1:24 "studio scale" T-70 X Wing Resistance Fighter that never was...

edspaged2

Hi all,

I thought that I'd share my little project that I've been working on these past few months. Now that it's starting to take shape it seemed like a good time to post now.

This is a 1:24 "studio scale" model that I'm currently building. The parentheses on the "studio scale" is because there was no such thing. Everything is cgi these days so it's my interpretation as to what it would look like if a filming model was made. The model of the T-70 that is currently sitting in the Launch Bays at the disney parks are slightly bigger from what I remember. The scale that I've chosen to build this in is to reflect the same scale of the original T-65 filming prop used in ANH.

This is my first scratch build of a Star Wars fighter or for that matter any ship. Any criticism is welcome. The main reason as to why I'm building this is to get a bit more experience behind me before I start my studio scale T-65. The other reason was also because there wasn't any available on the market and I quite like the design of the new x wing. The models which are currently available are way too small!

I've attached a few pics but I'll eventually post more up as I progress. Still loads of sanding and filling to do on the body.

image_zpsyknnbaxp.jpeg
[/URL][/img]

image_zpsclxt7csi.jpeg
[/URL][/img]

image_zpslgsnrm6x.jpeg
[/URL][/img]

image_zpswqlf9kqq.jpeg
[/URL][/img]

image_zpsg6yjomuo.jpeg
[/URL][/img]

image_zpswwvxytmw.jpeg
[/URL][/img]

image_zpsyxkqaoin.jpeg
[/URL][/img]

image_zps9kl0bi6w.jpeg
[/URL][/img]

image_zpscqmj48cz.jpeg
[/URL][/img]

Very nice!! I particularly like the machined aluminum engine nacelles.

I've been very much hoping that someone produces a 1/24 kit of the T-70.

Holy crap, that's awesome ! Well done so far, can't wait to see your progress.

What are the black sheets made of ? Also, do you plan a full cockpit, fiber optics, etc ?

Cheers for the comments guys. Much appreciated!

Holy crap, that's awesome ! Well done so far, can't wait to see your progress.

What are the black sheets made of ? Also, do you plan a full cockpit, fiber optics, etc ?

The black sheets are just standard 2mm thick styrene sheet from a hobby shop. I didn't want to make the walls too thick as I have something in mind for a project I want to do later on....

Yeah I'll definitely be making a full cockpit for this. It's not gonna be a crazy cockpit or anything. With this build I want to keep it similar to the original studio scale model. I have a casting of the original Daft Punk helmet looking ILM pilot figure that I'll model the cockpit around.
This is the mold buck that I'm building so won't have the fiber optics and stuff put on it. Once I've molded it then I'll put christmas lights on the castings! A couple of people on this forum have helped me out tremendously with hard to find parts so it'll also be a gift to them. You know who you are if your reading this!

Wow! I'm really loving this. I really like the T-70 so I'll be watching this with great interest.

Chris

The fuselage so far. Still plenty of work sanding all the blemishes and spots that I think I've sanded down but really haven't. Just when I think it's gone, turns out it just reappeared elsewhere and I end up finding more after re spraying the primer.

image_zpsrgoyemos.jpeg
[/URL][/img]

A quick question for some people out there. I'm unsure whether I should attach the rear canopy to the body permanently or keep it separate with the forward cockpit canopy. Any suggestions?

image_zpsylyum7i0.jpeg
[/URL][/img]

image_zps9l5usfxs.jpeg
[/URL][/img]

image_zpsmusqtz4u.jpeg
[/URL][/img]

You SO need to kit this!!

I'm actually going to be making molds of this, as I want a few for myself to make a wall display and also making a couple more for a couple of people who've helped me out with some rare parts such as the entex porsche. I guess we'll see the end result first, if it's worthy of being a kit haha. I'm not a pro builder like most people on this forum.

I didn't have any .5mm plastruct strips left so I got some 1mm thick strips and milled them down. These strips were used for the little raised rectangle panels (antenna?) that you see on the fuselage.

image_zpsh9h4tnpg.jpeg
[/URL][/img]

image_zps4qtfzn7e.jpeg
[/URL][/img]

I also beefed up the top fuselage section by adding 2mm styrene sheet. I want to keep the fuselage as thin as possible, but thick enough to not flex and twist.

image_zpsja0rzclq.jpeg
[/URL][/img]

I couldn't help myself. I wanted to see what it would look like with the wings attached.

image_zpsilm6jyua.jpeg
[/URL][/img]

image_zpsfubyqxnc.jpeg
[/URL][/img]

image_zps7fvqv04s.jpeg
[/URL][/img]

And wings closed.

image_zpsci8vm4px.jpeg
[/URL][/img]

image_zpsapylaujr.jpeg
[/URL][/img]

Still loads to do. I'll start doing the cockpit next I think.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back