Vaccuforming Question

mikec23

Hi All,
I'm not sure if this is where this question should be posted, so I apologize if not. I'm looking to vaccuform a 16" hemisphere. with the idea being that I make 2 of them, seal them together, and have a ball (I'm building a 80% sized BB-8). However, I'm at a loss for vaccuforming the ball. What should I sue to create the buck? I looked for a 16" styrofoam dome but couldn't find one. Since this thing needs to roll, it has to be a near perfect sphere. Thanks for the input!

Are you int he US? If you search 16" acrylic globe, there are some lighting shops selling them for under $40. They have an opening but perhaps you can use those? I'd be inclined to buy a couple, make a template for BB-8's panels and then cut them all out. How many you'd need would depend how big the hole was vs one of the circular panels.

The Prop Builder's Molding & Casting Handbook by Thurston James (a fantastically useful book overall) has a section on this. You don't make a buck, you make a circular cutout of the needed diameter in a box of adequate depth and just pull vacuum until you have half a sphere. Alternatively if you don't have a deep box to vacuum into you can inflate the styrene with compressed air.

Google Books link

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back