Witch King helmet in steel

Blaxmyth

Sr Member
After the first pepakura fibreglass and wood helmet, I thought it'd be fun to make one in steel.
20170204_085524.jpg
The templates were easy, well sort of, I ended up tracing the second pepakura one, then allowing a bit for the inevitable adjustments. The steel sheet is cold rolled mild, 1.2mm thick, or 18 gauge. It's the biggest that I can cut with hand shears, although I wouldn't mind getting some 1.5mm and getting it water jet cut.

The spikes were the first part I tackled. I was able to make a small gas forge and get some 12mm and 1omm rod up to red heat for drawing out to a point on the anvil. The coal forge is too messy, plus I'd been wanting to make a gas forge for ages.
IMG_0495.JPG
Next was the spiked centre piece. Fortunately I have a sheet metal brake which just handles 1.2 sheet, although I did have to sharpen the bend over some angle iron. The cheek pieces were next, and thanks to YouTube I was able to raise the flutes on the cheek.
IMG_0492.JPGIMG_0493.JPGIMG_0494.JPG
Every square inch had to be peened with a small ball hammer to give the sheet some texture. The surface didn't look busy enough when it was plain and shiny.
Next was getting the nose welded, followed by riveting the crown together.
IMG_0497.JPGIMG_0498.JPG
I was able to borrow a sand blasting nozzle and after a quick trip to the local beach, have sand blasted one side. The plan is to blacken the whole helmet over the coal forge with a smoky flame, then use oil and nugget to set the blackening. The sand blaster helps to roughen the surface to make the sooty mesh adhere better.
IMG_0500.JPGIMG_0499.JPGIMG_0501.JPG

More to come!

Couldn't wait to roast it over the forge so gave it a quick coat of flat black spray can. Starting to look the part, although it needs lots of weathering and oiling to bring out the highlights.
IMG_0515.JPGIMG_0516.JPG
I welded two of the spikes on to a base, which will be cut away and ground into a curved base, ready for plug welding onto the rim. I'm having second thoughts about using steel for the spikes. I'll finish them for this helmet, then have a go at drilling and grinding out a two-part mould for casting spikes in aluminium. Well, that's the plan. :)
IMG_0517.JPG

Finished welding the spikes to some scrap steel. Now to grind them to shape, followed by hand filing and probably some patch up welding before fitting them to the helmet.
IMG_0518.JPGIMG_0519.JPGIMG_0520.JPG

You're just downright having FUN aren't you.:lol It is looking amazing.Can't wait to see it in the flesh. I have also subscribed.

Bit of a delay on the spikes - need to preheat the spikes before welding them to the 18ga sheet, so hopefully will have that done in a few days when I get my mig up and running.

Spent the time today working on a second helmet, learning quite a bit about shaping and stretching the sheet. Might revisit the first helmet and add some more contours to the cheeks.

IMG_0526.JPG

Did some more work on the spikes over the last couple of days. I've welded a countersunk bolt into some 5mm strap, then welded the spikes on top. Cleaning and shaping with the angle grinder, then some round files and lastly the Dremel with a small cylindrical stone. Getting there slowly. I might try heating the finished spike set in the forge, just to give it some texture the same as the shaft of the spikes.
IMG_0533.JPGIMG_0532.JPG
IMG_0535.JPGIMG_0541.JPGIMG_0543.JPG

Got the spikes welded, then the welds ground with the angle grinder, then Dremel and hand files. Next step is to give them some time in the gas forge to get the overall texture more like the spikes. That'll have to wait till the rain stops.
IMG_0544.JPG

Assembled the three pieces today, welding the nose and welding and riveting the temples. Next step is to size the head band and rivet it into place.

I am planning to weld in some loops inside the head band to support a cap or similar so that the helmet can be worn. Not sure how the hood arrangement will go yet. Suggestions gratefully received.

Used a big rubber hammer to curve the head band and the rear part of the bat ears. Popped a nose weld, but was able to re-weld it with only a minimal amount of bad language.

IMG_0547.JPGIMG_0546.JPG

Hopefully I'll be able to post pics of the spikes fitted tomorrow. :)

First test assembly. Still have to sand blast the sunburn on his nose, heat the spike bases to match the spikes, place the interior liner clips and then smoke-weather the whole thing.

But feeling pretty good about progress so far.

IMG_0551.JPGIMG_0552.JPGIMG_0553.JPG

Now sand blasted the weld heat marks, heated the bases of the spikes to dull their shine, and reassembled. Next step is to use the coal forge for weathering, then mount on a display stand.

It's too heavy for easy wearing, so might have to make the next one with a view to ease of cosplaying. That will mean new templates and a new way of constructing. Should be fun.

IMG_0555.JPG IMG_0556.JPG IMG_0557.JPG IMG_0558.JPG IMG_0559.JPG

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back