COSPLAY Melee on Syfy - First Season

propmaster2000

Sr Member
Just for information:
There is a new show on Syfy coming March 21st.
''Cosplay Melee''
http://www.syfy.com/cosplaymelee/cast/1 with Christian Beckman of Quantum Creation FX, Inc. as one of the judges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu2B9ythLjY

Not sure what to expect.
There have been many shows which have come and gone having ''costume making & fabrication'' as the premise..
e.g. Heroes of Cosplay -
I wish they would do a show with old school prop making using hands on skills and fabrication (sculpting, casting, fabrication, painting, etc.).
From sourcing all the parts and materials to design and development, etc.
There could be some prop making for costuming purposes however.

Last edited:
Re: COSPLAY Melee on Syfy March 21st.

I wish cosplayers would stop going for fast and cheap which is what attracts these reality shows half the time and focus on one very good costume to do. Half these cosplayers have 3 costumes going at once and I don't care how good you are the quality is going to suffer.

Just for information:
There is a new show on Syfy coming March 21st.
''Cosplay Melee''
http://www.syfy.com/cosplaymelee/cast/1 with Christian Beckman of Quantum Creation FX, Inc. as one of the judges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu2B9ythLjY

Not sure what to expect.
There have been many shows which have come and gone having ''costume making & fabrication'' as the premise..
e.g. Heroes of Cosplay -
I wish they would do a show with old school prop making using hands on skills and fabrication (sculpting, casting, fabrication, painting, etc.).
From sourcing all the parts and materials to design and development, etc.
There could be some prop making for costuming purposes however.

The bummer is thats how Face Off used to be, regarding the make up etc. Now its just filler to see what the final products are. The parts I want to see are the fabrication, the mold making, and all the tools they have at their disposal. I would watch the hell out of the type of show you mentioned.

I would like them to setup the cod players with a rash that's the same and see how's skills at making it is the best. Like was said from all the fab to tools to finding materials. Then the final result. Not just a shop setup with every tool and material. More like Forged in Fire

Honestly, it's going to be crap. That's what Syfy is. It'll be half-assed costumes and tons of idiotic drama. Pass without even looking at it.

I do like Faceoff, yet wish it was a 2 hour show showing more of the making. I'll watch this new show, but I expect it to be about 20 mins of random quick shots of them working on the costume, then the rest of the show having the judges do their thing.

Jim Henson's Creature Shop Challened focused a lot on fabrication. Well as much as they could in a one hour show that included filming of the creatures and judging. Unlike Face Off there was a lot of arguing and drama though. It was a good show and I wish it lasted longer than one season.

Jim Henson's Creature Shop Challened focused a lot on fabrication. Well as much as they could in a one hour show that included filming of the creatures and judging. Unlike Face Off there was a lot of arguing and drama though. It was a good show and I wish it lasted longer than one season.
Yeah, its too bad it died so quickly. My fiance loves puppetry, and was quiet disappointed when it was done.

I love looking at really well made cosplay, but too many times its not so great. Back when I was on a myspace group, I had a thread with the most pathetic cosplay. That thread was pages and pages of just horrible stuff. It was great.

I would like them to setup the cod players with a rash that's the same...

I think you're on to something. But where will we find girls willing to interact with CoD players, and will the CoD players even know what to do with them?
We may have to resort to spiking their shampoo with poison oak or something...

The disappointing part of creative \ build shows is they don't show enough of the build sequence.
Since they don't have a lot of time during the ''edited part'' of each episode, they can only show so much
of everything that has been filmed.
The sad part is, since most of the builders would like the most camera time, so they will create tension to get there
15 minutes of fame and not be at all entertaining or provide any useful information.
Most of the statements that will be made by the judges will be taken out of context as well, trying to add to the drama.
"Oh look at that!", "I've never seen that before!", "What a wonderful creation!", yada, yada, yada....

I guess the name says it all -
Melee * A confused mass of people.

Last edited:

Good post..you have captured my thoughts in your first five words, however.

Being a guy stops me from complaining about fangirls who, on their own, dress in skimpy costumes. :lol The show however might be crap if they don't actually show some construction process instead of drama.

I would give up ten skimpily dressed cosplay girls if it meant having to suffer through one idiot in a Deadpool cosplay.

To be clear here, my distaste has nothing to do with the costumes or the people making them.. maybe this show will focus on that and it will turn out alright?
What I despise are the people who dress up and then push it too far because they think they're "in character." That is why I dislike cosplay. I assume this show will be focusing far more on personalities and frankly.. ****.. than it will be on any actual talented costuming.

Being a guy stops me from complaining about fangirls who, on their own, dress in skimpy costumes. :lol The show however might be crap if they don't actually show some construction process instead of drama.

I would give up ten skimpily dressed cosplay girls if it meant having to suffer through one idiot in a Deadpool cosplay....
What I despise are the people who dress up and then push it too far because they think they're "in character." That is why I dislike cosplay...

I love you. Thank you.

It's on the same level to me as what MST3K did, opened the floodgate for morons who think they're funny to try their material at the theater.

Ah, drama. IT"S A TV SHOW:) I love Top Chef, but I certainly don't learn anything about cooking. What is worse is that you can't taste any of the food.

I will watch with an open mind, but doubt I will learn anything.

The premier starts tonight at 10pm on SyFy.
It would be nice to learn something new and put into actual practice.

I hope it's not just a show for the numb minded and only a time filler.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back