Logan (Post-release)

Saw it last night. Really enjoyed the film, very somber and sad however. Great performances.

Minor criticism, to use the Admantium bullet (I'm guessing 44 Magnum?) You need a 44 Magnum firearm, in this case just the right empty 44 revolver was sitting in the woods...and it could be loaded and shot by a young girl with no firearms training?...really stretching it! That pistol would have at minimum smacked her in the forehead if not completely knocked her off her feet.

Also a 44 Magnum revolver (popularized by Dirty Harry) isn't a tactical weapon you would have expected the goon squad to be armed with. Did it come from somewhere in the film I just blinked and missed?

Last edited:
Saw it last night. Really enjoyed the film, very somber and sad however. Great performances.

Minor criticism, to use the Admantium bullet (I'm guessing 44 Magnum?) You need a 44 Magnum firearm, in this case just the right empty 44 revolver was sitting in the woods...and it could be loaded and shot by a young girl with no firearms training?...really stretching it! That pistol would have at minimum smacked her in the forehead if not completely knocked her off her feet.

Also a 44 Magnum revolver (popularized by Dirty Harry) isn't a tactical weapon you would have expected the goon squad to be armed with. Did it come from somewhere in the film I just blinked and missed?

EH... .44 is a fairly common caliber for use in law enforcement and military, so I have no issue with assuming that the Reavers had .44s. Also, half the point of the movie was that they were trying to make the X-23 kids into killers. Just because they intended to give her Logan's claws, that doesn't necessarily follow that she wouldn't have had some exposure to firearms training.

EH... .44 is a fairly common caliber for use in law enforcement and military, so I have no issue with assuming that the Reavers had .44s. Also, half the point of the movie was that they were trying to make the X-23 kids into killers. Just because they intended to give her Logan's claws, that doesn't necessarily follow that she wouldn't have had some exposure to firearms training.

Everything you mention may be plausible but it struck me as an afterthought, Deus Ex Machina, or Mguffin.

I could be wrong but I don't know any tactical teams outside Hollywood who use revolvers except for style points (44 Mag does rock). Maybe the Reavers got style to compliment their cyborg arms?

I also don't buy those kids would have been trained with firearms.

Last edited:
Did some other online investigation:

I assume it was supposed to be the ammo used by Stryker in Wolverine Origins, he used a Redhawk in what looks to be 44mag, which would be my answer to the question "what round for Wolverine"

Other superhero movies should be ashamed of themselves. That was fantastic.

The end of "Shane" pretty much makes me want to bawl already, so yeah...I was pretty choked up at the end there...

:facepalm

.44 is a very,VERY uncommon round for any police or military work,it's main place and use is civilian i.e. hunters and sport shooting reason being it's rather powerful and recoil makes it less then ideal for combat use,also over penetrates like a muther so not a thing to have if you're dealing with hostages or collateral damage.

It'd have to be either a private owned weapon or just chosen for the power to make sure you get it where it needs.

You guys realize that you're going back and forth over a weapon that may or may not have been carried by The Reavers, a group who in no way is your average run of the mill military unit, right? I mean, I know this is the RPF and obsessing over the little details is par for the course here, but at the end of the day, if where this weapon came from distracts from the overall message of this movie, then you may have bigger issues. Seriously, who cares where it came from. It was there, it was used, it served its purpose. Chekhov would be ok with it. And its totally plausible these kids would have firearms training. They were bred to be living weapons. However performing open heart surgery/major organ transplant in the middle of the woods? C'mon now. Lets not get crazy.

You guys realize that you're going back and forth over a weapon that may or may not have been carried by The Reavers, a group who in no way is your average run of the mill military unit, right? I mean, I know this is the RPF and obsessing over the little details is par for the course here, but at the end of the day, if where this weapon came from distracts from the overall message of this movie, then you may have bigger issues. Seriously, who cares where it came from. It was there, it was used, it served its purpose. Chekhov would be ok with it. And its totally plausible these kids would have firearms training. They were bred to be living weapons. However performing open heart surgery/major organ transplant in the middle of the woods? C'mon now. Lets not get crazy.

My post is just pointing out an actual fact,personally I could care less about it in film but the statement I quoted is wrong I figger since I've been shooting since I was five I can offer some helpful real world advice.

That's all.

There were grown men weeping at the showing I went to. I was not expecting that.

I really enjoyed the film. It was interesting to see how it took Old Man Logan as an inspiration, and just went completely it's own way with it.

