Finally my own replica Obi-Wan ANH Lightsaber

James Kenobi 1138

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
In the last 10 years I've made more than a handful of replica Obi-Wan ANH lightsabers for friends and fellow RPFers but I've never had a proper replica for myself.

I've had the parts for years but since I have an all real parts Obi ANH saber I wasn't in a hurry to put this together until recently as I wanted something new to bring to this years NTX prop party.

Parts are:
Russ steel balance pipe
Parks steel grenade
Romans Graflex clamp
Romans bubble strip
Russ steel booster
Romans sink knob

The grenade and booster were weathered by being case hardened and then soaked in high carbon oil for about 3 months to darken the steel.

24511312044757-vi.jpg

28511312048549-vi.jpg

06511312026835-vi.jpg

20511312040570-vi.jpg

47511312007913-vi.jpg

Here it is with my real parts saber:

44511312004343-vi.jpg

03511312023255-vi.jpg

39511311999123-vi.jpg

10511312030636-vi.jpg

I was able to finally to use my found part emitter cone on this saber:

59511312019384-vi.jpg

Last edited:
What do you mean by "case hardened"?

nice job!

I heated the steel grenade and booster with a torch until they were almost white (my torch wasn't hot enough to get them as hot as they needed to be) and then I quenched them in used, dirty black motor oil. I wanted the steel to absorb the oil to darken the metal and it worked but was not as dark as I wanted so I soaked them in the oil also.

Is it not a rebelscum bubble strip ?
Accurate shape and details, including small flats doesn't make me think about romans-korbanth-parks bubbles.

I heated the steel grenade and booster with a torch until they were almost white (my torch wasn't hot enough to get them as hot as they needed to be) and then I quenched them in used, dirty black motor oil. I wanted the steel to absorb the oil to darken the metal and it worked but was not as dark as I wanted so I soaked them in the oil also.

That's a crazy cool way to go about it, but I think I'll just stick to bluing... There's no way I wouldn't end up with 3rd degree burns if I was let near a torch.

That's a crazy cool way to go about it, but I think I'll just stick to bluing... There's no way I wouldn't end up with 3rd degree burns if I was let near a torch.

I bought a really big steel cooking pot and filled it 1/2 way with used oil (about 5 quarts), more then enough to cover the grenade. I'll tell you though, holding the crazy hot grenade over the oil I was so nervous that I'd drop it in and the steel would shatter and throw oil everywhere and explode but it just bubbled and smoked.

I bought a really big steel cooking pot and filled it 1/2 way with used oil (about 5 quarts), more then enough to cover the grenade. I'll tell you though, holding the crazy hot grenade over the oil I was so nervous that I'd drop it in and the steel would shatter and throw oil everywhere and explode but it just bubbled and smoked.

Hilarious! I broke the pin off the neck of an older grenade and it destroyed me for a week... If you blow-torched your REAL grenade... man you got more guts than I.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back