Making my way over to the America 2019

badges2nz

Hi everyone,
I thought that I would start a thread here in the hopes of being able to sort out a trip for my daughter and I.
My oldest daughter is going on a school trip to Japan and wants to take mummy with her.
So what do I do with my youngest daughter to distract her while mum is away, take her to Disneyland. (YES, great plan and I will be the greatest dad in the universe).
I'm not too sure what month this will take place, but I will have two weeks holiday to organise and hopefully meet up with some members over that way.
Also I am starting to save for the trip as it will cost me not only my daughter and I to the USA but also the trips for two to Japan, yay.
Well as I have said this is just the start of the thread and hopefully with some help along the way we will organise the trip of a lifetime.

If you want to come to the USA, there are tons of things to do. I very much enjoy Disney, but keep in mind that Disney is EXPENSIVE. If I were doing a long trip, I'd prefer Disney World over Disneyland, but that's kind of up to your preferences. Disneyland is not far from LA, and there are attractions there, but I personally cannot stand that area. WAY too congested.

Disney World is more of an immersive experience, in my view, and you can also pop over and visit Universal. I'm not that crazy about Universal, personally, but I do think they did a bang-up job on the Potter World sections, and I think they are definitely worth a visit, ESPECIALLY is your girl is into Potter.

However, given that you are coming from the land of the Kiwis, LA may be more accessible to you.

Yeah, Disney World is much larger than Disney Land... Though, if you intend to do other things in California, then maybe it's preferable.

Is there anything else you'd like to do in the USA?

Maybe you'd like to fly to Hawaii first, and spend a few days there, and then go to California?

-MJ

Disney world is bigger than Disney Land as mentioned before but they are still both expensive as heck. If you are coming all the way to the USA you have plenty of time to plan lots of fun. No matter whether you go to California or Florida you can still have plenty of options of things to do such as visit the beach in California or visit Universal studios if you go to Florida (be mindful of gators in Florida though). There are plenty of members in both areas so that will be a cool experience.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

My oldest daughter has said that going on a school trip to Japan with mum she didn't want me and her younger sister on the same plane (that's the asperges in her).
So I said fine I have to distract olivia some how and thought that Disneyland would be a good idea.
I didn't get to do Disneyland last time I was there (LA), back in 2002, that was pre kiddies on the scene.
My wife and I were coming back home from Scotland after seeing my dad.
We did the universal thing and my last day I went on patrol with the LAPD.

Last edited:
Hey propreplicator2, thanks for the advice, i keep forgetting that down here we are very sheltered as far as dangerous animals are concerned.
The most dangerous we have are either wetas, white tail spiders or possums.

Disney world is bigger than Disney Land as mentioned before but they are still both expensive as heck. If you are coming all the way to the USA you have plenty of time to plan lots of fun. No matter whether you go to California or Florida you can still have plenty of options of things to do such as visit the beach in California or visit Universal studios if you go to Florida (be mindful of gators in Florida though). There are plenty of members in both areas so that will be a cool experience.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

I have thought of maybe trying to go to my Graceland in San Francisco (lucasfilm) if that was a possibility and catch some sights of the city, my youngest loves national treasure and would love to see Mt Rushmore and some museums in Washington D.C.
We have a total of two weeks so there could be some planning to sort out.

Yeah, Disney World is much larger than Disney Land... Though, if you intend to do other things in California, then maybe it's preferable.

Is there anything else you'd like to do in the USA?

Maybe you'd like to fly to Hawaii first, and spend a few days there, and then go to California?

-MJ

- - - Updated - - -

If I can I really want to try and catch a convention while over that way and maybe buy some bb8 parts for my project.

Judging by your avatar you are a star wars fan. Star Wars Celebration will be in the US in 2019. (Likely in Anaheim but that is just a guess). Whether it is in Anaheim or Orlando, either are right next to a Disney Park. Most likely it will be in April.

Just an idea. It is worth traveling to imho.

From what I understand the trip will be at the end of the year, around October/November, or there about.

- - - Updated - - -

And yes, very much a star wars fan among other's

On one hand, Florida will be cheaper except for the major theme parks. On the other hand, it will be another 4-6 hours of flying and the tickets will probably offset any savings. And October/November is the end of the hurricane season, so you might be stuck in a hotel for a day, but you will get to see rain almost sideways.

The USA is so huge and has so many wonderful places to visit. If you want to divide the USA in two, and consolidate your travels to west coast or east coast, each had numerous wonderful sites to see. West coast, you could see Disneyland/Universal, Yosemite, San Francisco, Redwood National Forest, Yellowstone National Park, Grand Tetons, Grand Canyon (MUST SEE!), Las Vegas, and East Coast: Disneyworld/Universal, New York City, Niagra Falls, Mammoth Caves, Williamsburg, VA., Washington DC, Chicago...etc. !