If darker super hero films that are R rated become a big trend, I have no problem with that. They may not all be gems, but it's nice to have a few so far that were made from grown ups, and are enjoyable, well made films.

And I agree with Axlotl. If the studio doesn't continue with her in a series of films, New Mutants maybe, I think they have a seriously missed opportunity there. I still can't believe the studio made a film with a little girl committing so many acts of gleeful berserker violence. It was fantastic.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never took it as anything but this is "real life" and those previous movies were "PG versions of what really happened" (much like the comics in the movie)

I came to that conclusion just based on the incredible violence and swearing... This is the "Real Logan and Professor X", not the comic or popcorn movie versions.

If that wasn't the intent, wow, what a missed opportunity.
I had the same thoughts, too. it seems totally on purpose-- hence the vagueness from Mangold. It seems like it was his way of distancing LOGAN from the earlier movies, using the same characters and completely changing the tone without being a reboot. Having the X-Men comics and toys in LOGAN was sooooo cool. Who was it-- Wild Bill or Buffalo Bill that made similar comments about the dime store pulp fiction books written about their adventures? Establish that the outlandish X-MEN movies we know are basically the dime store pulp fiction books to Wolverine.

Does anyone know if there's a Logan cosplay thread (as in the movie Logan not the character). Also does anyone know if official Logan figures will be released by anyone? I'm sure hot toys will do something but I haven't seen or heard anything from anyone else

Just came back from seeing it. Really enjoyed it, 8.5/10 for me.

I like the X24 fights, I wasn't expecting that. I'm curious how they did that, since X24 has short hair and beard and Jackman really had the long hair and beard. Did he have to shave and do some other shots or was it essentially digital make up.

Just came back from seeing it. Really enjoyed it, 8.5/10 for me.

I like the X24 fights, I wasn't expecting that. I'm curious how they did that, since X24 has short hair and beard and Jackman really had the long hair and beard. Did he have to shave and do some other shots or was it essentially digital make up.

X-24 was probably his stunt double and they did some CGI to make him look more Hugh-like.

Just saw this with a friend and I wanted to jot this down before I forget it: I liked it alright. It's not a great end for Hugh's Logan, but it is a good enough note to end on.

The first two-thirds of the film is definitely stronger than the last third for reasons I think others have mentioned before on this thread. For me, there was definitely a marker for when the movie pulled back on running at full steam.

Clone Logan/X-24 was the cut-off point.

The movie moves away from its more dramatic, very "Western", tone and forcibly injected more of that silly, and kinda bad, comic-y elements in the other lesser films before it. It was clear that it was just an easy resolve and provided a mutant-on-mutant spectacle. I think the movie would've worked especially well, if not better, had it just been dropped to begin with and just finagled a few other things in its place (which would've provided something more thematically fitting to the rest of the film's tone).

Also, the chase in the woods with the lame powered kids, and the resolve with the Reaver guy, was pretty lame.

I'm talking both Xavier's death and Logan's. I think the film would've been more poignant had he had one of his episodes at the farm house and wound up killing the family and a few of the oncoming Reavers before he himself died from it. And Logan, dying also of grievous wounds unable to heal from helping the kids, uses the adamantium bullet on himself (being impaled on a tree stump not only didn't make sense but was lame, too). He no longer can continue and no longer wants to continue. He still learns that lesson on "family" but in contrast to Xavier's lack of control or change (despite his efforts to), Logan can make a choice. It also underlines Hugh's wanting to leave the series after just getting beat down by the other films.

Other things I did find bother with (some others have mentioned):
- It does feel a bit gratuitous at times. It really pushed the hard-R, and I don't mind, but cg blood and meatchunks does get repetitive and empty pretty quick.
- Riding off the back of the previous, there's a lot of cg use in this on stuff that I thought would've worked better had it been done practically and relied on editing.
- A part of "modern movie flubs", the constant and odd use of focus pulling, especially in the first third of the film. I don't need the camera constantly reminding me what my attention should be focused on.
- It does rely a bit heavy on the previous knowledge/affection for these characters. I felt that the quiet moments weren't as effective as they could've been because of it. A main plot point is that many mutants have died and that's something we've all seen before. Especially with the main cast. That should be incentive enough to have the camera just be on them more in the space they're in.

The best thing I took away from this was that it reminded me what a good movie Shane is. I think I'm gonna have to give that a rewatch.

If all this movie accomplishes is introducing a bunch of snotty tweens to Shane, it will be a rousing cultural and cinematic victory.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back