COSPLAY Melee on Syfy - First Season

I watched again last night and for me, this episode was my favorite.
Using LED light EFX to enhance and make props/costumes come to life, is what I look for.
Back lighting helps to give a different perspective to a tired piece and gives a sense of function.
You can replicate motion, mystical power, heat, etc. by how an LED is used.
Possessing a variety of skill sets (lighting, animation and sound) helps the "player" to create unique, one-of-a-kind project builds.

Nice job by all participants . :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am really enjoying this show. I realize how much i don't know and am fascinated by some of the construction techniques.
Little stuff like the hot tinfoil on foam to simulate leather. Making body templates from saran wrap and tape.

I could use less drama and backstory. I don't care about the made up name or the runway acting but I am blown away by the results. Some of my costumes take months or years of tweaking.
I have mixed feelings about them always creating imaginary characters. It allows for creativity but instead of a Halo inspired cosplay, I would like to see masterchief. I guess time and copy-write would be a pain.

I will say that all of the people on the show so far have been very talented. One suggestion for the show is to separate the first task from the main one like in Forged in Fire. In that show everyone just makes a knife to show their skills and then the best move on to make a historical weapon, sword, axe...

I was not overwhelmed by any of the outfits, however I did learn some neat techniques watching the winner put together his armor. Wish he had chosen a better concept rather than a "murdered cat", but overall happy he won and agree with the judges decision. Next week looks like a fun episode for my daughter and I to watch together.

I just wish it wasn't on so late.
When the series first aired, I didn't have a problem staying awake since my interest was high.
Now after watching all the episodes, I think for me it's getting a bit repetitive and my interest is waning,
so it is getting a bit tougher to stay awake.
There was a couple techniques used on the foam which have merit as well as duct tape/aluminum foil.
Some lighting was added which I like.
Over all this episode was ok.
Maybe if they go another season, it will be on a bit earlier.

Tonight will be the final episode for the first season (ep.#6).
"Animelee".
No matter how well this one is, I hope they do another season. It can only get better.
More tools, materials and talent (skill of the build).

30 minutes to go. Meet one of the cod players at Silicon Valley Comic Conover the weekend , wouldn't elaborate any info so have to wait

Well, it's over. The first season is completed.
I guess there is room for improvement, but over all - it was OK (it could have been worse).

I like the idea of showing the builds themselves and the creative process (the back stories not so much).
If the stories were more about there learning experiences and how they developed their skills, that would be interesting to me.
''Why they did what they did".....

Here is a link explaining more about the show and hopefully there will be another season.
Maybe they will bring the winners together to find the ultimate player from season 1.

https://medium.com/@Constance.D/8-questions-to-syfy-cosplay-melee-executive-producer-798f7927c596

Watched the finale last night, and now thinking on it today, I figured out what was bugging me.

The guy's .hack costume should have won, hands down. Because it was the only one that fit into its world.

Now, granted, I've only watched the Lodoss OAV, but I've never seen fairies in it. And that outfit of hers doesn't look/feel like something from the series.

The Madoka one? Generic magical girl, at best. Sure, she knew about the whole backstory thing with Madoka, but what was her character's wish? The wish influences the Magical Girl (such as why Sayaka had strong healing abilities), and it didn't even seem like she'd thought about what her wish was. And the wand didn't really make sense as a weapon, either.

But the .hack one? As soon as I saw his sketch, it screamed .hack to me. When he came out, I was like "dude, that totally looks like a design that came straight out of .hack." The gauntlet thing was a bit out-of-place, but he never said what class his character was, and I'm not as familiar with the R2-onwards stuff, so there might be a gauntlet weapon-based fighter.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back