Edge of Tomorrow Jacket Technology Suit

dorningt

This will be my first cosplay build. I am building the exosuit referred to as "jacket technology" in the movie.
2uU7fkDE3NOgRWG373VmJaGXPzC.jpg

I started with references. I took a lot of screen shots. I also used two RPF post that have allot of helpful info and references http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=218716
and http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=215258

I'm using my carwright cnc to do the bulk of the project, so I started with the carving software.
I molded all of the upper arm first here is the current version of the cutout.
Fist Print.png

After allot of back and forth from computer to cnc here is the best version so far(seriously I have a tot with allot of not just wright parts). I still need to teek a few things with the hardware for the joints and probably need to bondo smooth finish the final version before paint but its pretty close.

20160929_233550.jpg

I used the same arm to do some painting test.
20170114_191129.jpg
20170114_185245.jpg

I started working on the gun to mount on the arm as well. Have not much progress but here is what it look like right now.

20170121_215830.jpg

The last thing I have done so far is star on the leg. Not cut yet but soon will be ready to cut.
Fist Print foot.png

This is still a project still in progress and far from finished but I will be updating when I get to another milestone.

2uU7fkDE3NOgRWG373VmJaGXPzC.jpg

Fist Print.png

20160929_233550.jpg

20170114_191129.jpg

20170114_185245.jpg

20170121_215830.jpg

Fist Print foot.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been still working on the files for the upper legs and thought an up date would be ok
Fist Print thigh.png
I have also been working on the power pack
Fist Print pack.png
My first attempt at the lower legs didn't go as planned at all no photos of the fail but I do have the files with the needed fixes.
Fist Print foot.png

Yes!! I've been interested in making one of these for a few months now but I don't really have any modelling skills, cannot wait to see more of this!

I love the look of the suit and you're making great headway, but question: Is that MDF you're carving? Won't that be quite heavy?

It is MDF and heavy. I will be casting and molding the final parts out of a light weight plastic. Thank you for your question.

Last edited:
Finished the gun
20170518_185951.jpg
The insides of the gun have been removed for weight. As a finish I did some weathering with a silver pen-touch.
I used a EVA foam painted with spray on plastic dip for the magazine and the trigger mechanism.
Here they are taped up ready to be painted.
20170517_143512.jpg
I used the original buttstock hinge and latch and used thermoplastic to fill in the end.
Here it is before painting with plastic dip.
20170518_160634.jpg

Did a carvewright print and made a first attempt at the foot and lower leg.
20170522_180928.jpg
20170522_180944.jpg
I also did a print of the power pack.
20170522_185615.jpg
After printing I found a part of the movie that shows a different angle of the pack.
Power Pack.png
I did a redo of the pack based off this section of the movie.
Second Print pack.png

Finished the gun
View attachment 729748
The insides of the gun have been removed for weight. As a finish I did some weathering with a silver pen-touch.
I used a EVA foam painted with spray on plastic dip for the magazine and the trigger mechanism.
Here they are taped up ready to be painted.
View attachment 729751
I used the original buttstock hinge and latch and used thermoplastic to fill in the end.
Here it is before painting with plastic dip.
View attachment 729752

Looks like my old FN SCAR with the FN40GL attachment. They picked a cool gun for the movie.

What Maker background do you have? What else have you built?

I'm always amazed when someone says as my first cosplay build, I'm going to crank out an exo-suit.

I have not built cosplay before. I have used my cnc to make furniture and i have used casting and molding tech for industrial parts. I have a background in industrial maintenance and repair. After starting this project i have built a SGU kino remote that looked good. I chose this suit only after a lengthy pre build research and decided that i had the tools to be able to make one.

I have not built cosplay before. I have used my cnc to make furniture and i have used casting and molding tech for industrial parts. I have a background in industrial maintenance and repair. After starting this project i have built a SGU kino remote that looked good. I chose this suit only after a lengthy pre build research and decided that i had the tools to be able to make one.

For my first cosplay build, I glued 4 pieces of foam together and painted them red. I've learned a lot since then.

BTW, Edge of Tomorrow was an excellent film. I didn't want to see it, but my son made me take him while it was in theaters. I'm glad he did.

Last edited:
My wife will be going with me wearing the clothing and carrying the gun just as if she stepped out a jacket armor suit.
So in addition to ordering her a set of boots, gloves, flight suit, plate carrier, and belt i made her a lightweight gun with a removable magazine for her to carry.
20170604_184201.jpg20170604_185315.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back