Star Lord's new scanner

Zuiun

Sr Member
Watched the new trailer for Guardians 2 tonight. Obviously, the Mattel Football scanner jumped out at me. I own 2 of them (an original and one of the re-pops from the 2000's) -- so I'm in pretty good shape to convert one.

One thing I noticed: The original says "Mattel Electronics" on the top blue sticker, and "Football" on the bottom blue sticker. The re-pop says "Classic Football" on the top and "Mattel" on the bottom. So I'm guessing the prop department got a new one and replaced the top sticker, but left the bottom. Odd. And that creates the first dilemma... Screen accurate? Or era accurate?

Second, anyone have any ideas what the yellow and blue thumb switch is?

Edit: Looking at the switches above and below the control buttons confirms that this is the reissue of the game (from late 90's / early 2000's), and NOT the original unit (which only had a switch under the control buttons). Odd choice by the prop department considering that the originals are ALL over eBay and pretty dirt cheap.

Star Lord.jpg

Last edited:
Just had this debate with my sister, and we came to the same conclusions and questions you did Zuiun. They seem to have taken the Mattel labels from each and merged them. I picked up one of each to build some for the collection.

The switch.... No idea. One look makes me think some sort of lighter, and the next makes me think transistor.... Don't think we'll get that one until the Blu-Ray.

The "thumb switch" very much appears to be a WIREWOUND RESISTOR made by DALE ( now Vishay ), or at least its outer shell. Probably the RH or RER series. Not all will have the same exact size face though, the face (or top) of that one is fairly wide. The shape would change depending on the specs. I have some in stock right now that are longer with a more narrow face/top. It looks like they have the inside of it pulled out somehow or maybe they used something else. They scratched the writing out but you can see what looks like 0003 in the bottom right of that part, that is the date code. Here is a stock photo I found on Digikey and a link to some on ebay that appear fairly close in size, although you can find others on there too that may work better:
DALE RH SERIES RESISTOR.JPG
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DALE-Wirewo...346980?hash=item2ebf24ab24:g:lKkAAOxy06RRHg7Z

For a good laugh go to ebay and search for the Mattel Classic Football. Then click the sold listings options, note the date and prices. Quite the difference a day makes...lol

I jumped online immediately after watching the trailer and snagged a '77 and a '00 for about $50 each last night. Already working on some mods for it.

Get them while you can because they are selling like hotcakes and prices are going up!!! Just got a 1977 and 2000 both for $90.

- - - Updated - - -

Now the big question is how to redo the graphics on the screen to reflect the screengrab? Red blips vs. multiple color is a concern,

Get them while you can because they are selling like hotcakes and prices are going up!!! Just got a 1977 and 2000 both for $90.

- - - Updated - - -

Now the big question is how to redo the graphics on the screen to reflect the screengrab? Red blips vs. multiple color is a concern,

I'm thinking colored vinyl (think camera light gels) with led's behind it should do the trick? Wouldn't have moving blips or anything, but you could wire them up for blinking/flashing.

I'm thinking colored vinyl (think camera light gels) with led's behind it should do the trick? Wouldn't have moving blips or anything, but you could wire them up for blinking/flashing.

A printed transparency is exactly what I was thinking. Maybe even see how much of the existing lighting inside can be repurposed.

I believe @CLWTUSKEN is on the right track in identifying the part. From @Soulinertia photo I read the middle line as EDIT Better eyes prevail CHANGE MY ORIGINAL 4 Omega or 4 Ohms TO 1 Omega or 1 OHM and 3% which indicates a 3 percent tolerance on the value, an indication of precision and quality. These wire wound resisitors have an aluminum shell to help dissipate heat.

EDIT the line above ends in 25W for 25 Watts, a power rating.

Last edited:
Great close up! So this time it's obvious. As I mentioned before the outer piece is a RH series resistor made by Dale. In this case it is specifically a RH-25 25W 1 OHM 3%. The 8003 on the bottom is the date code. You wouldnt NEED to get a 3% to get the same look. Someone on Ebay has the 1% version, its the same thing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VISHAY-DALE...765465?hash=item3f38326159:g:ThAAAOSw7ThUmTRl

Regarding the round knurled piece attached to the side, I have no idea. Could be a knob, a lid, a wheel, a gear? I dont know how they would have pulled the inside of the resistor out, and I dont think it looks like that if they did. They probably cut the terminal off that side and glued that round thing in place. The other piece attached to it looks alot like a toggle bolt/butterfly anchor, except the end in front of his thumb is weird.

I would think that it's a static graphic printed backwards on back lit vinyl then applied to the back of the new face. Meaning the green, the field, everything had been vectored and printed for the new face. The only moving colors we see is the red dot for the creature and a red dot in the upper graph area that moves from left to right. The graph bars do not move. It does look like the triangles on the playing field are lit by a white light. I'm not a electronics expert, but I'm pretty sure that the graphic is completely custom, not just the playing field.

I have the '99/'00 reissue, it works and I have no plans of destroying it for a prop. But yes, I looked on eBay and saw them at an inflated price. Now, there is a new version you can get on Amazon and Walmart, but the case has been totally redesigned and NOT the one you should use. Just an FYI for anyone who happens to see it in the stores.

The new global part # for that item would be RH251R000 followed by a letter to designate tolerance. But they dont make a 3% anymore. The letters/tolerances are:
D = 0.5 %F = 1 %G = 2 %J = 5 %

An example part # could then be RH251R000JS03 (the S03 just calls out 10 per package) A general rule is the lower/tighter the tolerance the higher the price. I just looked around and Avnet Europe is the only disty with stock on them. They run about $7.11 each and they have 20 pieces. I dont see any availability on the other part #'s at all, these are all NCNR items now so noone is really stocking them. I do see some availability (but it's in France) if you just call it out the old way = RH25 25W 1OHM 3%. There are also some companies in California with stock on the 1% version which should be the same size. If you can get the Ebay ones cheap enough that will be your best bet.

I believe @CLWTUSKEN is on the right track in identifying the part. From @Soulinertia photo I read the middle line as 4 Omega or 4 Ohms and 3% which indicates a 3 percent tolerance on the value, an indication of precision and quality. These wire wound resisitors have an aluminum shell to help dissipate heat.

EDIT the line above ends in 25W for 25 Watts, a power rating.

To be clear, I was just asking about the knob attached to the resistor, not the resistor itself. I already have a couple of those on order. Picked 'em up for about $2/ea. :thumbsup

One possibility for the cylindrical portion of the part might be a brass knurled nut. These come is several diameters and lengths so until I have a resistor in hand I am not sure what size would work.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back