Another Harry Potter Hogwarts Quidditch Chest

vader1974

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have been planning this project for a couple years after a trip to The Wizarding World at Universal Studios Florida. Member Canada beat me to the project and his chest is awesome. You can check out his thread here: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=253391

My chest is based on screen captures from the movie, pics of the screen used chest located at the Harry Potter Studio Tour in London, and the chest located at Universal Studios in Florida.

As with Canada's build, almost nothing is available commercially. So building this thing is quite a chore and required a bunch of fabrication (wood, metal, and 3d printing). I started my quest with the Quaffle that is available for purchase from Universal. All of my dimensions are scaled from this ball, which is roughly 8 inches in diameter.

First, I built the chest and curved top.

Then, I built the shelf that holds the Quidditch Balls.

I used 5 inch steel balls for my bludgers.

Last edited:
I used my vinyl cutter and software to layout the basic artwork and used two colors of water based stain to achieve the diamond layout.

IMG_1944.JPGIMG_1942.JPG

Once satisfied with the base colors, I applied paint masks and stencils for the bulk of the paint work.

IMG_1951.JPG

It's looking FANTASTIC! What a great project this is. I wish I had the carpentry skills and tools to do something like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Next, I moved to the bludger containment rings. The rings were cut from mild steel and the covers were made using a 6 inch steel hemisphere. I welded links of chain to the appropriate areas to achieve the desired look.

IMG_1914.JPGIMG_1913.JPGIMG_1912.JPG

The side handle bases were cut from the same thickness of mild steel and chain links were welded to support the handles. The handles are 3d printed, but will be replaced with metal and wood.

IMG_1911.JPGIMG_2091.JPG

Last edited:
The hinges are cut down door hinges with welded on straps and locking hasp. I welded nuts on the underside of the hinges so no screw head were visible on the outside of the chest. I am planning on welding an additional plate on the hinges on the back so the holes are not visible.

IMG_2097.JPGIMG_2096.JPGIMG_2092.JPG

During a quick trip to Hobby Lobby for paint, I ran across a wall hanger that gave me the opportunity to upgrade my bludger containment system. The screen used chest has decorative metal pieces similar to the wall hanger, so I salvaged what I needed. With a little adjustment and welding, I had something closer to my original intent. The nails for the rings are rose head nails.

IMG_2098.JPGIMG_2099.JPGIMG_2101.JPG

Last edited:
My original intent and still my goal is for most everything to be metal or wood, but one thing that I knew that I would need to 3d print was the crest which holds the snitch. It was designed on Tinkercad and printed on my Robo3d. I am not quite happy with it, but it will do for now. The snitch is the resin version which comes with the sticker book (about $10) from Barnes and Noble or Amazon.

View attachment 713106View attachment 713107View attachment 713109View attachment 713108

The lock and key plate on the front is also 3d printed.
View attachment 713110

I designed and 3d printed the chest corner pieces, but I am not happy with them (So no pics, I still think metal is the way to go).

I started this project on February 1st with a goal of completion by the North Texas Prop Party on March 4th. While I did not get it completed, I made a ton of progress and had a bunch of fun discussing it at the party. It is still a work in progress, but I need to let it rest for a couple of weeks before I attack it again.

List of improvement ahead
1. Metal and Wood Side Handles
2. Additional Paint Details and Weathering
3. Metal Chest Corners
4. Black Oxide the hinge and straps to match other metal parts
5. Redesign the Snitch Crest with magnetic closures.
6. Working lid supports
7. Add details to bludgers
8. Animate the chest with bouncing bludgers and rocking chest like in the movie and Universal Studios.

I am always interested in any feedback, comments, or questions.

https://goo.gl/photos/BzHi1UTUrLQp23x37 [/IMG

Last edited:
Wow nice work can't believe I missed this, I'd love to have one of these. I don't know if it's just me but I can't see the last post attachments?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back