint it in the flat black but use a semi-gloss acrylic sealer. Krylon makes a great one I have use before and it holds up well to handling if applied in multiple coats.

regards,
Don

Hello Don

I will try it out on some sheet stock to see if I like it. Thanks for the Tip!!!
darkev.

My humble suggestion is that you paint it in the flat black but use a semi-gloss acrylic sealer. Krylon makes a great one I have use before and it holds up well to handling if applied in multiple coats.

regards,
Don

Another update today folks, 2nd coat of Clear Satin over the Flat Black. I like the finish but next time I might try something a bit different. Picture below;

photo 1 (11).JPGphoto 2 (12).JPG

Oh by the way the white specs on the nose was a bit of dust, it didn't stick to the paint given it was dry and blew right off after I took the picture.

Once again forget me for the "really" messy bench in the background, I'm still working on some Anime Mecha kits and a Heavy Gear Gaming Miniature and well I shoved them to the side to start painting the holster.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back