Barbarella Assault Rifle Info and Builds

madmacs

I am beginning to research building a replica of Barbarella's Assault rifle. Not the sexy long rifle Adam Savage did for TESTED,
LON25309.jpg
I read a blog a while back from company that had made a short run of replicas, but I can't find it now. I'm beginning to collect reference photos to see if I can get some good profiles to pull some blueprints from. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Always loved that scope and stock. will see if i can dig out some pics, and am looking forward to checking back on your progress.

If I'm remembering correctly, there were two stocks used in different pictures. The "assault rifle" stock is what shows up in the big dogfight scene, but at least one publicity pic used a different one that I am really sort of fond of; the female mannequin hand. Is hard to tell (at least on my VCR copy) but that stock might have also shown up in the Pile 'O Weapons the President of Earth beams out to her early in the movie.

(Made the thing in 3d once. I'm rather fond of that particular one, basically).

I will probably do modeling for both stocks, but will make the one without the hand. I did notice that in the screen caps it looks like three versions appeared on screen at the same time, and the one without the hand was used for the publicity photos.

I was able to find two replicas one by JohnnyHavoc, and another by Daniel Carey-George. themodelmaker.co.uk. The modelmaker one looks pretty close, and looks like it was a private commission. The only images posted appear to be 3D renderings.

Last edited:
Well, I appear to be done with 90% of the barrel model. I still need to model a working trigger assembly to include a switch for the laser pointer I plan to mount inside the barrel. Parts are coming off the printer now!
Render1.jpgRender2.jpg

Hey, thanks for sharing the model!
Did you ever finish this project? Would love to hear about it. I have a Barbarella costume I'm bringing to DragonCon and I'm considering making a gun to go with it!

Also in for updates - my wife has a couple different Barbarella costumes and this would be great for her. Right now she just has a plastic toy gun with a mediocre repaint.

Her tongue box is the first thing I ever built out of Sintra, I've gotten so much better since then and need to revisit it.

https://flic.kr/p/oTNQrW

Hah! Your build is ahead of mine!!!
Let me know if you hit any snags, I just finished building my studio, and am back to working on props again!

20170818_084838.jpg

All finished! The barrel pieces and the stock don't *quite* line up, but I'm very happy with the result. If I did it again, I'd definitely get the stock CNC'd out of actual wood instead of 3d printing it-- it split and I had to glue it back together. I'm pretty sure it'll hold up to DragonCon, but I might add some non-accurate screws for peace of mind.

I'm all done sanding the barrel parts. I still need to add the side grebes. I'm making them out of aluminum stock. There have been a few updates to the files on thingiverse. A little less underbite on the barrel, the Mid block piece has been redesigned and fits better now. I put the laser and LEDs in the mid block today, and am tweaking the design of the trigger group to include the switch. I should be working on the stock this week, and hopefully wrapping this one up soon!

Attachments

• IMG_1030.jpg
    IMG_1030.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 199
It takes a village but mine is finally done! 6 years in the making and one of my Holy Grail Props. Thanks to Lee for all the heavy lifting, Jim for the plating, Gabe for the finish work and I had a hand in it too!

Attachments

• unnamed.png
    unnamed.png
    58.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 20181110_094005.jpg
    20181110_094005.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 76
  • unnamed-10.jpg
    unnamed-10.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_3906.jpg
    IMG_3906.jpg
    331.2 KB · Views: 59

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back