Tragedy!!! Arnold 1/4 Olympia!!!

bobbyt

20170317_183620_resized_1.jpg20170317_183630_resized_1.jpg1490115251507.jpg
So, I have luck like a damn voodoo doll. I brought this statue home from work because I wanted to explore paint texturing on it. My wife had a friend over that destroyed it. It is almost impossible to replace it. I am going to glue it back together, and modify "errors". $1K up a wild boar's ass...

I am disappointed as hell, because it cost a fortune, but I am kind of excited because there were spots in the original that I am going to refine when I recast it. Veins were terrible, and distracted from the appearance. I will recast it with improvements, and it may be 10 times better.

I am disappointed as hell, because it cost a fortune, but I am kind of excited because there were spots in the original that I am going to refine when I recast it. Veins were terrible, and distracted from the appearance. I will recast it with improvements, and it may be 10 times better.
I admire your optimism regarding this, I would be pissed as all hell, and the friend should help with the cost of repairing it. Some sort of compensation for breaking it.

I admire your optimism regarding this, I would be pissed as all hell, and the friend should help with the cost of repairing it. Some sort of compensation for breaking it.
It is laugh or cry at the moment.They can afford to pay, but I am on the fence...

I just want a great display that I can enjoy in my gym. This **** will always be on display due to the lesson I learned here. Put your displays behind glass!!! I loved this statue too much. I have a vision for my home gym that I want to realize. I don't want a piece to recast for resale purposes, but I want the perfect room that motivates me. I am thinking of not reworking the original piece, and using the anger to work harder.

It is laugh or cry at the moment.They can afford to pay, but I am on the fence...

I tip my hat to you for keeping a positive attitude through this. Regardless of ability to pay, if I were that "friend" I would offer to compensate if not monetarily, by offering to help in another way you would see fit to help, out of common decency. Accidents happen, but wow...there are other ways to help and make things right other than money.

Again, kudos to you. You have a great mind set, and I'm sure everything will turn out better for you.

Sucks to hear that this happened. So are you the original sculptor? I only ask because you mention recasting it. Even if you aren't planning on selling any copies, recasting another artist's work is definitely not ok.

Sucks to hear that this happened. So are you the original sculptor? I only ask because you mention recasting it. Even if you aren't planning on selling any copies, recasting another artist's work is definitely not ok.
Yeah,I have been going back and forth in my head about recasting it. I know that you are right, but I wanted to smooth out imperfections, and perfect the sculpt to my liking. I won't recast it if it is an unpopular course of action. I just saw an opportunity to modify it to my liking. Disregard the recast idea.

I think to recast it for your own collection is not a problem at all.
As long as you do not sell it ,give it away or display it in public as if it is a genuine piece.
It is wrong when you copy/duplicate an artwork and putting the signature of the artist on it and putting it out in the world as an original.
I think you should just go ahead and mould and cast it.
Just my thoughts

Looks like a lot of work and money to cast that piece for only one copy,.....just don't be tempted to sell a few of the castings to compensate for your effort and investment

If you need it fixed and repainted, I highly recommend Rafael Robledo Jr. He is the man when it comes to this stuff. Expect it to come back looking even better than before it was broken.

If you're interested I can shoot you his email and link you to some of his work.

I think to recast it for your own collection is not a problem at all.
As long as you do not sell it ,give it away or display it in public as if it is a genuine piece.
It is wrong when you copy/duplicate an artwork and putting the signature of the artist on it and putting it out in the world as an original.
I think you should just go ahead and mould and cast it.
Just my thoughts

Making even 1 copy for his own personal use is still recasting and will likely get you banned from the RPF - just my thoughts.

Making even 1 copy for his own personal use is still recasting and will likely get you banned from the RPF - just my thoughts.

Really?I didn't know that,
TJack could you explain why that is?
I mean,..is it just the rules of the RPF that recasting or duplicating is not allowed ,.like "houserules"to protect artist from income theft or is it somewhere written in the Law?
In Europe(where i live) you can duplicate a not copyrighted artwork and sell it as long as you don't put a forged signature on it and sell it as if it is an original piece of art created by the artist you copied.
When duplicating an artwork especialy when you modify it or even just portions of it(in this case removing veines and changing colour and size) is regarded as an original work of art(not so great artist and really great artists have done this for centuries and it is called a tribute to the original,or "communicating""reflecting""refering to"with the art they copied,which is regarded as flattering to the original creator or starting a dialoge.
This as long as the original artist has not copyrighted the work.
The fact that the casted copy is different in size due to shrinkage makes it an original newly created piece of work and perfectly legal to even call it your own original work,again. as long as you do not in anyway link it to the artist who original created it by stating it is the original work by the original artist you copied.
I do not know the law in the U.S.A so i only speak of Europe
Look at what the chinese do,they duplicate(in some cases exactly) put on a new name and sell it as originals.
This is why some companies even go so far to try to get copyright on colourmixtures of brand colour or logos,which is a difficult thing to do and ussualy only can be done with colour combinations(cocacola red and white,mcdonnalds yellow and red etc.)
Copyright on an image or shape or sound is even harder to get.usually it depends on combinations of shapes ,notes,proportions etc.
In this case,probably the artist has copyright on his work and mr Schwartsnegger has his image probably copyrighted aswell so this would make it illegal indeed but again difficult to prove due to shrinkage and removing veins and changing colour.
Sometimes artists get the exact same idea,..so who was first?
This is why musicsians send a piece of music to them selves by mail and leave the envelope unopened to have the poststamp date as a prove they were the first to record the notes.
But then again it is difficult to prove someone "stole" your work,since certain notes naturaly/harmonicaly "have to"resolve in a certain other note or notes,the "second"artist did not have a choice but to use this note combination and will therefore be allowed to do so without any legal problem.
It is hard for artists who even have the finances to get their work legally protected by copyright,octroy to protect their works from being duplicated.
Half the rpf forum is duplicating works from other artists and is exhibitting model kits in all their glory and is being aplauded for it so please explain why casting a copy in this case will get you banned from the rpf?

Last edited:
Voodoocaster - there are already LOTS of threads on the RPF that discuss recasting in detail that will explain the ins and outs of what is and isn't acceptable here. Better to have a look at them then hijacking this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Voodoocaster - there are already LOTS of threads on the RPF that discuss recasting in detail that will explain the ins and outs of what is and isn't acceptable here. Better to have a look at them then hijacking this thread.

O.K point taken.,.i never meant to hijack this thread,..sorry for that.
Please,if possible do delete my above posts to keep this thread tidy.
Thanks

I am not going to recast. I am however, going to modify the piece, and rework the paint. I already glued it back together.

20170324_165852_resized.jpg20170324_165921_resized.jpg20170324_165840_resized.jpg20170324_165845_resized.jpg

The breaks were clean enough that 2 Part epoxy could put it back together.

Last edited:
It was sitting on a small table where I work on small projects. I am not sure how it happened I came home to it. My wife says that a chair was moved and that chair knocked it over. I don't know how it happened in actually. it just seems so improbable. They have promised to pay the 1k that paid for it, and I might actually be able to line up a replacement. I am optimistic, but cautious at this point.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back