If you can, you should definately see some of the natural sites, along side some of the created tourist spots! I'm sure your daughter would appreciate them.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a good point, possibly go to Florida for the parks and make my way up to Washington D.C. to have a look about the Smithsonian etc and fly back over to Mt Rushmore for a day trip and maybe San Francisco to LA then home, I'll see how I could possibly plan it.

On one hand, Florida will be cheaper except for the major theme parks. On the other hand, it will be another 4-6 hours of flying and the tickets will probably offset any savings. And October/November is the end of the hurricane season, so you might be stuck in a hotel for a day, but you will get to see rain almost sideways.

- - - Updated - - -

So many choices and places to see.

The USA is so huge and has so many wonderful places to visit. If you want to divide the USA in two, and consolidate your travels to west coast or east coast, each had numerous wonderful sites to see. West coast, you could see Disneyland/Universal, Yosemite, San Francisco, Redwood National Forest, Yellowstone National Park, Grand Tetons, Grand Canyon (MUST SEE!), Las Vegas, and East Coast: Disneyworld/Universal, New York City, Niagra Falls, Mammoth Caves, Williamsburg, VA., Washington DC, Chicago...etc. !

If you can, you should definately see some of the natural sites, along side some of the created tourist spots! I'm sure your daughter would appreciate them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Badges2nz, Do I have this right, You and Daughter #2 are NOT going to Japan? Just Daughter #1 and Mother?

It is a LONG flight to the US, 15 hrs on a plane! It is 10 hrs from Japan. It takes 5 hrs to fly across the U.S.

I say this on behalf of Daughter #2: Please Re-think this Plan!

On a second note: NO, you do NOT want to visit Mt Rushmore! A photo is 10X more exciting than the 2 hr drive to the middle of nowhere, just to view a rock!

My first suggestion is to visit the Many beautiful places in Japan. (which has a Disneyland)

If that is out of the question, and you are set on the U.S. San Francisco is a Beautiful City with many parks, museums, and restaurants. you are about 2 hrs from Yosemite Natl. Park and Lake Tahoe. You can visit Lucasfilm, Golden Gate Park, and take a cruise around the harbor.

After that, maybe meet up with Mother and Daughter #1 in Tokyo and all fly home together?

BTW, I was in Tokyo last year. I loved it!

I can see where you are coming from clonesix, but my #1 daughter is very set in her ways and i know it sounds a bit on the extreme side but with both my #1 and i with aspergers we coped ok to australia last year and that was only 4 hrs.
I suggested that we all go as Japan has everything was there but the usual complaint comes up.
Although in saying that with all that I am planning and the fun that #2 & I are going to have she may be changing her tune and be ok, but still a plane ride with both for that long, could be an international incident waiting to happen.
also I know about driving around to see a rock, my wife and I saw stone henge and yes it was just a pile of rocks in the middle of now where.
just floating ideas at this stage, still plenty of time to plan.
Thanks for the idea of meeting up that could be a good way to share our holiday and have something to talk about on way home.

Last edited:
As part of our travels overseas we always find ways to make it beneficial for our daughter's, or other's we are going to visit, would rather put ourselves out than others.
What I am hoping to do is fly over at night time that way most of the flight is during sleep time.
Also for our #1 daughter having a relaxant to help her calm down over the flight will help keep the anxiety of flying to a minimum.
Thanks for your insight clonesix its always good to hear from others with international flying experience, it can only serve to help, Thank you for that.

Last edited:
The trip to Japan for #1 and mum is a school trip, both mum and #1 have a reduced cost for this as mum is a teacher aide and able to help with kids overseas as she has had more travel time than I have.
Plus she is better equipped to handle #1 with seminars that she has attended for her condition.
Looking at what I have to plan I think it might be best to stay around California this time around maybe with a sneek over to las Vegas as a possiblity (might try and add a metro police badge to my collection).

Hi Badges,

definitely check out Comic Cons as much as possible since that is such a trademark for the US.Since you mentioned Aspergers,the West Coast may be more accessible to you and your daughter.

Hey George, Thank you for that, I'll need to hopefully find out what would be on and hope that I can time it right.
Our last trip to Australia I missed out on the supernova expo, due to me not being on line I missed an opportunity to get a special gift left at a tree in a park I was visiting by Nathan Fillon plus seeing a friend of mine from weta at the con, would have been quite the laugh.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back